Windshield Extension.

Thread: Windshield Extension.

Windshield Extension.

Although i don't get buffeting from the original short screen, i do get a lot of wind noise and with the cooler weather coming i decided to make up my own windshield extension. I had an old Memphis Shades Batwing screen that i have now re bent and flared the top. It is mounted with two bolts and a small strip of Velcro at the bottom. It is very secure, doesn't vibrate and is removable back to stock in about 1 minute and only has two rubber grommets to plug the holes in the short screen, to show that anything is different from factory. Best of all it reduces wind noise by about 90% and gives better weather protection. Also only cost me about $10.00 to make it fit. It will certainly do until i decide if i will fork out the dollars for an aftermarket screen.Attachment 5736Attachment 5737Attachment 5736Attachment 5738

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Interesting! I have a stack of old MS B-wing shields in various sizes/styles,,, And a couple OEM F6B shields,,, VERY happy with my Madstad, but "experimenting with my unused inventory" might help keep me off the streets for a while! Due to my tall seat/looong torso, I doubt I have anything that would be tall enough,

Quote Originally Posted by rumble-b View Post
    Although i don't get buffeting from the original short screen, i do get a lot of wind noise and with the cooler weather coming i decided to make up my own windshield extension. I had an old Memphis Shades Batwing screen that i have now re bent and flared the top. It is mounted with two bolts and a small strip of Velcro at the bottom. It is very secure, doesn't vibrate and is removable back to stock in about 1 minute and only has two rubber grommets to plug the holes in the short screen, to show that anything is different from factory. Best of all it reduces wind noise by about 90% and gives better weather protection. Also only cost me about $10.00 to make it fit. It will certainly do until i decide if i will fork out the dollars for an aftermarket screen.Attachment 5736Attachment 5737Attachment 5736Attachment 5738

Looks good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by CheckpointChcky View Post
    Looks good to me.
    And me too! Grand idea.

That's just brilliant.

I took it for a good run today and i'm more than happy with it. I don't seem to get any buffeting at all and by using the very scientific method of holding my left hand out front of me i can feel the air flow about an inch over the top of my helmet. It is certainly A LOT quieter when riding and the stereo is only at half the volume that i previously used. As an added bonus i discovered that it also fits in the pannier too ( i didn't plan that).

Quote Originally Posted by rumble-b View Post
    Although i don't get buffeting from the original short screen, i do get a lot of wind noise and with the cooler weather coming i decided to make up my own windshield extension. I had an old Memphis Shades Batwing screen that i have now re bent and flared the top. It is mounted with two bolts and a small strip of Velcro at the bottom. It is very secure, doesn't vibrate and is removable back to stock in about 1 minute and only has two rubber grommets to plug the holes in the short screen, to show that anything is different from factory. Best of all it reduces wind noise by about 90% and gives better weather protection. Also only cost me about $10.00 to make it fit. It will certainly do until i decide if i will fork out the dollars for an aftermarket screen.Attachment 5736Attachment 5737Attachment 5738
    Hey, Rumble-B... very nice.
    I'm curious, though, how did you manage to rebend and flare the MS screen? What was your process?
    It looks great, by the way. As nice as any other screen mod I've seen.
    "1.21 gigawatts?! 1.21 GIGAWATTS??! Great Scott!!"

That looks freaking AWESOME!!! Did you use a heat gun? Props to you! Great job
    The less you bet, the more you lose when you win

Thanks for the positive comments.Yes , i used a heat gun and a wooden broom handle to shape it.