Cruise control - Page 7
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Cruise control

Quote Originally Posted by jkelley View Post

It was a major job, but I also took advantage of the down time to complete the disassembly of the bike and repaint it.

Do I really have to be that guy...that has to post...

If you repainted the bike, let's see the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    Do I really have to be that guy...that has to post...

If you repainted the bike, let's see the pics.
    Sorry Miles, nothing yet. I plan to post pics but just completed the job last night, and we have nothing but rain forecast for most of the week.

The Black Pearl really shows well in the sunlight and I will get some the first chance I get.

Attachment 3348

Rode about 100 Miles Yesterday, Cruise works perfectly!

Attachment 3348

Rode about 100 Miles Yesterday, Cruise works perfectly!
    I have the Go Cruise (aluminum model) as well and, as far as mechanical throttle locks are concerned, this one works well. I do have a pretty serious concern about this type of cruise control however which is this...due to the spring return of the throttle, we are not accustomed to having to forcibly close the throttle. In a panic situation, will you have the presence of mind to do that? No doubt, you will hit the brakes but unless you force the throttle closed, the engine will continue to propel you forward thus making your braking less effective. I experienced this returning from Daytona when a car suddenly cut me off on I-95 and I had only an instant to respond. I escaped but realized the deficiency of a throttle lock like the Go Cruise. Just sayin'...

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    I have the Go Cruise (aluminum model) as well and, as far as mechanical throttle locks are concerned, this one works well. I do have a pretty serious concern about this type of cruise control however which is this...due to the spring return of the throttle, we are not accustomed to having to forcibly close the throttle. In a panic situation, will you have the presence of mind to do that? No doubt, you will hit the brakes but unless you force the throttle closed, the engine will continue to propel you forward thus making your braking less effective. I experienced this returning from Daytona when a car suddenly cut me off on I-95 and I had only an instant to respond. I escaped but realized the deficiency of a throttle lock like the Go Cruise. Just sayin'...
    I understand your thought, but when I am making a quick stop I also pull in the clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    I had simply not removed the "friction throttle lock" go cruise or what ever. I did not like any of them. I had the break away as well and all of them in my opinion while useful on a flat road to get your hand free for a limited time were useless here in the mountains and as you said "could" cause issues in some circumstances. If you look at the switches on the control housing I have actually as a few others installed REAL cruise control!
    this is the only true solution thus far to my issue of wanting cruise control on this otherwise great bike.

Quote Originally Posted by kwkride View Post
    I understand your thought, but when I am making a quick stop I also pull in the clutch.
    That's a good point and I think I would normally do that as well. In the particular incident I experienced, I honestly don't remember what I did with the clutch. Clearly, I didn't pull it in fast enough because I remember the engine pulling for a split second more than I wanted and it almost got me in trouble.

I had simply not removed the "friction throttle lock" go cruise or what ever. I did not like any of them. I had the break away as well and all of them in my opinion while useful on a flat road to get your hand free for a limited time were useless here in the mountains and as you said "could" cause issues in some circumstances. If you look at the switches on the control housing I have actually as a few others installed REAL cruise control!
    this is the only true solution thus far to my issue of wanting cruise control on this otherwise great bike.
    OOPS! I assumed too much from your pic. If I had looked back over the thread, I would see that you went with Rostra. Got to pay more attention

Banned

BARRYS770;
    Gain: low
    Pulses/Mile: 19,300
    Engine/set up: 4 cylinder low
    VSS Source: Square wave
    Tranmission: Manual
    Control Sw: Open
    Great job, and good info. I installed this same unit on my Rune, and am really pleased with it.
    Curious why you set the "engine/set up" at 4 cylinder instead of 6.
    What is the minimum speed you can set with the pulses/mile setting at 19,300 ?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Flat6 View Post
    BARRYS770;

Great job, and good info. I installed this same unit on my Rune, and am really pleased with it.
    Curious why you set the "engine/set up" at 4 cylinder instead of 6.
    What is the minimum speed you can set with the pulses/mile setting at 19,300 ?
    Thanks.
    When I started this project, there wasn't any information available for installing a cruise control on the F6B. I had installed an Audiovox unit on an ST1300 and the Rostra unit on a couple of Street Rods, so I had somewhat of an idea as to what was ahead of me. Even though I was familiar with the cruise control units and confident that it could be made to work, I knew from the beginning that this was going to be an experiment that might not work out.

I arrived at the settings primarily by experimenting with different settings. The 6 cylinder setting made the bike surge once the cruise was engauged. So, I set it 4 cylinder, low which eliminated the surging while the cruise was set. My after further testing, I settled on the following settings;

Gain: Very Low
    Pulses/mile: 19,300
    Engine/ Set up: 4 cylinder Low
    VSS: Square Wave
    Transmission: Manual
    Control Switch: Open