Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
The problem I have with C.C. permits is the same I have with weekend classes that give you a MC license! Passing neither class makes you proficient doing either one.....
Training in any form is better than being self taught. When I first got my instrument rating as a pilot, I was legal to go fly in the clouds. In other words, a license to learn. Was I proficient at it? Absolutely not. The only way to get there, after proper training, was practice, practice, practice. And the only way to practice was to go and do it. Many a visual flight rules only pilot, although proficient in flying during severe clear conditions, is pushing up daisies after venturing into instrument conditions and losing control due to a lack of training. I agree with ya that going to a week end class doesn't make you a proficient motorcyclist, but it does give you practice and information in areas they you don't even consider when you learn on your own. I would much rather have family/friends get their license after taking an MSF (or other) class and then taking the self responsiblity of using what they have learned, and easing into street riding, as opposed to reading the book, teaching themselves to ride and taking the state test.

In most states, the MSF class serves as the state driving test. Many people get their license by taking the test without any proper training. I would argue that the one who took the class will be a better rider. Any MSF instructor will caution new riders that they may be legal after they get their license, they still have a lot of work to do before they can consider themselves proficient motorcyclists.

People don't have the opportunity like most of us older fellows had growing up. When I was a kid, there would be 50 motorcycles parked at school everyday. It was part of our culture growing up and gave us the opportunity to become the riders we are today. Most new riders now are older guys who just now can afford it, and think that riding a motorcycle would be cool.

I have been involved with the MSF since the late 90's and still am an active ridercoach. I have a class this week end as a matter of fact. Is it something I do for the money? That's laughable. It's something I do because I love the sport, I have lost a lot of friends to M/C crashes, but mostly the joy I get when I see the look on a new rider's face when it clicks, and he get's it.