Plan on picking F6B in F150 6.5 bed of pickup, thoughts?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plan on picking F6B in F150 6.5 bed of pickup, thoughts?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Plan on picking F6B in F150 6.5 bed of pickup, thoughts?

I have a 2013 F150 with a 6.5 foot bed, I am planning on picking it up using my truck and putting it in the bed. I will have a full sheet of 3/4 plywood to balance weight with the tailgate. I have a wheel chock in the front. At the Honda dealer, they have ramps. Anyone think there will be any issues with my tailgate? weight wise while pushing or driving it up? thoughts? thanks Bob

shooter
    With the plywood you should be OK. The B is about 9 ft long. Cables on the F150 tailgate will hold the B no prob. My concern would be the height of the tailgate vs the length of the ramps. Why not ride it home?

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    With the plywood you should be OK. The B is about 9 ft long. Cables on the F150 tailgate will hold the B no prob. My concern would be the height of the tailgate vs the length of the ramps. Why not ride it home?
    Picking up on the way home from Iowa on 12/26, 1-3 inches of snow calling...... AND 700 miles.....And will have my son.....and lots of Christmas presents.

I'd rent/borrow a trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by BobinMich View Post
    I have a 2013 F150 with a 6.5 foot bed, I am planning on picking it up using my truck and putting it in the bed. I will have a full sheet of 3/4 plywood to balance weight with the tailgate. I have a wheel chock in the front. At the Honda dealer, they have ramps. Anyone think there will be any issues with my tailgate? weight wise while pushing or driving it up? thoughts? thanks Bob

If it was me I would buy, borrow or rent a trailer for the drive down to the dealer or rent a U-Haul trailer at the dealer location and do a one way haul with the bike on the trailer. The problem with a large motorcycle on the back of a short bed pick-up is getting it on and off. Unless you have a very long ramp you run the risk of high centering the bike when it is in transition with one wheel on the ramp and the other on the truck. This is an 840 lb machine that once it starts moving will be hard to control if it starts moving in the wrong direction. Plus, you would need an extra wide ramp to allow you to be able to put both feet down as you ride the bike up and down the ramp. Your call but I wouldn't risk the chance for a disaster.
    Good luck and enjoy your new ride.

X

Quote Originally Posted by XHarley View Post
    If it was me I would buy, borrow or rent a trailer for the drive down to the dealer or rent a U-Haul trailer at the dealer location and do a one way haul with the bike on the trailer. The problem with a large motorcycle on the back of a short bed pick-up is getting it on and off. Unless you have a very long ramp you run the risk of high centering the bike when it is in transition with one wheel on the ramp and the other on the truck. This is an 840 lb machine that once it starts moving will be hard to control if it starts moving in the wrong direction. Plus, you would need an extra wide ramp to allow you to be able to put both feet down as you ride the bike up and down the ramp. Your call but I wouldn't risk the chance for a disaster.
    Good luck and enjoy your new ride.

X
    I'm with you on that. I wouldn't risk it on my bike.

I've had mine in my f150 6.5 bed, loading is no problem with my 9ft. ramp. Unloading has a little pucker factor, big bike back wards down a ramp.
    It is doable, no worry about the weight on the tailgate the rear wheel sets pretty much in the gap. It's up to you what you are comfortable with.
    good luck with your endever what ever that winds up being.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jay View Post
    I've had mine in my f150 6.5 bed, loading is no problem with my 9ft. ramp. Unloading has a little pucker factor, big bike back wards down a ramp.
    It is doable, no worry about the weight on the tailgate the rear wheel sets pretty much in the gap. It's up to you what you are comfortable with.
    good luck with your endever what ever that winds up being.
    Thanks, I have a loading dock for unloading....so that's not an issue. Bob

Thanks, I have a loading dock for unloading....so that's not an issue. Bob
    Loading and unloading from a loading dock makes ALL the difference!
    Ken (Hornblower)

I am going to strongly echo what has already been said. Not that it can't be done, but man the idea of getting this bike on and off a truck bed scares me. I have seen too many of such videos on You Tube where it went wrong. Like mentioned, there is no saving it if things don't quite go as you want. Please rent or borrow a trailer.