Honda response to paint issue - Page 7
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Honda response to paint issue

Quote Originally Posted by indiatango View Post
    I guess I will be contacting Mother Honda directly to convey my dissatisfaction. Anyway, that's my story and sorry for the rant.
    There is no need for you to apologize to us, for letting off some steam on this issue. I can tell you that if and when you call Mother Honda, and are stuck with talking to "Randy" in customer service, he will just shine you on, and nothing will be done at their end.

I am waiting until I can see the 2014 F6Bs at the bike show here in February, before I take the next step. I want to know if they are still using the same paint process, and NO clear coat, or did they change things. If they did change things....then there was a reason for the change, and then we have a leg to stand on. Once I can confirm what the 2014 paint looks like, I think WE all need to join in on a Class Action lawsuit against Honda, and seek satisfaction through legal channels. That is not how any of us wanted to handle this, but when Honda sells us a bike for approx. $ 20K, and it comes to us with bad paint, or soft paint, etc, then they should warranty this paint issue.

It they won't take care of us, we may have to force the issue, and make they answer to us in court.

Dr. Miles,

Dallas has already had their International Motorcycle Show and, being early, they did not have a 2014 F6B. They did, however have the 2014 blacked out full wing setting next to a 2013 F6B and both show bikes were covered in scratches. They looked to have been painted wth the same paint and process on both bikes. Both looked like they were 2 years old with minimal care performed by the owner.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am not, I suppose, directly involved with the Honda paint issue as I had my bike custom painted a different color before taking delivery. I was not really aware of the magnitude of this problem as the dealer where I bought my bike, a very large reputable dealer in Michigan, had not heard of any paint issues at the time...I had mine painted, in all honesty, because I had heard of some complaints around the horn, and my wife, bless her heart, gave me the go ahead to paint mine a different color cause she did not like the black or red that was available, nor did I...Now my question...Do Goldwings have this problem with paint and other Honda bikes as well???..Or did it start when they moved back to Japan??...I have heard their cars have lousy paint also, but cannot comment one way or another...My last Honda was a 05 VTXF 1800 and the paint was outstanding,including the graphics....Just curious,,,,,Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    ..Now my question...Do Goldwings have this problem with paint and other Honda bikes as well???..Or did it start when they moved back to Japan??...
    Good question, and the answer is that the paint issue started with the bikes being produced in Japan. I have had three GL-1800s prior to this one, and all three were either the Platinum or Titanium paint, and with a combined 325K miles on those 3 bikes....I "never" once had to wax my bikes...ever. I washed them occassionally...I would use Honda Spray Polish cleaner on the windshield and headlights/taillights, etc, but I "never"...ever...waxed or polished the painted surfaces of any of those three bikes, all made and painted in Marysville, OH.

Previous to that, I also owned two GL-1500s, and both of those were all Black bikes. Same story as above....washed them...and never had a need to wax them.

Okay, I am more into riding my bikes than into washing them. And it does not bother me to have the dirtiest bike at an F6B rally or gathering. Because I know I rode a lot of miles to get there, and people accept that. But to know that the paint on these bikes is NOT covered with a clear coat, and that the paint scratches so easily, and leaves marks, and that the bugs that strike the front of the fairing are imbedded for a millenium, does not make me happy.

I could easily afford to have this entire bike repainted....the cost is not the issue. To me, it is a matter of disrespect on the part of Honda to refuse to take care of their customers that buy these bikes, and yet they have actually admitted to some of us that...yes...there is a paint issue. They have even suggested that we might want to buy a special kind of polish, and a special kind of buffer, and just keep polishing and buffing the bike, for as long as it takes. Problem is...some of us want to actually ride the bikes.

I personally know of a 1000 GL-1800 riders that had NO problems with the paint on their 2001-2010 model Wings. But the bikes from 2012-2013 are the ones with paint problems. And I know, or have heard of....hundreds of F6B riders that have bad paint.

Ultimately, if I have to deal with this myself, I will. I "never" planned or intended to have my bike re-painted in the first year. I would rather rub this in Hondas face, and see what they do about it. In the meantime, I can ride my bike, put miles on it, and after the first year...or two...after all accessories are completed, the bike is well broken in, and when there is not another NEED to take it all apart to install something else, or repair something...then come next Winter I may be in for a complete new paint job. I already have chosen the color scheme...the first week I owned the bike, so it is just a matter of timing, perseverence, and pushing Hondas buttons as far as I can, to see what they will or will not due.

In the long run...long run...Honda "will" pay for this. Either through bad press, or through a class action lawsuit, but it will cost Honda more in the long run than it would to simply take care of their loyal customers now.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    Good question, and the answer is that the paint issue started with the bikes being produced in Japan. I have had three GL-1800s prior to this one, and all three were either the Platinum or Titanium paint, and with a combined 325K miles on those 3 bikes....I "never" once had to wax my bikes...ever. I washed them occassionally...I would use Honda Spray Polish cleaner on the windshield and headlights/taillights, etc, but I "never"...ever...waxed or polished the painted surfaces of any of those three bikes,
    Previous to that, I also owned two GL-1500s, and both of those were all Black bikes. Same story as above....washed them...and never had a need to wax them.
    all made and painted in Marysville, OH.

Okay, I am more into riding my bikes than into washing them. And it does not bother me to have the dirtiest bike at an F6B rally or gathering. Because I know I rode a lot of miles to get there, and people accept that. But to know that the paint on these bikes is NOT covered with a clear coat, and that the paint scratches so easily, and leaves marks, and that the bugs that strike the front of the fairing are imbedded for a millenium, does not make me happy.

I could easily afford to have this entire bike repainted....the cost is not the issue. To me, it is a matter of disrespect on the part of Honda to refuse to take care of their customers that buy these bikes, and yet they have actually admitted to some of us that...yes...there is a paint issue. They have even suggested that we might want to buy a special kind of polish, and a special kind of buffer, and just keep polishing and buffing the bike, for as long as it takes. Problem is...some of us want to actually ride the bikes.

I personally know of a 1000 GL-1800 riders that had NO problems with the paint on their 2001-2010 model Wings. But the bikes from 2012-2013 are the ones with paint problems. And I know, or have heard of....hundreds of F6B riders that have bad paint.

Ultimately, if I have to deal with this myself, I will. I "never" planned or intended to have my bike re-painted in the first year. I would rather rub this in Hondas face, and see what they do about it. In the meantime, I can ride my bike, put miles on it, and after the first year...or two...after all accessories are completed, the bike is well broken in, and when there is not another NEED to take it all apart to install something else, or repair something...then come next Winter I may be in for a complete new paint job. I already have chosen the color scheme...the first week I owned the bike, so it is just a matter of timing, perseverence, and pushing Hondas buttons as far as I can, to see what they will or will not due.

In the long run...long run...Honda "will" pay for this. Either through bad press, or through a class action lawsuit, but it will cost Honda more in the long run than it would to simply take care of their loyal customers now.
    A well thought out plan Miles and one I concur 100%. Sad, but true Honda has dropped the ball on this one IMO.
    My 2013 F6B is black and its paint is junk IMO, it is the newest Honda I own all the others are 02 to 05 all made and painted in Marysville with paint that is as good today as the day Honda painted them. I will take action as I see fit or join a class action if needed.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Thanks for the response Miles and I guess only time will tell what Honda will, or will not do, to address this paint issue...As a previous owner of a Victory Vision with the cracking and breaking lower front fender half (most considered very serious)..Victory did nothing more than replace the same defective fender part on those that "bitched"enough...Me, I traded for the F6B.....

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    A well thought out plan Miles and one I concur 100%. Sad, but true Honda has dropped the ball on this one IMO.
    My 2013 F6B is black and its paint is junk IMO, it is the newest Honda I own all the others are 02 to 05 all made and painted in Marysville with paint that is as good today as the day Honda painted them. I will take action as I see fit or join a class action if needed.
    Larry, funny you should say that, because two of my wife's bikes are a 2002 and a 2005 Hondas, yet both were painted in Japan, and both are all Black bikes, and the paint on them looks 100 % better than this 2013 F6B. Hers' are a 2002 Magna 750, and a 2005 Helix. Japan must have changed their painting process over the years. Maybe that is why (joking) they no longer make the Magna or the Helix

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelG View Post
    Teach, if you are "sure" we won't be disappointed...then you would be wrong. I read your other post, and it definetly reads as having been written by someone that clearly does not own one of these bikes yet.

Until Honda makes their decision as to what "they" are going to do regarding the bad paint on our bikes, I believe it would be an error to cover the bad paint with Liquid Glass, before the Honda reps get a chance to see and document every one of these bikes. I, for one, am not into washing my bike every time I take it out for a ride, and I most certainly am not into waxing it or polishing it...at all...ever. But then again, I ride my bike...rather than post about bikes I don't even own.

The Professor
    I was considering buying a new F6B and have the cash available to do it but....there is no way I will consider laying down $20K for a bike with a second rate finish. Honda is better than that. These are amazing bikes but not with this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtwiz View Post
    I was considering buying a new F6B and have the cash available to do it but....there is no way I will consider laying down $20K for a bike with a second rate finish. Honda is better than that. These are amazing bikes but not with this problem.
    New leftover 2013s can be found for $15,000. That leaves $5000 for a repaint!

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CheesyRider View Post
    New leftover 2013s can be found for $15,000. That leaves $5000 for a repaint!
    I'm going to encourage folks who are considering a 6 but just aren't sure about the paint to NOT buy one.

There are plenty of really shiny bikes down the street at the other dealers!