Need audiophile help please.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need audiophile help please.

Need audiophile help please.

Although I love to listen to music, I have never spent a lot of money on music or equipment. over the last couple of days I have spent 50.00 on Itunes in anticipation of riding on my new bike. What is the easiest way for me to listen to that music and have some control over what I listen to. Thanks in advance.

I just throw all my music on a thumb drive and plug it into cable in left saddlebag. You can adjust volume and folders and songs with left hand controls.
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

choptop make sure you us one of the audio file players that works with
    the Honda it does not like all audio players if not it will not play well
    plenty of post about this.

I use a Apple Ipod and plug it in the saddlebag port.I can control everything from the handlebar controls.Change songs/volume works great
    Ride it like you stole it

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    I've tried to be content with listening to music played through the OEM speakers while wearing a helmet,,,

I guess the best way to put it is "it doesn't quite fulfill my listening expectations" and leave it at that, so,,,,

I'm venturing into the land of helmet speakers.

I rec'd and installed a set of TORK XPRO helmet speakers last weekend. I'm waiting on a few more parts to complete the system, and I haven't road-tested them yet, but I hooked up the helmet to my PC and they are far better sounding than the wing speakers or the SENA SMH-10 speakers in our Bluetooth com sets.

They are rated at far more mW than what my PC puts out, and most likely far more than the Honda OEM DIN output.

FIIO makes some pretty decent/economical headphone amps, or so I'm told,,, have one of them on order,,

I purchased a DIN adapter to plug into the Honda audio system.

I did mention SENA Bluetooth sets a bit ago,,, I have (2) plans,, One with and one w/o the Sena's.

Music source for both systems will be USB stick in saddlebag. USB run through handlebar controls out to Honda DIN plug / Din adapter, then it goes:

(1) Straight to the amp and into the helmet/speakers.

(2) Plug the DIN adapter output (3.5 mm Stereo plug) direct into the SMH - 10 unit itself. Sena makes a separate baseplate for the SMH-10's ($30) that have an output for earbuds/speakers. (3.5 stereo plug again) Connect output to amp then speakers.

The 2nd set up should allow the wife and I to com and also listen to my tunes through the 'Wing controls.

I've previously hooked my Sansa clip direct into the SMH-10 unit, but the 'medium' output of the Sansa combined with the Sena OEM speakers was a rather 'shrill and unfulfilling' experience!!!

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I have spent 50.00 on Itunes .
    DISCLAIMER:

I am not 'well versed' on ITunes or their capability's, but,,,,

In speaking with a Gwing rider last weekend, I believe this is what he said:

I believe he had an Iphone hooked to the USB input in his trunk. He mentioned he had "Iheart radio", or something to that effect, and listed to that combination through his phone going down the road. the only disadvantage was, if he lost signal, he had to stop and fiddle with the phone in the trunk to get the tunes back.

Again, I have zero experience with that kind of set up, so maybe I'm completely mistaken. Surely someone more tech-savy can comment or correct 'what I thought he said'.

Why buy music

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    DISCLAIMER:

I am not 'well versed' on ITunes or their capability's, but,,,,

In speaking with a Gwing rider last weekend, I believe this is what he said:

I believe he had an Iphone hooked to the USB input in his trunk. He mentioned he had "Iheart radio", or something to that effect, and listed to that combination through his phone going down the road. the only disadvantage was, if he lost signal, he had to stop and fiddle with the phone in the trunk to get the tunes back.

Again, I have zero experience with that kind of set up, so maybe I'm completely mistaken. Surely someone more tech-savy can comment or correct 'what I thought he said'.
    I just plug my iPhone into the audio cable in the front left fairing compartment and set Audio input to 'Aux', and rock and roll to iHeartRadio, Pandora, or whatever audio streaming app I want on my iPhone. No need to navigate files/folders/artists/songs, set up a Pandora station and go. And it's free.

I do have tons of iTunes songs on the phone, and have thought about hooking it up in the left saddlebag and trying to play them that way, but the navigation/control is a hassle, even in my wife's SUV that has GOOD/intuitive controls. We do Pandora/iHeartRadio in her SUV, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post

FIIO makes some pretty decent/economical headphone amps, or so I'm told,,, have one of them on order,,
    I have one and use it on my Hayabusa. The FIIO is a GREAT PRODUCT!
    Thanks Jim - a.k.a. Bama Bagger

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny".

~ Thomas Jefferson

edit: BIG BOO BOO

Should be @choptop

My apologies, Scottrod

Page 95 of the owners manual describes what storage formats you can use with the USB port in the rear saddlebag. Personally if I'm traveling with music I use an inexpensive USB drive. After all, the on screen menu display up front is the same if you're using a stick or an ipod touch, ect.. and I doubt there is any difference in the integrity of sound on either storage option if you use similar mp3 file sizes.

For listening I'm experimenting with a cheap [at 68.00] hardwired J&M open face headset and mic - part #HS-8154B-OF through Wingstuff. They're not the fastest in shipping but the price was right.

Passenger pigtail part number #HSPT-GL15 if you want to hook up your passenger.

The audio through the headset in radio and USB on the bike, on a scale of 1-10, is about 7.5-8.0

The more expensive Bluetooth units get my attention but I also like the fact that with a wired set there's no fuss associated with charging or pairing and the bike already has AM/FM/Intercom, so why duplicate?

Ride safe!
    Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!

Quote Originally Posted by unsub View Post
    @Scottrod

. Personally if I'm traveling with music I use an inexpensive USB drive.

Same here, just not happy w/ sound quality of the Honda speakers filtered through my helmet.

For listening I'm experimenting with a cheap [at 68.00] hardwired J&M open face headset and mic - part #HS-8154B-OF through Wingstuff. They're not the fastest in shipping but the price was right.

Passenger pigtail part number #HSPT-GL15 if you want to hook up your passenger.

No passengers, and the wife rides her own bike. I'd need a pigtail and an extra-long cable to hook her up to my bike!

The audio through the headset in radio and USB on the bike, on a scale of 1-10, is about 7.5-8.0

The more expensive Bluetooth units get my attention but I also like the fact that with a wired set there's no fuss associated with charging or pairing and the bike already has AM/FM/Intercom, so why duplicate?

Ride safe!
    Thanks for the tips,,, We already have the Sena Bluetooth units and they work pretty darn good for bike to bike com,,, just upgrading the 'speaker-side' of things now.