blown off the road?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: blown off the road?

blown off the road?

Has anybody been literally blown off the road by a strong crosswind?

It's been more than 10 years since I've ridden regularly but I don't ever recall having to "battle the wind". Granted that Oregon had much milder weather than Florida where I'm at now, but the amount of steering correction and lean that I needed today surprised me. There wasn't even a storm... it was just a blistery day with enough wind to move my bike around.

It made me wonder how much of a safety risk there is in riding when it's windy. Can the experienced riders chime in?

Adding the belly pan helped greatly with cross wind control.................Dickie

I think I saw someone else say that but I don't understand how that works... I guess it smooths the airflow under the bike??

Does it matter which belly pan? Some of them are "vented" I think.

Many years ago I was headed to Tampa on I 75 out of Wildwood, my wife was with me...the wind was soooooo strong that I/we were sitting on the side of the bike to fight the wind and when we came by a section of the road lined with trees the bike stood up and we had to get back on top...did that for about 20 miles...strangest thing as far as the wind goes for me....

FL is a different place...it is not uncommon to have 100 mph winds in a rain storm, not unusual to rain on one side of the street and not the other, not uncommon to have the temperature change 40 degrees in one day...welcome to FL
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Idk why I'm so surprised at how much crosswinds affect riding... but I am. These bikes are HEAVY and I was expecting that nothing but the rear tire could move it around.

I weigh 190lbs and at highway speeds even a moderate crosswind (~40 mph gusts) easily pushed the bike from one side of the lane to the other; it really felt like the tires were sliding but I know they weren't.

I've had some wind push me around on this bike but only once did it get scary bad. I thought I was going to be blown off the bike. The bike handled it as long as I held on, and I WAS holding on!
    I also noticed that the winds seemed to have more influence on the bike when I put a larger windshield on it. I am also running a bellypan.

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    Idk why I'm so surprised at how much crosswinds affect riding... but I am. These bikes are HEAVY and I was expecting that nothing but the rear tire could move it around.

I weigh 190lbs and at highway speeds even a moderate crosswind (~40 mph gusts) easily pushed the bike from one side of the lane to the other; it really felt like the tires were sliding but I know they weren't.
    True, they are heavy butt have a but load of surface area to grab every bit of that cross wind!

Hell, in North texas where a cross BREEZE is 45 mph you do just that, you ride at a 45 degree angle most of the time leaning into the wind. And just like Steve 0080 stated, when ya hit a tree line or bridge ya better be ready cuz your standing up and if your not careful you'll go over to the other shoulder just as the bridge ends thus throwing ya back over and into that 45 degree position. Throw in a bunch of trucks on I-40 between McLean and Amarillo and it's a freakin' rodeo!!!
    "Great Britain's a great country, but it's not an idea ... that's how we see [America] around the world, one of the greatest ideas in human history." Bono

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Depends on location,,,

Worst I ever encountered was in the hills of PA,,, in a mini-van,,,

Wife used to pizz and moan all the time about 'almost got blown off the road!!!' with her Vulcan 900.

She says the 6 is better,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    Depends on location,,,

Worst I ever encountered was in the hills of PA,,, in a mini-van,,,

Wife used to pizz and moan all the time about 'almost got blown off the road!!!' with her Vulcan 900.

She says the 6 is better,,,
    The hills of Northeastern Pa. can be a challenge. Most roads, being built on hill tops and mountain sides, require your undivided attention when windy conditions prevail. The occasional wind gust will make you "pucker" requiring riding at a 45 degree angle

As has already been mentioned, there is plenty of tupperware to catch the wind and turn the F6B into a "sail"

shooter
    Worst I've been in was Illinois summer2012. Met my son halfway from Cincy at Vincennes IN. 4th of July week. Temp right at 100 on the way back home and crosswinds in excess of 40 mph gusts. I was on my 109 and he was riding a Ninja ,650. I was watching him in the mirror and when the gust would hit him it would move him from the center line to the shoulder. I had ridiculous lean angle going on. Took almost three hours to cross the state. We were wore out. 420 miles that day fighting the wind and temps.