Cannot fit handrails on Mustang seat - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cannot fit handrails on Mustang seat

When I replaced the stock seat on my VTX 1800 with the Mustang seat, I had the same problem. It took me (and my brother-in-law) hours of pushing and pulling to get that seat on. When I put the Ultimate King on my F6B, it was much easier. I think it's going to be hit or miss with any aftermarket seat on any bike, sometimes and easy install, sometimes difficult. The good news is that once they're on, and you can leave them on for a few weeks, the seat pan seems to mold itself to the bike. Then, it's a lot easier to get on and off.

Nothing fits like OEM. You'd think I would know that by now.

Got tired of "haggling" with the Mustang seat rails, and took it up to my dealer in Northern MI this AM..Tech guy that builds mostly trike conversions is really good and offered to install the seat...A "little wiggling" followed by a little more "adjusting" and after about 45 minutes I was on my way!!!...Thanks to a great bunch of guys at Central Motorsports in Mt. Pleasant Michigan....BTW the after market seat bolts sold by many accessories shops, will NOT work with the Mustang seat...they are too short..Work great on the stock seat, but not so good on the aftermarket one. Rode the 125 miles home and so far the seat is great and I can actually flat foot at stops!!

I had to put my Ultimate seat on along with the BikeMP3 cargo carrier. Did both at the same time. Thanks God because I wouldn't want to mess with those handrails again.

After about an hour and a half, I finally managed to get the bolts lined up. In my case, I was trying to press the seat downward towards the frame where it sat a bit higher. Finally got in on.

One thing that I noticed is that there are no rearward tabs on the Ultimate seat pan to bolt the seat to the frame. The 4 handrail bolts do all of the work.

I do love the look of both the Mustang and the Ultimate seats. Time to test it out.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Got tired of "haggling" with the Mustang seat rails, and took it up to my dealer in Northern MI this AM..Tech guy that builds mostly trike conversions is really good and offered to install the seat...A "little wiggling" followed by a little more "adjusting" and after about 45 minutes I was on my way!!!...Thanks to a great bunch of guys at Central Motorsports in Mt. Pleasant Michigan....BTW the after market seat bolts sold by many accessories shops, will NOT work with the Mustang seat...they are too short..Work great on the stock seat, but not so good on the aftermarket one. Rode the 125 miles home and so far the seat is great and I can actually flat foot at stops!!
    Are you speaking of the semi chrome ones from Wing Stuff??? I used those and they worked.
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by 98valk View Post
    F6Pilot: Mine looks exactly the same, and just on the brake side. I figure that comes with an aftermarket seat.

Now to work on making the side covers removable ....
    Well, at least now I know it's not my install methods. However, I will not accept this as what comes with aftermarket. I had Mustang on my VTX and it was a great seat and fit flawlessly. I have already reached out to Mustng once with no reply. I think I'm going to ping them again and see what the issue may be. I've seen others that fit up well on both sides so I expect the same.

Steve, part of the problems with installation of the Mustang seat is some go on fairly easily and other are a hassle..Why I do not know and the guys at Mustang don't seem to either. A few have had success with the aftermarket bolts from WingStuff, some like me did not. The Mustang people recommend to use the stock bolts to install their seat...I was told the chrome like bolts were introduced to help prevent rust problems on ageing GW's that had been ridden in wet weather and after time the seat bolts become difficult to re-install...I have no personal knowledge about either,except the tech that installed my seat today showed me that they are a little shorter than the stock bolts and after trying several times to make them work we gave up and used the stock bolts and it went on fine....At this point I am a "happy camper" and will keep the aftermarket bolts to re-use if I ever go back to the stock seat....Ride safe

Bolts from Wingstuff

Initially, the seat bolt kits from Wingstuff fit the regular GW but not the F6B. On our bikes, 2 of the 4 bolts are longer. Sometime later, Wingstuff started offering the bolt kit that fit our bikes where you have 2 shorter and 2 longer bolts. Perhaps this explains why some have had trouble with the bolt kits.
    Ken (Hornblower)

glad to hear you got it on.

RRF6B
    Mustang seat - After doing all of the tricks stated in the discussions with no luck, I got the front bolts in and found the back of the seat to be about a bolt width above the hole. I had to have the wife sit on the seat and that lined up the holes. Getting the bolts started straight in the holes was also a challenge. I took the seat off a few days later and it was fine; not bound up like the initial install.