What bikes did you consider buying before settling on the F6B?
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: What bikes did you consider buying before settling on the F6B?

What bikes did you consider buying before settling on the F6B?

I'd like to hear about the bikes that folks were considering before settling on the F6B. And what caused you to eliminate them from your list.

At first, I was thinking about getting an adventure style bike mostly for the upright riding position. I test rode these:

BMW R1200GS (the new liquid cooled version) - This would be my favorite bike ever if not for two things - annoying foot peg vibration and the reputation this bike has for problems. They are using a heavier flywheel for 2015, so I suppose there's a chance that will help with the vibration.

Yamaha Super Tenere - Great handling, but boring engine, and too much vibration.

Triumph Tiger Explorer - Powerful engine with nice sound, but bothersome vibration in the handlebars. Also, there were a lot of problems the first couple years this bike was made. Supposedly, Triumph has redesigned the problematic components. But, I'm still a bit concerned.

As you may have noticed, I'm a bit sensitive to vibration. I've been riding for over 25 years and somehow ever since I got my 2011 Yamaha FJR, vibration on that bike and many others bugs the heck out of me. After some internet researching I discovered that the Honda flat-6 has virtually nobody complaining of annoying vibration. So, I reluctantly decided the F6B was worth checking out. I thought for sure weight and power would be deal breakers.

Victory Cross Country - Before I had a chance to test ride the F6B, Victory had a demo ride event at a dealer within walking distance from my house. I took a ride on the Cross Country. I loved how comfortable that bike was. The weight didn't bother me as much as I expected. The power wasn't that great, but there was no unpleasant vibration at cruising speed. The clutch pull was heavy compared to all the other bikes I took for test rides. The biggest disappointment was the way the front wheel felt completely disconnected from the handlebars. I suppose there is a chance the problem was caused by an under-inflated front tire. Because I found that bike so comfortable, there's a slight chance I'll try it again. If I do, I'll check the tire pressure before the test ride.

Honda CTX 1300 - The dealer didn't have a F6B available, so I decided to try the CTX 1300. Boring, boring, boring. I nearly fell asleep and crashed. Lack of power was a deal killer. I hit the rev limiter several times in a vain attempt to make the bike interesting. The front end also seemed numb like the Cross Country.

Honda Goldwing - As I was returning to the dealer, someone else come back from a Goldwing test ride. It was a crusty used 1800 with 80,000 miles. I figure if I like this thing, I'm going to love the F6B. Other than feeling slightly cramped, I was blown away by how much I liked it. I had to find an F6B to ride.

Honda F6B - A day or two after the Goldwing ride, I found a dealer with a demo F6B. The different seat made it feel more spacious than the full Goldwing. All that up high weight chopped off payed off in power and handling. In fact, handling and power seem almost as good as my FJR, but it is much smoother and more comfortable.

I'm not going to buy until next year, but I'm not sure if there is any point in trying out any other bikes. Although, I might try out a Valkyrie if the aftermarket comes out with the right accessories.

Let's hear your stories about bikes that lost out to the F6B!

I wanted a fixed fairing.

Road Glide
    Victory Vision
    Goldwing

I've ridden all three but never imagined owning a Wing until the F6B. Full fairing with leg protection, water cooled engine and then the looks of no trunk sealed the deal for me. I bought it without even test riding it. I traded a Street Glide in on it and I have no regrets. Nothing compares to the smoothness and power on demand of the F6B. I even enjoy the stealthiness of the stock exhaust. The only downfall is the missing cruise control but it doesn't bother me.

I have and will still have my Valkyrie. However, I had been on the prowl for a new bike. Who isn't? Whether seriously looking or not.
    On my short list for serious contention were
    F6B
    New 2014 Valkyrie
    Victory Cross Country
    BMW 1600
    Rocket III

The Cross Countrys are comfortable, but I've read of some issues, and as a long time Valk rider, I just could never get past the idea of riding a V-twin.

I test rode a new Valk and I loved it. However, my 2000 Valkyrie is decked out with a Woody's audio batwing and many other features. I knew I'd miss having the audio.Plus, even though Corbin is reportedly designing some hard bags for the new Valk, there is no timeline and they are sure to not be cheap.

The BMW, it's a nice bike with lots of power, but the styling has never quite been my cup of tea. Plus they're not cheap.

The Rocket III, big and lots of power. They've had issues, that may have been worked out, but it is a beast of a machine. The exhaust note isn't that good.

I love the flat six motor. In the end, it was the logical choice for me. Very happy. The F6B feels like a sport bike compared to my Valkyrie.

Victory XCT, K1600GTL & F6B

Before I pulled the trigger on the F6B, I wanted to look around and make sure I wasn't just reacting to this new wing look. As a "Sanity Check" I looked at the k1600GTL BMW and the Cross Country Tour Victory.

The BMW had crazy horsepower, something like 160HP. I had seen a picture of one standing on it's rear wheel and thought "now that is sexy"! The technology on the BMW looked first rate. The BMWs I had driven were wonderful. great brakes, superb handling and fast. The seat height was not a problem for me.
    What stopped me was the lack of a dealer network in my area and lets face it, I want to travel. If there was a problem I want a dealer close by, not "just one" in my state. The warranty was OK but the price of repairs was very high according to friends who owned them.

The Victory had more dealers in our state so I looked at them. The Vision was too "sweepy" and sort of futuristic. If I don't like the looks, it won't last long no matter how it performs. Now, the Cross Country Tour was more to my taste. A friend had a black one and it was sweet! Unfortunately, he had an engine problem and the customer service at that dealership was lacking. There was a 2 month down time until they could repair it. He traded it for a HD. Still, they were in the running. I could always go to another dealer. The final straw was that my "Sweetie" thought the feel of the throne was only "OK". She was not a fan of "climbing through" to sit down.

So in the end, the factors that led me to the Honda F6B were:
    Vast dealer network throughout the USA,
    Proven drive train, great smooth power and great warranty,
    The looks of my Black F6B, grabbed me by the shoulders, slapped me around and shook me. The only thing I could say was WOW!
    And last but certainly not least, was that my "Sweetie" liked the feel of the F6B better. It was easier to get on instead of stepping through, and the seat was comfy. She does't sit back much, so the throne was not important. She likes to snuggle up most of the time.

So far, there hasn't been anything I've seen or heard that leads me to believe my decision would be any different if I was making this decision again today, (16 months and 11000 miles later).

At 54 years old and making my final decision (on a street bike), after careful deliberation, the F6B won hands down.

But..... others considered for speed and longevity (no want V-twins) water cooled and powerfull,

2014 Valkyrie with Corbin bags (when made)
    2013 Hayabusa with Corbin bags
    2013 Triumph Rocket Roadster with soft bags
    2013 Yamaha V-MAX
    ED209 says RED is faster, you have 20 seconds to comply !

After riding a VT1300 for 3 years I wanted more of a touring bike since I just retired. Victory had their Demo days in June so off I went to ride a Cross Country and a Vision. Can't put my finger on it but was not really impressed. Both were comfortable though. Following week Honda had test rides. Rode the Valk and was impressed but no windshield or bags. CTX 1300 was fun but hated the mirrors. Goldwing was very nice but found it slightly cramped. Took out the F6B and that was it. Very happy with my choice.

The first bikes i wanted to have were the

HONDA Crosstourer VFR1200X with DCT

KTM Adventure 1190 with 150 HP!

and at last:

The new BMW GS 1200

Then i asked myself, what kind of driver am i?

Do ever hit the roads in Africa? No!
    Are we allowed to drive through the forests in Germany? No!
    Do i want to use a ladder to sit on the bike? No!

Why the hell should i drive that kind of bike, when i am 99.8% on paved streets? I need something comfortable like a cruiser with a very smooth engine and also be able to easily take the Queen/Wife with me and be sure that she is satisfied (you all know that thing: it can be a brillant day and everything is wonderful, but if the Queen is unhappy on her back seat, life can be pretty !"§$%!!!).

There she is: My 2nd love (after my wife and doggie). "The Fat Berta"
    Always a good and safe ride,
    Karim

I have tested, in no particular order:

HD Ultra Classic Ltd: I can't stand any transmission that clunks when shifted into first gear, way too much engine heat

Yamaha Warrior: crazy power, too raked out for me, horrible low speed manoeuvring with that 21 inch front wheel

Honda Gold Wing: driver seat too cramped, otherwise what a luxo tourer

F6B: perfect

Valk: seat felt like concrete, poor accommodation for passenger

Victory Cross Country: not as refined as any Honda, but better than HD

I traded my 2011 Kawasaki Vaquero in for the F6b, I really wanted to test a Ducati Diavel but couldn't find a dealer that was interested in my trade in and no demos in my area.
    Came off a Yamaha Stratoliner with 45 k on the clock before the Vaquero.

Well said Kurare79!