Cannot fit handrails on Mustang seat
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cannot fit handrails on Mustang seat

Cannot fit handrails on Mustang seat

After waiting over 7 weeks I finally got my Mustang seat delivered to the dealer today..Picked it up a 125 miles away from my house, and told them I would install it myself as they were pretty busy and the tech guy that has done work for me in the past was out sick...Anyhow after fighting for almost a 1/2 hour with the new seat, with assistance from my neighbor who works on ATV's, we could not make the side hand rails align, or fit, anywhere close..Read the instructions several times to no avail and finally gave up and put stock seat back on...Going to call Mustang tomorrow and ask them what the problem is...The holes in the new seat do not seem to line up with the holes in the seat rails and nothing seemed to work..I even bought the aftermarket pointed seat bolts that are supposed to make things easier...Right now I am really "bummed""....Any thoughts from those that have the regular style day tripper seat would be greatly appreciated....Thanks

Moderator / V-twin Gobbler GiddyupF6B's Avatar
    My Ultimate did the same at first. I really had to push the front of the seat forward with all my might to get the holes to line up. Good luck

Sorry to hear that. I'm not very "mechanically blessed" but the holes lined up on mine. Couldn't thread the fancy pointed bolts on the front but went back to the originals and they worked. Took me about an hour and I'm slow. My butt didn't get sore on the entire trip I made. Hope Mustang can give you some help.

Yep, you really need to work hard to get it on there with the rails. It took me 27 tries.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Have you tried to align the holes with a long Phillips screwdriver before tryin the bolts?

I had (2) RDL's to install one night.(OEM pan, so not a true 'apples to apples' comparo)

First bike went fine. 2nd bike,,, could only get 3 outta 4,,, Tried several times,,, Loose / snug etc,,, Even my trusty screwdriver trick wouldn't work.

Pulled all bolts and worked the 'problem child' first,,,

Why 1 bike was easy peasy and the 2nd such a PITA,,, well,,,

I used three Phillips screwdrivers to line everything up. If you don't have that many get two bolts in on one side without the rails and then work on the other side.

+1 on the next two posts up...I placed painters tape on the bike to show where the holes are...my Grandfather would have said you are not holding your mouth right!!!!!

Patience and you will get it...mark the holes ,use the screw drivers and if possible make the bolts pointy so they "hunt" the hole!!!!

good luck !!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...1tNgEi5iZc#t=0

see other thread for pics….
    After reading all the concerns about fit of the seat…I started with painters tape and marked where the bolts attached to the bike…laid the seat in place and began the installation…rights side no issues …used a long screw driver to get the seat in place…onto the left side….no issues…I did have a talk with the back bolt and it did begin to understand I wanted it to line up….. The fit is tight …the tolerances by the levers that open the seat are VERY TIGHT…. over all no big deal…30 mins start to finish…. Very nice seat!!! The seat is 1 “ lower but could not see any further back…the seat does not push you forward which was the major concern for me in buying this seat !!! Very Happy!!!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Mustang Seat Installation - Piece of Cake

My Mustang seat arrived Monday and I just installed it yesterday morning. After struggling with it with just my two hands, I found the trick, at least that worked for me. After engaging the front tab of the seat pan under the bracket, use the screwdriver method to get the seat and the frame threads close. I then took the handrail and started the front bolt, while not worrying about how the rest of everything lines up. I then took a small screwdriver, reached down between the seat and the handrail, and pushed the saddlebag release out a bit until it dropped into the handrail lever receiving hole. That pretty much also took care of the rear guide pin of the handrail. After that, the remaining rear seat bolt was a piece of cake. The other side went just as smoothly using that method. Worked for me!

Honda Goldwing seats have always been a bit of a PITA to install. On the F6B, just don't forget to install those two machine bolts that came with the seat to hold the fender. Miss that little item and you get to do it all over again.
    Ray

2013 F6B Deluxe with Hannigan Trike Kit (all repainted metallic silver)
    2007 EZGO Electric Golf Cart

Opas,
    I just got my Mustang seat yesterday and put it on. I have the exact same complaint as you do. Clearly, the rear of the seat is too darn wide, a mistake by Mustang.

After several tries and about two hours, I did succeed.

First off, if you push the seat too far forward, the bolt holes will not line up. I wasted a bunch of effort like that. Gotta back the seat off a bit.

So, I put masking tape with arrows on the bags to show precisely where the holes would be once the seat was back on.

I left off the rails and used a screw driver to see where the seat had to be positioned to have the bolt holes line up. The seat cannot be pushed all the way forward. Then I threaded all four bolts in just to prove it could be done.

Remove the bolts and start the rails. I pretty easily started the most forward screw on each rail. At this point, there is no way in he!! that the hand rails are going to just go on. Mustang's mistake.

If you can get the second, rear most screw started in straight (use the tape). I had to push down on the seat to help the second bolt go in. Then I turned each screw until they forced the hand rails in the right position. You will not be able to push the rails into place.

When you get close, you will have to raise the rails above the bag switches to get them on. Then finish tightening the bolts. You will hear the seat creak in pain at this point, to my satisfaction.

Worked for me. I dread the day I remove the seat again.

Oh btw, my seat levers will not return on their own any more due to rubbing against the ridiculously wide rear seat.

I re-installed the rails today hoping for better results. Nothing changed, still a bi!ch to put on and still hanging levers.

Thanks Mustang!

P.S. The seat does look good.
    Albuquerque, NM