Storing a MC tire

Thread: Storing a MC tire

Storing a MC tire

Need some advice. What is a good Way to store a tire mounted on a rim? I got 15,000 miles out of my stock rear tire (could have pushed it and got 16,000). I replaced the tire with another OEM tire 2 weeks ago. Last week I got the chance to pick up a black rim and tire off a new Goldwing Trike Conversion. It will probably be September next year when I am ready for another tire change. The questions I have are: Should I leave the air pressure in the tire? Should I keep it in the basement in the winter as the Garage in not heated? Should I put armor all or some other rubber preservative on the sidewall? I live in Michigan so it gets below zero some days. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.
    Marty

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleaver View Post
    Need some advice. What is a good Way to store a tire mounted on a rim? I got 15,000 miles out of my stock rear tire (could have pushed it and got 16,000). I replaced the tire with another OEM tire 2 weeks ago. Last week I got the chance to pick up a black rim and tire off a new Goldwing Trike Conversion. It will probably be September next year when I am ready for another tire change. The questions I have are: Should I leave the air pressure in the tire? I would Should I keep it in the basement in the winter as the Garage in not heated? I would Should I put armor all or some other rubber preservative on the sidewall? I would NOT I live in Michigan so it gets below zero some days. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.
    Marty
    Tires like to be kept at a 'reasonable'/ cool temp and out of the sun

Basement sounds like a good idea.

+1...cool...NO sun!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaver View Post
    Need some advice. What is a good Way to store a tire mounted on a rim? I got 15,000 miles out of my stock rear tire (could have pushed it and got 16,000). I replaced the tire with another OEM tire 2 weeks ago. Last week I got the chance to pick up a black rim and tire off a new Goldwing Trike Conversion. It will probably be September next year when I am ready for another tire change. The questions I have are: Should I leave the air pressure in the tire? Should I keep it in the basement in the winter as the Garage in not heated? Should I put armor all or some other rubber preservative on the sidewall? I live in Michigan so it gets below zero some days. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.
    Marty
    Do not use Armorall, it could leach oils in the tire. If you store it in the basement, do not leave it near the furnace because of the electric motor. If it were me, I would store it in the garage with air in it.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    do not leave it near the furnace because of the electric motor

Please explain,,,

It can't hurt to toss it into a black Hefty garbage bag with a twist tie to minimize air and light exposure.
    Re-tired, or Re-tard. Depends on your attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    do not leave it near the furnace because of the electric motor

Please explain,,,
    My guess is that he is referring to the ozone generated by electrical motors which can indeed damage the rubber compound over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Ritsema View Post
    My guess is that he is referring to the ozone generated by electrical motors which can indeed damage the rubber compound over time.
    Correct.