BMW 6 cylinder bagger?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW 6 cylinder bagger?

BMW 6 cylinder bagger?

This may have been posted before, but if so I missed it. MCN posted a spy shot of a BMW bagger based off of their 1600 6 cylinder motor. It has a trunk(removable?) and I would bet based on their track record it will have cruise and electric windscreen and other tempting gadgets.

It will also have....

An enormous price tag, short service intervals, few dealerships, expensive repairs, and snooty people behind the counter. I had an 06 k1200lt, the bells and whistles sold me, but they couldn't figure out why I had no fm reception on the stereo. Thank god I bought the extended warranty when I bought it used. Replace the antenna, over a hundred bucks, no good. Replace the radio, 600 bucks, still no go, replace the wiring between stereo and antenna, another 200 bucks, no go. After 2 seasons and multiple trips to the dealership, I made them buy it back with a little depreciation for mileage. Anything that breaks on these things is very expensive. Yeah the electric centerstand was cool, but over a grand if it crapped out. Hardly ever used the heated seats and grips and only needed reverse once, wouldn't have needed it if I didn't have it, I would have parked better. I bailed on bmw before the warranty was up.

I also had a K12LT. Let's just say I've moved on
    Ken (Hornblower)

They alright sell the 1600 without the trunk and shorter handlebars.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdawg View Post
    This may have been posted before, but if so I missed it. MCN posted a spy shot of a BMW bagger based off of their 1600 6 cylinder motor. It has a trunk(removable?) and I would bet based on their track record it will have cruise and electric windscreen and other tempting gadgets.
    Have a link to the pic? I can't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by mercator1 View Post
    Have a link to the pic? I can't find it.
    http://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/ne..._/R-EPI-144331

Short People...

Need not apply! Had a K75 years ago and I don't think I ever had both tip toes on the ground. I can only imagine how high this one is.
    "Great Britain's a great country, but it's not an idea ... that's how we see [America] around the world, one of the greatest ideas in human history." Bono

My 2003 K1200GT smoked like crazy since new... and this was considered normal. This bike had the inline 4 cylinder motor and when parked on the sidestand, engine oil would seep into the combustion chambers. Upon the next startup, billows of white smoke would pour out of the exhaust pipe until it all burned off; after which the exhaust would be normal.

The Ultimate driving machine? Whatever.

Their 6 cylinder motor is pretty awesome and if I like their overall package I will probably take a chance. I wouldn't trade my f6b. I have owned a bmw car before and it was a pretty costly experience, but I still got a lot of enjoyment for my money.

Cool I like BMW's

I had a 2002 BMW K1200LT, I bought it in 2003 with 3,000 miles on it for $12,000! Still had two year warranty left. I owned it for a number of years and sold it with over 80,000 miles on it for $8,000. My LT was great! The only things that went wrong were a broken trunk latch and shifter bracket. I have replaced trunk latch with aluminum aftermarket one and all was well after that. The shifter arm was replaced under warranty by dealer, who informed me it wasn't lubricated enough. It never gave me any trouble again.

LT proved a worthy companion, reliable, fast, good handling and super comfortable to me and my wife (she used to ride with me back then). I loved that bike.

Yes, it was normal to puff black smoke for a few seconds if parked on a sidestand overnight. To eliminate that I parked it on centerstand, which I find to have been easier to use than the Goldwing one. I also bought a power centerstand from ebay and installed it myself. It worked great! It was fun to show it off to HD guys at bike gatherings!

Cruise on it was to me better than Goldwing's, it would act immediately and I can also use my left hand to actuate it and completely relax my throttle hand for a while. Power windshield was awesome! I can't believe Goldwing still does not have one! Stereo sounded great, too!

All in all I loved the bike, just replaced it due to mileage. I didn't think the new K1600GTL was really a replacement for it so I bought a tried and true Goldwing. I always felt very secure in a Goldwing but didn't really felt as excited about it as I was with the BMW. so, when F6B came out I had to try it. I loved it right away! So I sold the Goldwing and bought my new black F6B. Now I feel I finally got a worthy succesor to my BMW!

Here is what my LT looked like:

Black IS the fastest color!
    Attached Images Attached Images