Cannot fit handrails on Mustang seat - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cannot fit handrails on Mustang seat

http://wingstuff.com/products/35360-...-bolts-for-f6b Try a set of these when installing the seat I purchased a set to help the dude that painted my bike.

Riding a Goldwing is like opening a can of testosterone.
    Go Green - Recycle Congress!!!!

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
    Nothing fits like OEM. You'd think I would know that by now.
    Yup, and even OEM is a challenge at times. Our RDL's are built on our own OEM pans, so that does help a little.

Put a passenger b-rest on my 6 this weekend. Still remembered which bolt was the troublemaker,, started with it first...

I have a #3 Phillips with the tip ground down like an 'ice pick',,,, large enough shank to just 'seat' in the threads, but too large to pass through.

One thing I haven't heard anyone mention is what tool they use to install/tighten the seat bolts.

I use something similar to these:

http://www.eppys.com/images/productimages/SK19726.jpg

I also wave a 'ball-drive' set, but the 'straight cut' set, sans ratchet, lets me 'feel' around with the bolt under the seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Retired Army View Post
    http://wingstuff.com/products/35360-...-bolts-for-f6b Try a set of these when installing the seat I purchased a set to help the dude that painted my bike.
    They work great with the stock seat but are a "Royal" PITA to make work with the Mustang seat...Mustang recommends using the stock bolts which I ended up doing and all is well......They are a little to short unless they have updated since last spring when I bought mine....

I installed my Mustang seat tonight. It took me about an hour and was definitely not an easy bolt on seat install compared to say a Harley seat that usually has one or two bolts and is on and off within 5 minutes or less. That being said, I was able to do it by myself and did have to wrestle a bit with the seat and handrails to get everything lined up. I ended up using the stock bolts since the ones Wingstuff sells didn't want to catch as easy.

My only issue is that my right saddlebag still isn't opening properly, but that was a problem with the stock seat on too so doesn't have anything to do with the Mustang seat. I think there is something wrong with the latching mechanism. I just hope my dealer doesn't try to claim that the Mustang seat caused the issue and won't fix it under warranty. That will be a fight for another day.

Mustang

I installed my Mustand seat yesterday too and had same issue with the grab handles. Overall took about 45 mins of wiggling to get it on. I think they made the back to wide, but the seat does look great and feels awesome. Just a pain to install.

The right side passenger hand-rail does not fit flush with the side of the Mustang seat on my bike, but the saddlebag levers seem to be fine so far...Left side fits flush and works fine also...You might remove/loosen the rail a little and try to push the saddle bag lever release point back a little toward the seat and then re-tighten rail...The tech at my dealer also struggled with the right side but after "grunting and groaning and wiggling" the thing finally got it to work decent....Love the Mustang seat but dread the day it has to come of for service or???

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    The right side passenger hand-rail does not fit flush with the side of the Mustang seat on my bike, but the saddlebag levers seem to be fine so far...Left side fits flush and works fine also...You might remove/loosen the rail a little and try to push the saddle bag lever release point back a little toward the seat and then re-tighten rail...The tech at my dealer also struggled with the right side but after "grunting and groaning and wiggling" the thing finally got it to work decent....Love the Mustang seat but dread the day it has to come of for service or???
    Thanks for the tip in the saddlebag lever. I did to loosen and tighten the seat bolts and played with the lever, but it never opened properly with the stock seat either and still doesn't with the Mustang seat. I'm sure it's something with the latch/lever mechanism and not the seat. I can open the right saddlebag as is, but I have to lightly force it open instead of it opening on its own like the left side which works as it should.

I had a similar issue with the same saddlebag on mine even before the Mustang seat...Someone posted on the board to spray a little silicone on the bag gaskets and it worked for me...Might give it a try!!

Well, I contacted Mustang and received a reply from someone in support named Neal. Following are his directions:

----------------------------
    Hi, thanks for the email.

The F6B seat is a notoriously difficult install. What usually corrects your issue is to push the washer-spacer through the vinyl into the seat, so that washer is now behind the exterior vinyl but the spacer is still inside the seat. This should allow you to close up that gap.

If you still have issues, please reply with photos.

I have yet to do this but immediately asked why this would be required on one side and not the other.........I guess he has been busy. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by F6Pilot View Post
    Well, I contacted Mustang and received a reply from someone in support named Neal. Following are his directions:

Hi, thanks for the email.

The F6B seat is a notoriously difficult install. What usually corrects your issue is to push the washer-spacer through the vinyl into the seat, so that washer is now behind the exterior vinyl but the spacer is still inside the seat. This should allow you to close up that gap.

If you still have issues, please reply with photos.

I have yet to do this but immediately asked why this would be required on one side and not the other.........I guess he has been busy. YMMV
    Neal is the same guy I talked with and was basically told the same stuff..He seems like a really decent guy and was as helpful to me as he could..Good advise on the rail issue, but the thing is on now and I will leave that way for now as it works okay...Thanks