Wiggly in the wet?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wiggly in the wet?

Wiggly in the wet?

I've got about 6500 miles on my 2013. The tires appear about 50 percent. I've only ridden in serious rain once and noticed a strong tendency to "weave" when crossing any paint marking or road irregularity. I've noticed the same instability when running over tar strips (in the dry). I'm surprised considering how stable and planted the bike is in the dry. Anybody have the same observation?

I have noticed similar reactions to the tar strips ,and slipping on wet tar strips, haven't ridden in much rain yet though. Not sure how other tires react to similar road surfaces, my 6 and tires have about 8,000 on them .

I've gotten caught in a couple of thunderstorms and haven't noticed any issues with the F6B. Certainly doesn't feel any worse than any other heavy bike I've owned.

Quote Originally Posted by XKnight View Post
    I've gotten caught in a couple of thunderstorms and haven't noticed any issues with the F6B. Certainly doesn't feel any worse than any other heavy bike I've owned.
    I agree, I got caught on the freeway in a big monsoon in Riverside Calif. last month, could not see the white stripes for over 10 miles had flooding on freeway rode through 6" of water at 40MPH with no problems other than getting wet. They even closed the freeway as I was going thought it for an hr. The only other Scoot that I ride that handles the wet freeway and roads that good is my VTX1800.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Check your preload. I had never looked at mine until I disassembled the bike this weeked to change the air filter. My bike did like yours on tar strips and groved roads. My preload was set at 0. I decided to add 1/4 preload on the provided scale just to try it. It rides better and is no longer effected by tar patches and road groves. Wish I had added some preload before. It is a totally different ride.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Started my ride to the rally last Friday in the rain, and 3 hours in the wet coming home yesterday. Never felt an issue. I know what you are talking about though, years ago I had a BMW K1200LT that would scare you riding in the rain.

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas TC View Post
    Check your preload. I had never looked at mine until I disassembled the bike this weeked to change the air filter. My bike did like yours on tar strips and groved roads. My preload was set at 0. I decided to add 1/4 preload on the provided scale just to try it. It rides better and is no longer effected by tar patches and road groves. Wish I had added some preload before. It is a totally different ride.
    I think they all come set on 0 when new. Mine was like that also. It was way too soft two up. Got it up halfway now and feels about right two up.

I fear the tar strips and yes a little wiggle but nothing dangerous.

I just rode in my first thunderstorm over the weeken, and I was blown away by how rock solid the ride was. Granted, I only have about 700 miles on the bike/tires, but it was nothing but stable through 90+ minutes of downpour.

Is the OP talking about front, rear, or both?

Good idea to check the preload for the rear but what about the front? Is this the fork "wobble" that some Goldwing owners talk about?

When I go over metal grate bridges, my front end feels wiggly. I'm wondering if a superbrace will eliminate that feeling... or if it's just inherent to the bike.