What bikes did you consider buying before settling on the F6B? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What bikes did you consider buying before settling on the F6B?

Honda 1300 Tourer
    Yamaha 1300 Deluxe
    BMW 1600
    BMW Gt 1200
    Indian Chieftan
    and then finally and reluctantly, the F6B. Had been ignoring it because of the lack of cruise and ABS. But once in the saddle, immediately knew! Love the bike!

I almost bought a Stratoliner instead. I love the look of that bike.

I considered the CTX1300 and the BMW K1600GTL. I found a used K1600GTL with about 16k miles that would have been just a little more than the new F6B, but I really didn't like the riding position as well. Once I test drove the F6B, it was just a matter of writing the check and signing the paperwork.

I'm thinking about taking a test ride on a Triumph Trophy. Did anyone here ride one before settling on the F6B?

I'm not really sure why I might bother with a test ride. Even in the unlikely event I like it better than the F6B, I don't think I'd want to take a chance on the Triumph's reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by CheesyRider View Post
    I'm thinking about taking a test ride on a Triumph Trophy. Did anyone here ride one before settling on the F6B?

I'm not really sure why I might bother with a test ride. Even in the unlikely event I like it better than the F6B, I don't think I'd want to take a chance on the Triumph's reliability.
    I owned one a couple bikes back. Mine was a 2004 I think so there might be significant changes that I'm unaware of. But I liked mine. Mostly it was a matter of wrong place at the wrong time sort of thing. Had I been younger and lighter, I'd have been quite happy. As it was I felt self-conscious -- it was just too "sporty." More tangible shortcomings were rider position which shades towards sport as compared to the F6B, so I felt it in my hands, wrists, and back. Also, it's a pretty top heavy bike and would bring you to tears in a cross wind. Bottom line is it was fun, but no way it could be a sole motorcycle for me at the time it came along.

Quote Originally Posted by er.medic View Post
    I almost bought a Stratoliner instead. I love the look of that bike.
    I have a Stratoliner, and yes it is a very nice bike. HOWEVER, in order to unlock it's full potential of 113ci, (which is 100 more cc than the F6B), you have to spend some time and $$$:

1. Open up the choked off Intake. Either cut open the air box, or install a 'Big Air' kit, basically 2 K&N filters.
    2. And now you need better fueling of course, so a PowerCommander V, and preferably with Auto-Tune module. ($$$!)
    3. Then you need a bigger exhaust, and get rid of the EX-UP, which can only lead to problems.
    4. Last but most important, stock suspension sucks and the bike drags parts everywhere. So you need a rear shock upgrade, and Fork Springs, both available from Progressive. Getting to the rear shock is no picnic either.

Add to that the puny tank which only holds about 4 gals, and cuts your range to about 150 miles. 1st Gen saddlebags are flimsy and leak. Oil change requires removing 3 separate drain bolts.

Yes, it's a lovely bike, and yes I did all of those things, not sure I would do it over again. I do enjoy stretching out on those great floorboards though.

So it really makes you appreciate the F6B, which you can ride out of the Dealer and basically needs NOTHING.
    Re-tired, or Re-tard. Depends on your attitude.

Mt.Rushmore Harley Ultra Classic, Test Rode the top of the Line Goldwing but hated the riding position. Guess I'll never own one if they don't correct the sitting on the tank riding position......Like Goldie Locks The F6B is just right- after $2000 in accessories to make it more Harley Like only better!..............lol..........Dickie

Quote Originally Posted by Injun Joe View Post
    I owned one a couple bikes back. Mine was a 2004 I think so there might be significant changes that I'm unaware of.
    The new one came out in 2013 and is a completely different design.
    http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/bi...2014/trophy-se

The things that appeal to me are the upright ergos (I think it's the only "sport touring" bike with no forward lean), the motorized windshield, and ABS. But, I can always add the Ergomot to the F6B and I've never once in 25 years of riding been in a situation where ABS would have saved me. I've never even had a situation on bikes with ABS where it kicked in unless I was intentionally making it happen. I think I've already talked myself out of it. Unless something really compelling comes along before I have the funds available, I don't think I'll bother test riding any other bikes.

The victory hardball and the triumph rocket 3.

BMW R1200RT and HD Road Glide
    '88 FLST
    '95 Ducati 916
    '04 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans
    '06 FLHX
    '09 Buell 1125R
    '13 F6B
    '17 BMW R Nine T Racer
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]