Strange motorcycle crash story - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Strange motorcycle crash story

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    The problem I have with C.C. permits is the same I have with weekend classes that give you a MC license! Passing neither class makes you proficient doing either one.....
    Training in any form is better than being self taught. When I first got my instrument rating as a pilot, I was legal to go fly in the clouds. In other words, a license to learn. Was I proficient at it? Absolutely not. The only way to get there, after proper training, was practice, practice, practice. And the only way to practice was to go and do it. Many a visual flight rules only pilot, although proficient in flying during severe clear conditions, is pushing up daisies after venturing into instrument conditions and losing control due to a lack of training. I agree with ya that going to a week end class doesn't make you a proficient motorcyclist, but it does give you practice and information in areas they you don't even consider when you learn on your own. I would much rather have family/friends get their license after taking an MSF (or other) class and then taking the self responsiblity of using what they have learned, and easing into street riding, as opposed to reading the book, teaching themselves to ride and taking the state test.

In most states, the MSF class serves as the state driving test. Many people get their license by taking the test without any proper training. I would argue that the one who took the class will be a better rider. Any MSF instructor will caution new riders that they may be legal after they get their license, they still have a lot of work to do before they can consider themselves proficient motorcyclists.

People don't have the opportunity like most of us older fellows had growing up. When I was a kid, there would be 50 motorcycles parked at school everyday. It was part of our culture growing up and gave us the opportunity to become the riders we are today. Most new riders now are older guys who just now can afford it, and think that riding a motorcycle would be cool.

I have been involved with the MSF since the late 90's and still am an active ridercoach. I have a class this week end as a matter of fact. Is it something I do for the money? That's laughable. It's something I do because I love the sport, I have lost a lot of friends to M/C crashes, but mostly the joy I get when I see the look on a new rider's face when it clicks, and he get's it.

Real men only need this weapon:

Attachment 7627

Because with this versatile weapon i can open the the bottle of the ultimate power liquid and become SUPERMAN! Attachment 7630

Attachment 7629

Cheers Guys!
    Always a good and safe ride,
    Karim

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_tech View Post
    Man, the testosterone has started to gush on this thread, boys!
    Let's all go on a ride together with Glocks in a shoulder holster with a round chambered!
    "Might as well leave it at home unless it's ready to fire" -- holy cow!

Happy Friday folks, ride safe out there, and stop waving the guns around. I'm going to Condition Green down here in Austin!
    If you're in condition Green in Texas its a wonder they don't exile you from the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurare79 View Post
    Real men only need this weapon:

Attachment 7627

Because with this versatile weapon i can open the the bottle of the ultimate power liquid and become SUPERMAN! Attachment 7630

Attachment 7629

Cheers Guys!

I'll drink to that!!!
    "Great Britain's a great country, but it's not an idea ... that's how we see [America] around the world, one of the greatest ideas in human history." Bono

The best gun control is achieved by using both hands during operation.

Riding a Goldwing is like opening a can of testosterone.
    Go Green - Recycle Congress!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by austin_tech View Post
    Man, the testosterone has started to gush on this thread, boys!
    Let's all go on a ride together with Glocks in a shoulder holster with a round chambered!
    "Might as well leave it at home unless it's ready to fire" -- holy cow!

Happy Friday folks, ride safe out there, and stop waving the guns around. I'm going to Condition Green down here in Austin!

No Glocks in shoulder holsters for me, thanks. I like the Beretta Nano 9mm, chambered, in a belly band holstered under my left arm. Always. Now that is invisible. I do this very responsibly, because that part of it is more important to me than some I know. Not going to waive any guns around today, and probably would not have even without the suggestion. I will ride safely today, and again likely would have anyway. I very much enjoyed reading all of this thread. Yes, all. Holy cow indeed.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    I hear ya on ~training~,,,

Grew up on a Farm around guns/ dad's guidance. Gun safety was always a great concern.

Did some practicing/ a little hunting, but never really got that 'in' to it.

But,,, we kids all the opportunity to be taught at least some very basic 'don't point it anything you don't want to kill' stuff,,,

Today, lotsa kids don't have hundreds of acres and a father well-versed in basic firearm safety to learn about firearms,,

Today, it's video games, where you always get unlimited chances/lives,,, Music video's where guns are idolized,,, almost portrayed as a 'right of passage' to manhood, or something,,,

I guess if you weren't taught differently, you just might not know the difference,,,

I'm glad this is staying civil for the most part. America isn't the wild Wild West that it sounds like.
    But our gun rights have afforded us the freedoms we love and respect.
    The Japanese didn't do a ground invasion because "There was a riffle behind of every blade of grass"
    I got into a fist fight when I was a bit younger, while carrying concealed. The gun never came out, and come to find out the other guy I was fighting with had a ccw and carrying as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericb445 View Post
    I'm glad this is staying civil for the most part. America isn't the wild Wild West that it sounds like.
    But our gun rights have afforded us the freedoms we love and respect.
    The Japanese didn't do a ground invasion because "There was a riffle behind of every blade of grass"
    I got into a fist fight when I was a bit younger, while carrying concealed. The gun never came out, and come to find out the other guy I was fighting with had a ccw and carrying as well.

Not the norm....
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Carry

Quote Originally Posted by Ericb445 View Post
    http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...-in-black-hawk

Be careful out there. If you have carry permit how do you carry on your bike, if you care to share?

I tend to pocket carry in an uncle mikes holster.

Glock 19/ Baretta 84/ S&W 19 2" nickel/ Baretta .25(flip up barrel) ..

Glock 19 Always in a hip holster..long shirt over..or.. SweatShirt tucked under barrel...more comfortable..and just works for me!!