Ex Or Current Harley owners?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ex Or Current Harley owners?

Ex Or Current Harley owners?

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaRider View Post
    A different kind of wobble happened to me with my 2012 Road Glide Ultra after its first service. When going straight the front end would start to wobble. I took it to a different shop and told them about it. Service manager tried to tell me it was my riding technique. I insisted he have the triple tree bearings adjusted. The bike no longer wobbles. I love that bike, but I no longer let any Harley store work on it.

I have owned, let's say, a bunch, of Harley's (well over 50). I never had a wobble on any FLH series until they went to the smaller front tire. After that, every one of them would wobble when decelerating from about 50 on down. If you took your hands off the bars, it could become a tank slapper. That said, my F6 does the same thing, as has every GW I've owned. The F6 engine frame combo is by far more stable at higher speeds, and in turns, than the HD. I had a BMWK1200LT that was just awful, and flat out dangerous on wet roads.

I have had a wobble on a HD..caused by loose steering bearing and worn tire...ANY bike can get a wobble!!! It can start crossing a thick painted line or some add on on the front of the bike to mess up the wind, worn tires or what ever.....this is not a HD problem. A good friend of mine had a Honda 75o go into a wobble, then a tank slapper then there him in the bushes...I was riding next to him! If and when your bike starts a wobble you have to chances of stopping it before you are in the bushes........1. climb on the brakes and get that thing slowed down NOW! the other opting to give it all the gas it had and try to speed out of the wobble...both take balls....to do nothing as my friend and it becomes a " death wobble"......

I have been in several due to add ons on motorcycles and those are you two choices....JMO
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

The two full Wings I had before the F6B had the dreaded Wing Wobble slowing down around 45 mph. The only two bikes I had that were as extreme as the video presented were my 89 BMW and my 93 Harley FXR. I had made major changes to the front forks on both bikes and they would literally tank slap during certain riding conditions. None of my FLH framed Harleys had any wobble but they never felt as secure cornering as the Wing platform motorcycles I have owned.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I never had an issue with my Dyna Street Bob but my 07 Street Glide was another story. The best way to describe it is it rode like a wet noodle. I hated the handling of that bike. The brakes were shit too. After I switched to Michelin Commander II's it handled much better bit I still never liked that bike. I happily traded it in on the F6B.

I have had no issues with the F6. I can set the throttle lock and ride no handed for miles. I wish Michelin would make Commander II's for it though. Currently they don't.

I wonder if it's more of a tire issue than a Harley issue. Every time I replace tires with something other than Dunlops I see better results. I have Elite III's on the F6 now. At first I liked the responsiveness of them but they seem to cause vibrations at higher speeds. I didn't have that with the Stones. I'll go back to Stones if Michelin doesn't step up and make the tire I want for the wing.

I saw the video a few days ago, there are definitely some issues, the section that compares the police HD with the BMW clearly shows that. Now whether the cause is chassis related or as HD claims the addition of aftermarket parts who knows, but it does say something that HD have settled claims out of court.

My '06 Soft tail was doing this right around 40-45 m.p.h. I figured it may need to have the head bearings tightened. I traded it for this F6B before I bothered with it.

only on a new sportster have i, and I trade it after the incident
    DOD Retired Cold War, Operation Promote Liberty, Operation Enduring Freedom, Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran. PPR (PAINt proBLEM registry) Member! Current rides: 1984 Harley Davidson FXST Softail 1340, 2013 Honda GoldWing F6B 1832, 2014 BMW R nine T 1170

Quote Originally Posted by FlatSixBagger View Post
    only on a new sportster have i, and I trade it after the incident
    no wobble on my 09 electra glide but death wobble on my buddys 2006 street glide....