Likely future F6B owner
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Likely future F6B owner

Likely future F6B owner

The F6B is on the top of my list for my next motorcycle. My current ride is a Yamaha FJR1300. It's a fine bike, but I've developed an extreme sensitivity to vibration. There's something about that inline 4-cylinder vibration I find especially unpleasant. My wife has a BMW R1200R with a boxer twin, and while it vibrates more, I don't find it nearly as bothersome.

I wasn't going to consider the F6B, but after doing some research, I concluded that a flat six powered bike is the best there is for those who hate vibration. Still, I thought for sure such a heavy bike would handle like a pig and be boring. The first dealer I went to was listed on Honda's website as having a demo F6B. It turned out they didn't, but while I was there I tried out a Honda CTX1300 and a Goldwing. The CTX1300 was truly awful. The handlebars felt completely disconnected from the front wheel, and it was gutless. Then I rode the Goldwing. The handling and power were far better than the much lighter CTX1300. While I was riding it, I thought it would be perfect with a little less weight and a more spacious saddle. So, the next day I found a F6B at a different dealer to take for a spin.

The F6B was perfect. I was surprised how much better it handled than the already great handling Goldwing. The lighter weight helped in the power department too, but the difference wasn't quite as dramatic. While I felt cramped on the Goldwing, the F6B felt just right.

I'm so glad I found the F6B. I feel like I won't have to give up any fun to enjoy the smooth running flat six.

My wife was less enthusiastic about the F6B. She didn't like the footpeg position, thought it was too heavy, and needed more power. But, she didn't hate it so much that she wouldn't borrow it for cold weather commuting. I promised her I would try a BMW R1200RT once the recall fiasco is resolved. I know it will faster and better handling, but there's just something about that F6B that does it for me. Plus, I hate the thought of having another BMW in the household to take across town for service. The Honda dealer is within walking distance.

My wife suffers a similar malady from the vibrations. The F6B was the solution and has turned out to be the perfect choice. I rode the BMW, but I wasn't impressed. It was fast and handled good, but the ride didn't compare to the F6B.

The Flat 6 engine is the smoothest motor I've experienced on any bike. Not sure why your wife would think it needs more power. Did she rev it up to 4-5 grand before shifting. The bike is a rocket!

Quote Originally Posted by XKnight View Post
    Not sure why your wife would think it needs more power.
    I mistyped. She didn't think it would have enough power for me. While it may not be as fast as my last few bikes, I think I'll be quite satisfied with that smooth torquey engine.

So you knew it was coming.....

We want to see your new bike!
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

I don't have the bike yet. The soonest I'll have the funding in place is probably the end of August. I did take a photo of my wife after she took her turn on the demo F6B.

I asked her to smile, but she didn't want people to think she actually liked the bike. Secretly, I think she loves the bike but doesn't want her BMW friends to find out.

She definitely doesn't look pleased.

We may be having another F6B owner in our house too. My wife Kim has been looking at the CTX1300 really hard but she now wants to take a spin on my 6. She handles her '98 Valkyrie very well but was looking to go a little lighter. Even though the 6 is slightly heavier than her Valkyrie Tourer I think she will find it easier to handle. The smaller front tire is a plus. I think the single thing that will woo her to the F6B is the.... radio.

Attachment 6555
    '97 Valkyrie Tourer, SOLD!
    '98 Valkyrie Tourer, traded for wife's F6B
    '99 Valkyrie Tourer, traded in on MY NEW F6B!!!!
    '05 Shadow Spirit 750 traded for wife's F6B
    '05 Triumph Rocket 3, gone but not forgotten
    2013 F6B, black standard.
    2013 F6B, red Deluxe for the wife.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Mrs. Scotrod rides her own F6B,,,,,

HEY!!! Didn't someone once mention the idea of (2), yes, TWO F6B's to you before!!???!!!

Chessy - I reposted the picture on the BMW site!
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt