Bad things about the F6B...
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Bad things about the F6B...

Bad things about the F6B...

1400 mile road trip
    1. No cruise control real pain in my wrist, though about selling the motorcycle or trading it in.
    2. Seat only because the seat does not breath, swamp asr sucks!
    3. Kickstand behind the riders peg, limits range of motion also shut off motorcycle when down so I would not recommend resting your heal on it.
    4. Stock windshield as we all know it all about looks and has zero function.
    5. Speedlimiter not only limits your speed but reduces it at 125 MPH
    6. Suspension at 115-125 in the twisty's flexs making the motorcycle unstable to ride at those speeds, now some will say well you should not be doing the speeds anyway, yes you are correct but your motorcycle suspension should be able to handle what ever speed your motorcycle is capable of, end of story.
    7. Shifting pattern around town, this is definatley not a commuter motorcycle for the city or suburb, it is still a highway motorcycle, its lenght is just another point to that matter.

What I did like...
    1. Exceleration was excellent in overdrive at any speed.
    2. Storage fit everthing I need for 5 days, and everthing else in a seat bag.
    3. Using the IPod was simple and kept it charge
    4. Ride was smooth and comfortable minus the above seat issue.
    5. Was able to shield my self from road spray and light rain.
    6. Gas mileage was good save $$ by taking the motorcycle instead of a car.
    7. The compliments on the motorcycle gave a sence pride in ownership.
    8. How quite the ride is.
    9. The motorcycle is easy to clean.
    DOD Retired Cold War, Operation Promote Liberty, Operation Enduring Freedom, Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran. PPR (PAINt proBLEM registry) Member! Current rides: 1984 Harley Davidson FXST Softail 1340, 2013 Honda GoldWing F6B 1832, 2014 BMW R nine T 1170

All can be fixed if you want to easily enough.

Never seen a perfect bike I would not change something on given time or want.

Pains in the wrist? I have training in Ergonomics (big deal). This is occurring from wrist not being at zero degrees with stress for extended periods. So I am assuming your wrist was in the downward position while you were cranking the beast to 125 mph. Wrist position on our bikes is the same as in the office in the neutral position, which is flat where there is less strain. After adjusting the throttle to the desired position the wrist and palm should be adjusted to this neutral position. A Cramp Buster will allow you to rest your fingers from the death grip on the throttle and relax the hand.

Just food for thought. Ok, that's my two cents! Flame away.
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

You can easily get a cruise control/throttle lock, new seat and a taller windshield. I know I'll never be riding at 115 - 125 MPH through the twisties so those complaints don't mean anything to me. Haven't had any issues with the location of the kickstand or the shifting either. The positives far out way the negatives you mentioned, especially since the negatives are easily corrected. That being said, if you don't like the bike then definitely get something that suits you better.

That's why I have an Ultimate King seat, a KW windshield and a crampbuster. I don't care how poorly it handles above 100 mph. That's a purely academic matter to me.

Sounds like a little bit of unrealistic expectations. Like you want the bike to handle like a sport bike, but be as comfortable as a road couch. The reason sport bikes do so well at maximum speeds in the twisties is because they are short, light, and put all of the rider's weight as compactly in the center of the bike as humanly possible. That makes for a bike that would put most human sized people in traction if they rode like that for more than 500 miles, much less 1400.

As mentioned, many of the comfort issues can be overcome with the aftermarket. I've had cramp busters on multiple bikes, and they can't beat cruise control but they are very nice for long rides.

As to the handling, I know a guy - I followed him for many miles on my much smaller bike - who absolutely rails it on a full size gold wing - with un modified suspension. Another also with stock suspension was super smooth and fast. I never believed a bike that big could handle so well, until I saw it in person.

Pretty much any length of time at 125 mph should be done on the track, not on public streets, or you're asking to get dead or kill someone else, my opinion.
    2013 Honda F6B custom orange
    2009 Kawasaki Versys aka "Dr Doom"
    2009 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Stormtrooper"
    2003 Suzuki Burgman 400 "Yoda"

9 for and 7 against....almost thought you were going to sell the gurl..........
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Smile I agree with comments above

Darcym said it perfect. I agree it sucks to spend more money to make things right for you but that's the way it is for any motorcycle out there. I made mine fit me by doing the following:

I immediately put different windshield on (I use adjustable Baggershield dark tinted and for me it is great, I love the looks).

I put a different seat (I use Mustang but there are many other fine choices).

I put Throttlemeister cruise lock (I like it a lot, easy to use and I think it improves the looks of the handlebar from stock)

For suspension is fine, it feels much better than my previous 2007 GW or Road King. Only a few times in my life I tried going over 120mph just to see wthat that's like. It was in the straight, empty road and I rode BMW K1200LT then. Didn't really do much for me except scare me as I was thinking 'What if a dog happens to walk in front of me?' I only did it for a few seconds. I remember the trees seem to go by super fast. No time to react if anything happen up ahead. Also, my front tire on GW used to do cupping very bad and handlebar would shake at low speeds. F6B does not do that and I have about 16,000 miles on front tire so far and it still has life left!

I have no trouble keeping with most anybody in the twisties on the F6B. In the real world and not on the track one must account for many things such as gravel you can't see in the curve until you are right on it. There was a guy at Deals Gap on Yellow GW that would follow any bike thru the twisties and make a video of them, here is the youtube link of him riding:

http://youtu.be/VxHNnOHuikI

So, GW and therefore F6B are perfectly capable bikes especially for their size. But, you could change suspension too however the cost for that is not worth it IMHO. I also read about adding a front fork brace, I haven't yet myself, the reviews say it makes handling up front better and less flex.

I also added Rivco Aeropegs. I like them a lot, they work fine for me at 6' tall. I think they look great (mine are black) and I was asked many of times by GW owners to show them how they work.

So far have not even noticed kickstand location while riding but thanks for the tip, I will try not to hit it while riding. Also, not sure why shifting pattern is bad around town, it is the same as any other bike. I agree first gear seems too low, I start at lights in second gear very often and no problems as the bike has plenty of torque.

So, don't sweat the small stuff, improve the things you must and just enjoy riding one of the best bikes bever made!

Do not get me wrong I rarely go over 100, but wanted to test capabilities, I am actually very happy with the motorcycle except for lack of cruise, I new Roadglide for 2015 has been release, I will look at but doubt it will be as good as the F6B but will need a solution to cruise I ride 15,000-30,000 and lack of cruise which I thought I could do without may have been in error.
    DOD Retired Cold War, Operation Promote Liberty, Operation Enduring Freedom, Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran. PPR (PAINt proBLEM registry) Member! Current rides: 1984 Harley Davidson FXST Softail 1340, 2013 Honda GoldWing F6B 1832, 2014 BMW R nine T 1170

I found a few things I didn't like about the bike.
    1)Screen
    2)Having to use the key to unlock the luggage and the fact that my FF helmet would not fit no matter how I twisted it.

My wife didn't like the pillion back rest far too low.

I solved these issues by ordering a new screen KW is on way and I removed the backrest and added a Shad 48lt topbox, with optional backrest, which resolved the other issues.

Those will likely be my only mods.