Full face or modular? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Full face or modular?

Quote Originally Posted by fxdl2051 View Post
    Looks cool, how quiet are they? Need something else, my HJC 3/4 is driving me nuts with all it's noise and rattling in the wind.
    I have a Shark Evoline and ride with it mostly in 3/4 mode and find it relatively quiet. Wearing ear plugs and having a tall windshield helps with the quietness.

I am somewhat claustrophobic and cannot wear a full face helmet as it drives me "nuts" so to speak..Tried a couple of modular helmets and had the same effect...Just recently bought a 3/4 face Shoei J-Cruise and it is super quiet and fits great..My current glasses are a PITA to get on with the helmet and I plan on getting frames that fit straight back over the ears which my fellow riders tell me works a lot better.
    Otherwise it is a excellent helmet, much more quite and better fitting that my HJC which is a good helmet but $300 cheaper than the Shoei.....

Quote Originally Posted by XKnight View Post
    I have a Shark Evoline and ride with it mostly in 3/4 mode and find it relatively quiet. Wearing ear plugs and having a tall windshield helps with the quietness.
    That's exactly why I'm trying to move AWAY from the Evoline: I found myself in 3/4 most of the time and then what is the point? I was determined to "force" myself back to full face at the start of this year. Unfortunately, the Lazer Falcon I settled on isn't all it's cracked up to be. So I might be on to another helmet at the beginning of next year -- we'll see. Full face is the way to go safety wise. No one will convince me other wise. But then, we don't ride to be safe in the first place, do we?

Two things on the Evoline (and I have the 2) before getting off the topic: You do catch some air and helmet lift with it open that you wouldn't with a well designed, dedicated 3/4. Not horrible, but still evident. Secondly, I swear it makes me even more bobble head self conscious than any other helmet I've had. Makes me feel like Wes Welker or Eli Manning out there. The Evoline is a nice option for someone wanting the best of both worlds. I just found I was kidding myself personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Injun Joe View Post
    That's exactly why I'm trying to move AWAY from the Evoline: I found myself in 3/4 most of the time and then what is the point? I was determined to "force" myself back to full face at the start of this year. Unfortunately, the Lazer Falcon I settled on isn't all it's cracked up to be. So I might be on to another helmet at the beginning of next year -- we'll see. Full face is the way to go safety wise. No one will convince me other wise. But then, we don't ride to be safe in the first place, do we?

Two things on the Evoline (and I have the 2) before getting off the topic: You do catch some air and helmet lift with it open that you wouldn't with a well designed, dedicated 3/4. Not horrible, but still evident. Secondly, I swear it makes me even more bobble head self conscious than any other helmet I've had. Makes me feel like Wes Welker or Eli Manning out there. The Evoline is a nice option for someone wanting the best of both worlds. I just found I was kidding myself personally.
    Yeah, I don't like the Shark Evoline in full face mode. It's way noisier in FF mode than my Shoei Qwest which is what I wear when the temps get cooler. What's nice about the Shark is that I can wear it comfortably in 3/4 mode in the spring/summer and when it rains I can transform it to full face. I have tried wearing FF helmets in the summer, but it's just too hot and uncomfortable for me. Like most enjoyable things in life, riding a bike has significant risks and rewards and we all have to make choices as to the risk level we are comfortable with.

I currently prioritize safety.
    Just got a Shoei RF1200 - comfortable on my head, well ventilated, SNELL and DOT approved.

I am leaning to a 3/4 helmet however I have always had a full face. I replace helmets every 4 years as my head is worth more than any helmet on earth. Stilo makes a great WRC composite as well as a carbon fibre. NOT Cheap.

shooter
    Shoei Neotec. Flat Black and Gloss Black. I like the versatility of the Modular with the integral sunshade and clear shield. Day or Night riding. You can get a drink or talk on the phone without removing the helmet. Scala Rider's complete the system. Best Helmets and communicators I've used.

Direct Input from Wife

"If you get any uglier, I'm leaving you!"
    Even though I'm pretty sure she's kidding.....Full face always.
    Bell, HD, Shoei RF1100, now fast forward 4 years, Shoei RF1200.
    I tell her I can't in good conscience put a price on my good looks!
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce