Full face or modular? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Full face or modular?

Remember- only a Full face helmet can get the Snell certification, which means multiple impacts. DOT focuses on initial impact.
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

Quote Originally Posted by Fla_rider View Post
    Remember- only a Full face helmet can get the Snell certification, which means multiple impacts. DOT focuses on initial impact.
    I never knew that....good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Fla_rider View Post
    That can't be true. My Arai CT-Z is an open-face helmet, but it's Snell certified.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMike View Post
    That can't be true. My Arai CT-Z is an open-face helmet, but it's Snell certified.
    There are only 2 modulars that are SNELL rated.

The LS2 FF394 and the Zeus 3000.

That being said, neither one appear to actually be available for purchase.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    And then, there is always the 'Is the Snell rating a 'must have'?' debate,,,

(The baseball cap guys don't worry too much about that one,,, )

Snell is nice, but if I find what I want w/o it, I still buy it.

I have both and I will tell you that my full face is much quieter than my modular. I just purchased a Shoei 1200 and it is quiet and has great ventilation. You may also want to check out the Shoei GT Air.

I love the modular helmets! I've never had one that you can ride with the chin bar in the up position, but just having the ability to open it up when you stop is so nice when it's hot out or you just want to make a quick stop without taking off the helmet. The downside is that they tend to be a little heavier than a similar full face helmet. For long rides I have a Shoei full face that is light weight and comfortable for all day wear.

I don't ride with passengers. I have a Nolan with the blue tooth interface, but not really happy with it. That helmet's a little older now anyway, so I may be replacing it soon. I also have a Shoei convertible.

I liked the fit of the Schuberth, but never pulled the plug. They're pricey.
    2013 Honda F6B custom orange
    2009 Kawasaki Versys aka "Dr Doom"
    2009 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Stormtrooper"
    2003 Suzuki Burgman 400 "Yoda"

I've owned both types, and it's hard to argue against the convenience of the modulars. Last purchase I moved from 3 Shoei helmets in a row (two full face, one modular) to the Schubert C3 Pro, pretty much the summit of the modular world. You can really tell the difference in the build quality and tolerances--this thing is top notch, but their full face line is highly rated too.

If I were on a budget, NO WAY would I buy modular. I would go full face, that's a fact. I don't trust modulars built to a price point. I saw a Bell modular come open in a crash on one of my rides. That's not a risk I'd be willing to run.

I normally ride with a 3/4 but am considering getting a modular. What are some helmets I should look at?

Moderator / V-twin Gobbler GiddyupF6B's Avatar
    In over 20 years of riding it's always been a full face. I just 2 months ago picked up my first modular, a Shoei Neotech and I love it! It's much easier to put on and take off with the front flipped up. It's also very convenient at lights to cool off or to talk to people on a quick stop. It has incredible ventilation, an internal flip down sun shield, speaker pockets, a totally removable liner, pinlock anti-fog, sun glass channels, and is surprisingly quiet. I just changed the Bluetooth communication system last night in it from a Scala G4 to a Sena 20S. Overall so far I am very happy with the switch to a modular.....