proposed club ride/vacation. - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: proposed club ride/vacation.

Here are the places we will be staying at on our clubs Yellowstone adventure, any input would be appreciated.

Keystone, SD
    June 26-28
    Keystone Boardwalk
    250 Winter Street
    Keystone, SD
    (605) 666-4990
    800-252-2119
    http://www.keystoneboardwalk.com/

Cody, Wy
    June 29-30
    Skyline Motor Inn
    1919 17th St.
    Cody, WY
    800-843-8809
    http://www.skylinemotorinn.com/

West Yellowstone, Mt
    July 1-2
    One Horse Motel
    216 North Dunraven Street
    West Yellowstone, Mt

FYI. Montana and North Dakota are Helmet States.

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    Agreed, Terry!
    Not to de-rail the thread, but to your question, it varies depending on where you get your certification from. Around my area, classes are held at the hunting/gun shops and are generally taught by active or former law enforcement instructors. In my experience those classes do a MUCH better job on the hands-on testing portion of the training. Involves moving to cover, working reloads, shooting from various positions/stances, using dom/non-dom hands, etc. I had a buddy who took his class at a large "armory"-type gun store and was taught by "NRA Qualified" staff, and from what he said, the hands-on was a joke. There were participants in his class that were unaware of the differences between an autoloader, and a revolver....that to me is somewhat frightening.
    Pretty funny
    And them people are armed and walking the street
    You would think they would at least be qualified to the extent that they they had the ability to hit what they were shooting at ???????

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Here are the places we will be staying at on our clubs Yellowstone adventure, any input would be appreciated.

Keystone, SD
    June 26-28
    Keystone Boardwalk
    250 Winter Street
    Keystone, SD
    (605) 666-4990
    800-252-2119

Cody, Wy
    June 29-30
    Skyline Motor Inn
    1919 17th St.
    Cody, WY
    800-843-8809

West Yellowstone, Mt
    July 1-2
    One Horse Motel
    West Yellowstone, Mt

FYI. Montana and North Dakota are Helmet States.

Has anyone been to any decent bars near the motels that we are staying in during our Yellowstone trip ?

For the vets in the group this is worth checking out. http://www.tourofhonor.com/ I am going to bring this up at the next Legion Riders meeting.

Riding a Goldwing is like opening a can of testosterone.
    Go Green - Recycle Congress!!!!

Lodging option....

My buddy and I make a multi-state, 10 day to 2 week trip every year and have found a great, readily available lodging option. Whenever possible, we stay at KOA in their Kamping Kabins (I know..hokey name). The base unit always has a full size bed and a set of bunks. Depending on the local weather, there will be heat and a/c. Some have small refrigerators and I've even found one with a small TV. Porch swing and picnic table. Fire ring. And I've stayed in them from Bar Harbor, Maine to Tombstone, Az and, without exception, all the restroom/shower facilities are always spotless. We've paid as little as 30 bucks, and as much as 90 (Deadwood during Sturgis week), but the average is 50. Safe travels.....

Oh, and if you purchase their frequent kamper kard (yeah, more hokey), you save 10% and accumulate points that add up to further cash discounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Vol1chuck View Post
    My buddy and I make a multi-state, 10 day to 2 week trip every year and have found a great, readily available lodging option. Whenever possible, we stay at KOA in their Kamping Kabins (I know..hokey name). The base unit always has a full size bed and a set of bunks. Depending on the local weather, there will be heat and a/c. Some have small refrigerators and I've even found one with a small TV. Porch swing and picnic table. Fire ring. And I've stayed in them from Bar Harbor, Maine to Tombstone, Az and, without exception, all the restroom/shower facilities are always spotless. We've paid as little as 30 bucks, and as much as 90 (Deadwood during Sturgis week), but the average is 50. Safe travels.....

Oh, and if you purchase their frequent kamper kard (yeah, more hokey), you save 10% and accumulate points that add up to further cash discounts.
    Will keep that in mind for future trips, are doubling w/another person so the price is not that bad, $400.00 total lodging for (7) nights per person.

As of today, our most current itinerary :This should be about right!

Day 1 Friday June 26 - Memorial Park, Shakopee, MN - Keystone, SD - 575 mi
    Keystone, South Dakota
    Keystone Boardwalk Motel
    250 Winter Street
    Keystone, SD
    (605) 666-4990
    800-252-2119

Day 2 Saturday June 27 - Iron Mountain Rd, Mount Coolidge, Custer State Park Wildlife Loop, Needles Highway, Old Hill City Rd - Laid back 115 mile day
    Keystone

Day 3 Sunday June 28 - Johnson Siding, Norris Peak Rd, Nemo Rd, Vanocker Canyon Rd, Spearfish Canyon Rd, Pactola Reservoir - 185 mi
    Keystone

Day 4 Monday June 29 - Devils Tower, Bighorn Mountains National Park - 445 mi
    385 mi if we skip Devils Tower
    Cody, Wyoming
    Skyline Motor Inn
    1919 17th St.
    Cody, WY
    800-843-8809

Day 5 Tuesday June 30 - Chief Joseph Memorial Highway, Beartooth Pass/ Beartooth All-American Road, Red Lodge Montana - 225 mi
    Cody, Wy

Day 6 Wednesday July 1 - Explore Yellowstone Park - 185 mi
    West Yellowstone, Montana
    One Horse Motel
    West Yellowstone, MT
    1-800-488-2750
    http://www.onehorsemotel.com/

Day 7 Thursday July 2 - Explore Yellowstone Park - Grand Teton National Park - 215 mi
    West Yellowstone, MT

The ride home from West Yellowstone is about 1,075 miles. We'll be doing that in 3 days with some scenic areas along the way, Mamoth Hot Springs, Beartooth Pass and Theodore Roosevelt National Park (the Badlands of North Dakota) I haven't booked rooms for the way home. There are a lot of hotels and motels along interstate 94... we may just "wing it."

Day 8 Friday July 3 - 1/2 day in Yellowstone, Mammoth Hot Springs
    Leave Yellowstone and put some miles east on Interstate 94 to set-up the ride home - 325-375 mi
    Forsyth or Miles City, Montana

Day 9 Saturday July 4 - Theodore Roosevelt National Park, Badlands of North Dakota - 315-370 mi
    Steele or Jamestown, North Dakota

Day 10 Sunday July 5 - 330-385 mi - Home

Quote Originally Posted by Vol1chuck View Post

Yeah, agreed. The bar has been raised at the KOA's in recent years. We find most locations that we have used to have clean facilities and friendly welcoming management and guests.

I can heartily recommend the following locations.

Salt Lake City
    San Diego
    Petaluma
    Albany/Corvallis