Historically speaking...Polictical - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Historically speaking...Polictical

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    With the exception of Jainism all religions have violent pasts after all my God is bigger than your God has been the battle cry for centuries.
    True Dat.

It's just some current ones haven't figured out it doesn't help.
    "Great Britain's a great country, but it's not an idea ... that's how we see [America] around the world, one of the greatest ideas in human history." Bono

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    Extremist's of any type that encourage/use violence to support/promote their cause are a plight.

In some ways, there does seem to be a 'trend/link' towards 'Muslim', but I believe the sheer numbers of Muslims worldwide make it seem notable,,, while the percentage of Muslim Males committing these acts is actually quite small.

...I do feel sorrow for any person unjustly targeted by their creed/religion/sex. I wish there was a way to look at everyone with the same 'vision', but, when religious extremism is a factor in the 'act', then religion becomes a part of the 'search' for perpetrators,,, I'm not sure it can be done otherwise, but it's not a pleasant thing for the other 9,999 folks who had nothing to do with it.

(Disclaimer: While the terms 'act' and 'Muslim' were thrown around freely in my post, I do not claim to be an expert on terrorism, the Muslim faith, or mean to insinuate any connection between the 2 which may imply muslim = terrorist. IMHO, there are far smaller groups with far greater percentages of criminal activity than any 'religion')
    I find this post a little OTT, especially when this forum has people of other nations than America and possibly other relations than Christianity and that it was made by a mod saddens me. We are on this forum because we all share a common pleasure. Politics and religious bigotry have no place here IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallPasture View Post
    ...Perhaps the use of Muslim where it should say Islamist Extremists?

Just as Scotrod states, "Extremist's of any type that encourage/use violence to support/promote their cause are a plight.s"

+1
    "1.21 gigawatts?! 1.21 GIGAWATTS??! Great Scott!!"

I have neither the time nor the inclination to research specifics of history regarding incidents of "cleansing" or "conversion" of dissenters or non-believers by extremist perpetrators of Christianity or Catholicism. Suffice it to say that Islamic extremists are NOT the only guilty parties in this world.

This country was not founded on the principle of "One Religion". It was founded on principles of RELIGIOUS FREEDOM, and of TOLERANCE and of REPRESENTATION in GOVERNANCE. "All for me and none for you", "My way, or the highway!" and "Global Conquest!" were NOT what the Founding Fathers had in mind.

Americans are not selfish people. In fact, some of the most caring, generous people I have ever met in my life are those who have not.
    And some of the most selfish, despicable people I have ever met are well to do and hold places of power.

My spirituality and membership in the race called Human compels me to assist my fellows. By that I mean: if a person cannot afford food, or housing, or medicine or education and I can... then I am bound by my humanity to help lift that person up and lend a hand. My life is made richer when I can enrich the life of another.

Am I diminished because I give? Not at all.

Does my family suffer or go hungry because I give? Not when I give what I can afford.

Does living my life require that I be selfish and greedy? No.

Am I defined by the amount of money I hoard? Will Heaven open her doors to me sooner if I am wealthy, though insensitive to the plight of those less fortunate? No, she will not.

The greatest problem I see in this powerful country is the FACT that the two politically EXTREME factions that hold power REFUSE to COOPERATE and COMPROMISE as each attempts to outmaneuver the other to command the power of leadership. And by the very nature of politics, good people lose sight of the meaning of good governance and become corrupted, thus the process becomes corrupt and those who are to be governed become disheartened.

The "idea" of universal health care is noble. The "idea" of quality, affordable public education is noble. The "idea" of available and affordable food and housing is noble.

Unfortunately, the political and religious extremists have corrupted the process, created distrust, fear and hatred, and have allowed this country and, in fact, this planet, to spiral into the dismal state that it is in.

As I see it, the ONLY fix for this in this country is to forsake the two major parties. Vote them ALL out and replace them with MODERATE INDEPENDENTS.

Do you think that would send a signal?
    "1.21 gigawatts?! 1.21 GIGAWATTS??! Great Scott!!"

Nothing is what it seems...

Attachment 6603

" Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

shooter
    I find this post a little OTT, especially when this forum has people of other nations than America and possibly other relations than Christianity and that it was made by a mod saddens me. We are on this forum because we all share a common pleasure. Politics and religious bigotry have no place here IMHO.
    It's not hatred. It's not racist. It's the truth. Maybe you're just a little sensitive. That's one of the things wrong with this country. People are too soft to hear the truth. Too sensitive to do what needs to be done. Go hide in the closet, maybe someone will protect you.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    Like SP said, perhaps 'Islamic Extremists' might have been a better choice of words than Muslim.

Unfortunately, both 'muslim' and 'terrorists' have been used in the same sentence so many times by the news media that folks seem to associate one with the other. We all need to be vigilant in our own understanding that Muslim does not automatically mean Extremist nor does it mean terrorist. No more than 'Texan' or 'Baptist' means extremist/terrorist.

Politics is 'fair game' here as long as it's in the 'Off topic' thread, which is where this post is located.

I try to avoid the 'off topic' area, but Steve's been on a rampage here lately and I keep getting snookered into it!!!

LOL!!!
    It seems to me that there are better venues than this to rant at. That said all religions have violence in them, try reading the old testament ( my personal guide to life in a post apocalyptic America). The old eye for an eye, stoning adulterers and genocide on competing tribes seems like a reasonable way to live in a lawless nation. That's it I'm done lets go shoot some fireworks.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    It's not hatred. It's not racist. It's the truth. Maybe you're just a little sensitive. That's one of the things wrong with this country. People are too soft to hear the truth. Too sensitive to do what needs to be done. Go hide in the closet, maybe someone will protect you.
    1st I'm not American and only lived there briefly
    2nd no one who knows me would ever accuse me of being sensitive
    3rd it's only the truth in the same way that 100% of people who breath air die therefore breathing is dangerous

Also if it wasn't for America's interference with world politics to prevent the spread of Communism, using their resources to back the Mujahideen when they were fighting the Russians and placing people like Sadam in power this would not have occurred. Check out Operation Cyclone http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Cyclone American tax dollars at work.

To be honest the statements are very racist and have no place here

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    What do you think we could be doing that we are not already doing? There hasn't been a significant terrorist attack in the U.S. since 9/11, and we continue to drone the living daylights out of terrorists (yes, Muslim terrorists) wherever we can find them.

Tolerance for other religions and recognizing that only a tiny minority from that religion actually commit terrorist actions doesn't mean that we are on the long slide to sharia law. I swear to God, some people actually believe that this is where we are headed (and that our President wants this!).

Believe what you want, I just think it would be better for your nerves and blood pressure if you cut people some slack. America is way, way, WAY bigger than this threat. If we could beat the British, survive a bloody civil war, win two world wars and defeat communism, we can outlast this.

Maybe I just believe in America more than you do.

It's a fact that the worst instances of domestic terrorism since the 70s have been from right wing extremists. Should we witch hunt those on the right? Something tells me you wouldn't appreciate that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-wing_terrorism

Attachment 6611

Attachment 6612

Attachment 6613