Bad things about the F6B...

Thread: Bad things about the F6B...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bad things about the F6B...

1400 mile road trip
    1. No cruise control real pain in my wrist, though about selling the motorcycle or trading it in.
    2. Seat only because the seat does not breath, swamp asr sucks!
    3. Kickstand behind the riders peg, limits range of motion also shut off motorcycle when down so I would not recommend resting your heal on it.
    4. Stock windshield as we all know it all about looks and has zero function.
    5. Speedlimiter not only limits your speed but reduces it at 125 MPH
    6. Suspension at 115-125 in the twisty's flexs making the motorcycle unstable to ride at those speeds, now some will say well you should not be doing the speeds anyway, yes you are correct but your motorcycle suspension should be able to handle what ever speed your motorcycle is capable of, end of story.
    7. Shifting pattern around town, this is definatley not a commuter motorcycle for the city or suburb, it is still a highway motorcycle, its lenght is just another point to that matter.

What I did like...
    1. Exceleration was excellent in overdrive at any speed.
    2. Storage fit everthing I need for 5 days, and everthing else in a seat bag.
    3. Using the IPod was simple and kept it charge
    4. Ride was smooth and comfortable minus the above seat issue.
    5. Was able to shield my self from road spray and light rain.
    6. Gas mileage was good save $$ by taking the motorcycle instead of a car.
    7. The compliments on the motorcycle gave a sence pride in ownership.
    8. How quite the ride is.
    9. The motorcycle is easy to clean.
    DOD Retired Cold War, Operation Promote Liberty, Operation Enduring Freedom, Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran. PPR (PAINt proBLEM registry) Member! Current rides: 1984 Harley Davidson FXST Softail 1340, 2013 Honda GoldWing F6B 1832, 2014 BMW R nine T 1170

All can be fixed if you want to easily enough.

Never seen a perfect bike I would not change something on given time or want.

Pains in the wrist? I have training in Ergonomics (big deal). This is occurring from wrist not being at zero degrees with stress for extended periods. So I am assuming your wrist was in the downward position while you were cranking the beast to 125 mph. Wrist position on our bikes is the same as in the office in the neutral position, which is flat where there is less strain. After adjusting the throttle to the desired position the wrist and palm should be adjusted to this neutral position. A Cramp Buster will allow you to rest your fingers from the death grip on the throttle and relax the hand.

Just food for thought. Ok, that's my two cents! Flame away.
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

You can easily get a cruise control/throttle lock, new seat and a taller windshield. I know I'll never be riding at 115 - 125 MPH through the twisties so those complaints don't mean anything to me. Haven't had any issues with the location of the kickstand or the shifting either. The positives far out way the negatives you mentioned, especially since the negatives are easily corrected. That being said, if you don't like the bike then definitely get something that suits you better.

That's why I have an Ultimate King seat, a KW windshield and a crampbuster. I don't care how poorly it handles above 100 mph. That's a purely academic matter to me.

Sounds like a little bit of unrealistic expectations. Like you want the bike to handle like a sport bike, but be as comfortable as a road couch. The reason sport bikes do so well at maximum speeds in the twisties is because they are short, light, and put all of the rider's weight as compactly in the center of the bike as humanly possible. That makes for a bike that would put most human sized people in traction if they rode like that for more than 500 miles, much less 1400.

As mentioned, many of the comfort issues can be overcome with the aftermarket. I've had cramp busters on multiple bikes, and they can't beat cruise control but they are very nice for long rides.

As to the handling, I know a guy - I followed him for many miles on my much smaller bike - who absolutely rails it on a full size gold wing - with un modified suspension. Another also with stock suspension was super smooth and fast. I never believed a bike that big could handle so well, until I saw it in person.

Pretty much any length of time at 125 mph should be done on the track, not on public streets, or you're asking to get dead or kill someone else, my opinion.
    2013 Honda F6B custom orange
    2009 Kawasaki Versys aka "Dr Doom"
    2009 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Stormtrooper"
    2003 Suzuki Burgman 400 "Yoda"

Quote Originally Posted by FlatSixBagger View Post
    7. Shifting pattern around town, this is definatley not a commuter motorcycle for the city or suburb, it is still a highway motorcycle, its lenght is just another point to that matter.
    Interesting. I find the F6B to be the perfect commuter motorcycle (for me). I ride to downtown from the 'burbs 26 miles each way every day. She handles like a pregnant sportbike in the twisties, easy to maneuver in traffic, and the best part -- has enough storage to hold my laptop, lunch, and gym bag, so I don't have to carry an overstuffed backpack (like I used to on my previous 'commuter' bike). I can handle/maneuver her pretty deftly in parking lots or in slow-speed situations, she's balanced really well.

Not sure what you're talking to on the shifting pattern. I do wish she had a taller 5th or a 6th gear for economy. Other than that, pretty smooth shifting, plenty of torque in any gear -- unlike what you'll find in that Road Glide.

One more thing -- why is this thread under Rides, Trips, and Gatherings?