Building a Rear Speaker Set - Ohm Question? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building a Rear Speaker Set - Ohm Question?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    The speaker leads are under the seat for the rear speakers. How well the OEM amplifier will power some rear speakers will be dependent upon many variables. Of course you could always add an amplifier, but in my efforts to upgrade the audio system on my bike, I found the best way to add an amp, was to get the pre amp signal straight from the audio unit before it went to the amplifier. This requires a little more work , but doable. However , many probably won't want to got through the same effort as I did. BTW, I am only running front speakers , which I have changed to Polk Audio MM series component speakers , plus I have a sub and well, I'm extremely pleased.
    Thank you Jimmytee for a fast response! My thinking is if there are speaker leads for rear speakers already on the bike why not just try a set of speakers. I would think that Honda is using the same radio/amp system as in a Goldwing, which powers the rear speakers just fine. If not, I guess adding an amp or amplified speakers is a must. Heck, on radio itself there is fade control, which I assume is there if rear speakers are also added. I put mine on just the front speakers to make sure they're as strong as possible.

Adding rear speakers on chopped tour pak seems to me as very clean installation, I'd love to try.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'We are all here on Earth to help others; what on Earth the others are here for I don't know.' - W. H. Auden

Dual Voice Coil Speakers!

Hey, here is a new idea.

I am still not happy with my rear 4" speakers. They add a bit, but are otherwise totally useless.

So, I thought about putting a 4"x10" dual coil speaker between the handle bars. I could get more bass and the sound would be close to me (maybe I could actually hear it).

So, now the new idea. Why not replace the original front speakers with some dual voice coil speakers, and connect both the front and rear wiring to them??

We would effectively have four speakers up front. We could get twice the power without changing anything (except the speakers). Maybe the SRS feature would even do something.

Feedback? Any guinea pigs?

This is not a suggested choice, just an example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RetroSound-D...1c9ea1&vxp=mtr
    Albuquerque, NM

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
    Thank you Jimmytee for a fast response! My thinking is if there are speaker leads for rear speakers already on the bike why not just try a set of speakers. I would think that Honda is using the same radio/amp system as in a Goldwing, which powers the rear speakers just fine. If not, I guess adding an amp or amplified speakers is a must. Heck, on radio itself there is fade control, which I assume is there if rear speakers are also added. I put mine on just the front speakers to make sure they're as strong as possible.

Adding rear speakers on chopped tour pak seems to me as very clean installation, I'd love to try.
    Yes, the OEM set up is for four channels ,same as the fully dressed Gold Wing. You don't need an extra amp to add rear speakers. Don't know how well they'd perform. It would depend on the speakers. It should be the same power as the front channels.

Quote Originally Posted by 98valk View Post
    Hey, here is a new idea.

I am still not happy with my rear 4" speakers. They add a bit, but are otherwise totally useless.

So, I thought about putting a 4"x10" dual coil speaker between the handle bars. I could get more bass and the sound would be close to me (maybe I could actually hear it).

So, now the new idea. Why not replace the original front speakers with some dual voice coil speakers, and connect both the front and rear wiring to them??

We would effectively have four speakers up front. We could get twice the power without changing anything (except the speakers). Maybe the SRS feature would even do something.

Feedback? Any guinea pigs?

This is not a suggested choice, just an example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RetroSound-D...1c9ea1&vxp=mtr
    Sounds like an interesting idea, but it would be highly dependent on the quality of the speakers what you'd end up with.