Cruise control - Page 6
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Cruise control

Cruise

Breakaway works great... Until Pete finishes his cruise control

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hornet View Post
    Breakaway works great... Until Pete finishes his cruise control
    IS Pete still planning to release one? I was going to buy parts next week to start.

Well as predicted by many the 2014's have nothing but a one color change so I broke down and ordered the parts to install cruise today.

For anyone interested I ordered the Rostra kit # 250-1223, and the pulse divider # 250-4379 from The Cruise Control Store. Getting these here saved me about $38.00 over Summit Racing. In total I will have a little over $320 in the major components. Everything is supposed to be in stock at both locations so as soon as they arrive the tear down and install will begin.....

Thanks to BARRYS770 for the list, and I am also going with the clutch Switch # 35335-MG9-951 as bstroh59 suggested.

Text with -------- Sunday, he said he would be getting a F6b in on Last Monday and would start making a cruise for it. Hopes to have it ready by Christmas.

jkelley: I posted Summit Racing as a "one-stop" shopping place for the parts that I used on my installation. You are correct to shop round for best price on the parts, as I did. Will you be using the Rostra control switch or a GoldWing throttle assembly? My intentions are to change my Rostra control over to a GW throttle assy. and to install the clutch switch. Good luck with your install.

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by BARRYS770 View Post
    jkelley: I posted Summit Racing as a "one-stop" shopping place for the parts that I used on my installation. You are correct to shop round for best price on the parts, as I did. Will you be using the Rostra control switch or a GoldWing throttle assembly? My intentions are to change my Rostra control over to a GW throttle assy. and to install the clutch switch. Good luck with your install.

Barry
    Understood, the fact was that Summit did not have all of the components in stock or I probably would have used them. When searching I did find some better pricing and did not take the time for Summit to price match as I have done in the past. I use them for most of my vehicle builds so I am really happy with them shipping and matching prices. Like you I went with the Rostra control switch. Things may change in the future but I think it should work out fine. Now the big decision... Go ahead and tear it all down and paint it or get the cruise working and ride it? I would really like decent paint but I am not crazy about all the prep work and painting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmoon64 View Post
    Regarding the brackets that need to be fabricated. Is there a template or diagram of some kind that can be used for the fabrication? I realize your guys have made this so if there is a price involved that would be understandable. If there is someone that can make one for a price that would be great as well!

Thanks.

Darryl
    The brackets are really not that difficult but depend on where, and how you want the control unit mounted. Depending on your chosen location the bracket that comes with the unit can be bent, cut, welded as needed.
    The bracket for the actual cable to the throttle body is as Barry did the dimensions are top hole = 5/16", Bottom hole (that fits over the lever arm) I went with 1/4" hole straight down .750"center to center from the top hole. For the cable mounting hole again I went with .250". This one is clocked about 4:30 and down 1.5" from the top mounting hole. (See Barry's picture.) I actually used a holly throttle arm from Summit as it already had the offset in it and mounted the carb stud Barry listed. I chopped off the threads and tig welded it to the bracket so nothing was sticking out the back side.
    I also used .060 stock with an offset ( holly arm ) a star washer, and the stock nut. Now my weak point tying up the electrical connections.

For the Rostra cruise control switches I did not use a bracket, I Simply disassembled the switch housing and mounted it in the stock Goldwing location with some 4-40 screws, and ran the wires out of the right switch housing and down the handle bars inside the wire retainer that is already there. Snapped the cover back on and I think it looks great. I still need to seal the unit after testing though. Be sure you mount so that you don't interfere with the start switch......

I have all of the parts needed to install Rostra cruise on my 6. The snow will be flying here soon and I'll have a few months of relatively snowy roads to take on the project.

I ordered most of my parts from Summit... The shipped to me from two different locations and charged me ten dollars to ship one item that retailed for 1.49... I am a bit disgusted

This is my cruise control by Breakaway and I love mine

Job done! Add me to the list of "have REAL cruise control".

Thanks to Barry!!!!!!! He was VERY helpful and for all the work and time he took to list the components and take the pictures. I doubt I could have done it without all of that information. And to bstroh59 for the clutch switch idea.

It was a major job, but I also took advantage of the down time to complete the disassembly of the bike and repaint it. And for someone like me that has never worked on a Goldwing I was amazed at the complexity and amount of all of the plastic parts. Not too sure I would want to do it again any time soon, but real happy with the outcome and getting the job done.