Strange motorcycle crash story - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Strange motorcycle crash story

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Thanks Shooter!

Trouble is, I bet we never will know what the heck really happened,,,

XDs 3.3

I carry my XDs 3.3 in a Gould B893 Holster. It is thick leather, well formed to the semi auto pistol and is lined, it is an inside the pants holster. It has a strong clip on it and over my 2" belt it stays snug in my pants where I intend it to stay. Of course I have not fallen or been knocked off this motorcycle yet to see if it stays, but the XDs has enough safety features to keep it from firing. I'm thinking this guy must have had a revolver, or as previously noted a cocked and locked semi. The world, especially here in the USA is crazy these days, I never go without a pistol....anywhere. I've had armed confrontations and it's over before it began and even worse if you are not heeled. Additionally, I carry another magazine in the cubby. If you find yourself in one of these road rage incidents, use you bike like a horse in a western movie and take cover behind it after rolling it over on it's side, try to retrieve your spare mag before letting it go to the high side. Shoot to kill, and don't get out of the fight until the threat is neutralized. If you run, he will probably take you down. My two cents.

Always Chambered!

Quote Originally Posted by austin_tech View Post
    Nah, no need, this is a cultural trend of late. Some of the southern states have liberalized gun regulations to the point of absurdity. Wear a kevlar vest in AZ or OK, it's the Wild West, baby!

Also, carrying a firearm with a round chambered (I presume the motorcyclist in the article did) is not a good idea unless you're in a war zone and there is an imminent threat. That's basic military training. It's also common sense.

And yes, I have firearms and a CC: license.
    I have carried a weapon, mostly pistols since 1978, everyday. An unchambered pistol, you may as well leave at home or in the trunk. Never had an accidental discharge (with a pistol), practice regularly and shoot to KILL. In this state (TEXAS) the law has changed, anyone can carry in or on their VEHICLE without a Concealed Carry. You can't carry into anyplace whose main revenue is 51% or greater of Alcoholic Beverages even if you are a Concealed Carry holder. State Police are authorized to carry for life as long as they qualify annually. All other Police fall under the Federal Law which allows Honorably Retired Police to Carry in any State under the credentials issued to them upon retirement.FYI

dealers choice

This is an interesting thread, I think, for me, caring a legal weapon is an essential piece of riding gear. Just like boots and helmets. I'm not going to "out" my carrying practice, but there are many safe ways to carry concealed. A high quality gun, for instance, has built in safety engineering to prevent accidental discharge. Plus 1 on the Sig brand, P50 compact is a great choice, or something heavier in the winter when you have more clothing. A P229/228 is fine for that. In states with open carry, like Texas and AZ, that's an option that if you choose, is a great deterrent from dip$h!t drivers. for some odd reason, they see a gun, but not a 850 lb motorcycle with bright lights... Go figure. If you wear a vest, coronado leather makes a good choice. I've seen the clipdraw holster clip (google it) that is cheap and awesome- unless its really cold. The cubby holds a compact nicely, and is easy to get to.

I guess it's dealers choice, but be sure you can get to it in a hurry if you need to , and it's safe and secure. As motorcyclists we are exposed to the world more then others, and I for one feel better protected.

I had a buddy run down a few years ago in an intersection, and lost his right leg. The witnesses all said it was intentional, and the driver made sure to hit him, back up and drive away. In my book, that's an assault with a deadly weapon. If he managed to get a shot off, or his passenger, the assailant would have had to explain the bullet hole in his car. or maybe had to go to the hospital. instead, he had the car fixed in a body shop ( which we found, by the way) and eventually fled the country back to Honduras. no charges were filed, and the biker buddy is in debt to this day for medical bills, but still riding with a prosthetic.

So, I carry. where, you ask? hope you never have to find out....

Here in Canada it's the reverse . If you are in a room with a someone carrying a gun, it's so out if the ordinary and illegal that you immediately think to leave the room with your women and children. You realize the guy is a nutbar, mentally unstable and dangerous . No way I would want to get into a shoot out with him. I would leave the premises immediately with people I care about and leave the enforcement to the professionals that do this everyday, trained for it, risk their lives as part of their job.
    I'm not superhuman and no ones life is a Dirty Harry movie.

Is it even legal to shoot someone?

Thank goodness the guy who was riding didn't shoot an innocent.

Quote Originally Posted by Spankyrir View Post
    ng. A P229/228 is fine for that. In states with open carry, like Texas and AZ, that's an option that if you choose, is a great deterrent from dip$h!t drivers. for some odd reason, they see a gun, but not a 850 lb motorcycle with bright lights...
    So how many 'dipshit drivers' have you shot/killed, or do you just wave it around for effect?

Lucky--A couple of things...first, we're talking about concealed carry so you usually have no idea that someone is "armed". Second, using your weapon is only legal if you are in fear of serious bodily harm. Even then, you may be depending on a jury to clear you in the event you shoot someone. Bottom line is, you don't even pull your weapon unless the threat is clear and imminent. To be honest, I don't believe the short training class for concealed carry is nearly enough training to fully prepare one for EDC. Most people don't really want the responsibility of carrying and possibly having to use a gun to protect themselves or others. All the "others" are just hoping someone else will be around to protect them if something bad happens.
    Ken (Hornblower)

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluciano View Post
    I'm not superhuman and no ones life is a Dirty Harry movie.

Is it even legal to shoot someone?
    Well, ya know, whether some want to admit it or not, the mentality of a 'Dirty Harry',,, or a John Wayne, or whatever gunslinger or rap-star they think is a good example of 'rough-tough/don't mess with me!!!' is indeed personified in their thoughts. Pretty easy to buy a piece and strap on a new attitude/identity. Happens every minute in da hood...

But, IMHO, this is not the definition of everyone who has a gun. Most who carry responsibly don't really 'advertise' say a lot about it unless they are in a group discussion of that subject. Some may even tell you they don't carry,,,,,,

Yes, in some instances, it's perfectly legal to shoot someone. The saying we have here in TX is make sure you drag them inside your house...

shooter
    I'm not believing this story. Guys even if it was a 1911 cocked and locked someone had to depress the grip safety, flip the safety off and pull the trigger. Like I said an old single action revolver , SAA or old black hawk that hadn't been updated. Maybe even a cheap POS revolver that the safety features failed. And how was he carrying it that it shot him in the chest. In the 32 years that I've carried on a daily basis I have had two head on collisions in my truck , neither my fault , wrecked four wheelers many times , fallen while walking in the woods at night coon hunting , been thrown by horses , and many other physical activities. I've never had an AD carrying numerous types of firearms. I'm just skeptical.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Most people don't really want the responsibility of carrying and possibly having to use a gun to protect themselves or others. All the "others" are just hoping someone else will be around to protect them if something bad happens.
    There is another group,,,, Those who naturally avoid potential hazards, and live life w/o weapons or worry. (Way, way more common than carrying a weapon, actually. )

Those who proclaim their 'faith',,, If the man upstairs want's you to live, you'll live. The opposite is just as true, weapon or not. All he asks is 'Don't be a complete damn fool in the meantime!!'