Cruise control - Page 2
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Cruise control

Great work now everyone can stop bugging me to make the kit just need to tell them which pulse divider
    Pete
    BikeMP3

http://WWW.BIKEMP3.COM

"What is now proved was once only imagined."
    William Blake

We still love you Pete!
    Please don't spook the road-sheep.

The pulse divider is available from Rostra. Part #250-4379.

After some further testing, I find that I get a check engine light, indicating a VS error in the ecm. This seems to occur randomly. Everything, including the speedo, continues to function normally. Obviously, I have more work to do.

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro66 View Post
    Great work now everyone can stop bugging me to make the kit just need to tell them which pulse divider
    Nope, you ain't getting off that easy!!!!!

The rain finally stopped. More testing of the cruise control today. I have solved the "VS" check engine error by inserting a 4.7K ohm resister in series with the VS input to the pulse divider. I put nearly 100 miles on the bike with varying terrain & varying "set" speeds up to 75 mph. The cruise works perfectly & holds the speed to + or - 1 mph.

Barry

You are the man!

Now come do mine?

Quote Originally Posted by BARRYS770 View Post
    The rain finally stopped. More testing of the cruise control today. I have solved the "VS" check engine error by inserting a 4.7K ohm resister in series with the VS input to the pulse divider. I put nearly 100 miles on the bike with varying terrain & varying "set" speeds up to 75 mph. The cruise works perfectly & holds the speed to + or - 1 mph.

Barry
    Baerry, that is all good news...and now my one question...at this time. Does the cruise system you have built have a maximum Set speed, or is it unlimited in the Set speed ?

The cruise has a minimum "set" speed built into the control unit's software. The min. "set" speed is determined from the pulse count per mile that you set in the unit. For example, if the actual pulse count is 20,000 pulses per mile & you set the Rostra unit @ 24,000 pulses per mile, the unit will see it's minimum "set speed" sooner (lower speed) than if the correct pulses per mile were set. Conversely, if you program the unit to a pulses per mile lower than actual pulse count, the minimum "set" speed will be higher.

I do not believe that the cruise unit has a max. speed programed into it. I have only tested mine to 75mph & it worked fine at that speed. When I get a clear day I'll try it at a higher speed. GA has a "super speeder" fine that is on top of any local speeding fine. 20 mph over the posted limit or 85 mph gets you this extra fine of $250.00.

The Rostra unit has a maximum mechanical pull of 1-5/8". So, depending on your throttle arm length, and the amount of slack in the cable at idle, the unit may not have enough mechanical travel to pull the throttle open far enough to maintain very high speeds, especially with steeper hills and heaver loads (ie: pulling a trailer). My throttle arm has a center to center length of slightly over 1-1/2", which gives me a total pull length of about 2-1/8". Therefore, in my case, it's impossible for the cruise control to fully open the throttle. However, my guess is that it'll maintain speeds up to 85 or 90 mph, which is faster than I normally ride.

Barry

You guys are either very smart or I am really dumb. You lost me at pulse modulators. Good job on getting it worked out! Now we need it as a kit.