Honda response to paint issue - Page 8
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Honda response to paint issue

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    I'm going to encourage folks who are considering a 6 but just aren't sure about the paint to NOT buy one.

There are plenty of really shiny bikes down the street at the other dealers!

Fair point. I know I'd be pissed if I purchased an F6B without knowing about the paint issue. I think one of the reasons there are such big discounts is a lot of people aren't buying them because of the paint problems. I haven't purchased mine yet, but thanks to this forum I'll be going in knowing what to expect. It makes the thought of repainting much easier to take. I still plan to complain to Honda about the paint if I find it is as bad as people say. If only to help the cause of those who didn't know about the paint until after they brought their bike home.

I added a clear coat

I knew about the paint issues before buying my F6B. I bought a deeply discounted 2013. Within two weeks I had it stripped down and all the red parts clear coated at the auto body shop. Since I did the work and the paint was brand new, the job was relatively cheap - no chips, no scratches, no re-paint. Just $500. And 3 evenings on either end for the disassemble/re-assemble. Looks super sharp and no worries from here on out! Eyes wide open - and loving every minute of it!
    Steve in OR

Yellow holding up so far

I'm close to 5k and at least 5 washes and LG applications. So far not a swirl or any paint coming off on applicators or wipe offs. The bike is covered under a very dusty carport and even w/ that I'm not finding any noticeable scratches. Was the issue taken care of on the 14'? I can't remember if I read that here or not.
    "Great Britain's a great country, but it's not an idea ... that's how we see [America] around the world, one of the greatest ideas in human history." Bono

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    I have a HOR painted 6. Wife has an OEM black 6 we bought at HOR 1 week after picking mine up.

There is not a HUGE difference between the paint on either bike.

Neither of us are 'polish-aholics'. Each bike has been waxed once since Sept of 13.

~Modern~ paint has different care requirements / characteristics than the old paint of yesteryear. Everyone claims 'they know what they are doing' but if they get swirls after polishing, eh, well, the results speak for themselves.

In addition, Black is the WORST color you can get for showing swirls.

If anyone is a polish-aholic, and wants a black bike, PLEASE do not buy a Honda F6B. Go down the street to the shiny bike store and you'll find all kinds of stuff to 'polish'.

Soft paint red F6b

I have been reading the paint issues and noticed that my bike 2013 F6BD has paint rubbed off on the left rear saddlebag. and some scuffs already. I have had it less than a month...I will let you know what the folks at Honda say.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge View Post
    I have been reading the paint issues and noticed that my bike 2013 F6BD has paint rubbed off on the left rear saddlebag. and some scuffs already. I have had it less than a month...I will let you know what the folks at Honda say.
    They'll say "wow! never heard of that before!!" lol like they did mine. They'll take some pictures and send them off to mother Honda, never to be heard from again.

All you can do is to apply the Liquid Glass and carry on.
    Save a biker........Open your f-ing eyes!! (and get off your phone)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A new paint job doesn't have to be that expensive. If you're willing and able to take the tupperware pieces off yourself, you can take them to a semi-reputable paint shop () and have them repaint it to any color you choose with clearcoat, probably for $600 to $1000, depending on the paint you choose and the shop. I had my Suzuki Burgman done up in a very nice yellow that has held up for years:
    2013 Honda F6B custom orange
    2009 Kawasaki Versys aka "Dr Doom"
    2009 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Stormtrooper"
    2003 Suzuki Burgman 400 "Yoda"

3M film

Quote Originally Posted by jkelley View Post
    Mine originally came straight out the crate as well, I asked the dealer to not touch the paint, don't wash it, or wipe it off.

I cleaned, polished, and waxed it very carefully, and my bike HAS the soft paint problem.

I have installed 3M film on the suspect rub spots but you can simply wipe your finger over the paint and it will scratch.

Like others I have gone the normal route of dealer and mother Honda. Still waiting for a solution from them.
    Jkelly,

How did the 3M film work out for you? That is the next step for my F6B due to the paint on the bike. The self healing Technology by it self is worth it, your thoughts?
    Jrockr

Quote Originally Posted by Jrockr View Post
    Jkelly,

How did the 3M film work out for you? That is the next step for my F6B due to the paint on the bike. The self healing Technology by it self is worth it, your thoughts?
    Jrockr
    Works very well, even after I did a repaint I put the film back on for added protection. There are precut kits you can buy for the tank sides, bags etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelG View Post
    Good question, and the answer is that the paint issue started with the bikes being produced in Japan. I have had three GL-1800s prior to this one, and all three were either the Platinum or Titanium paint, and with a combined 325K miles on those 3 bikes....I "never" once had to wax my bikes...ever. I washed them occassionally...I would use Honda Spray Polish cleaner on the windshield and headlights/taillights, etc, but I "never"...ever...waxed or polished the painted surfaces of any of those three bikes, all made and painted in Marysville, OH.

Previous to that, I also owned two GL-1500s, and both of those were all Black bikes. Same story as above....washed them...and never had a need to wax them.

Okay, I am more into riding my bikes than into washing them. And it does not bother me to have the dirtiest bike at an F6B rally or gathering. Because I know I rode a lot of miles to get there, and people accept that. But to know that the paint on these bikes is NOT covered with a clear coat, and that the paint scratches so easily, and leaves marks, and that the bugs that strike the front of the fairing are imbedded for a millenium, does not make me happy.

I could easily afford to have this entire bike repainted....the cost is not the issue. To me, it is a matter of disrespect on the part of Honda to refuse to take care of their customers that buy these bikes, and yet they have actually admitted to some of us that...yes...there is a paint issue. They have even suggested that we might want to buy a special kind of polish, and a special kind of buffer, and just keep polishing and buffing the bike, for as long as it takes. Problem is...some of us want to actually ride the bikes.

I personally know of a 1000 GL-1800 riders that had NO problems with the paint on their 2001-2010 model Wings. But the bikes from 2012-2013 are the ones with paint problems. And I know, or have heard of....hundreds of F6B riders that have bad paint

Ultimately, if I have to deal with this myself, I will. I "never" planned or intended to have my bike re-painted in the first year. I would rather rub this in Hondas face, and see what they do about it. In the meantime, I can ride my bike, put miles on it, and after the first year...or two...after all accessories are completed, the bike is well broken in, and when there is not another NEED to take it all apart to install something else, or repair something...then come next Winter I may be in for a complete new paint job. I already have chosen the color scheme...the first week I owned the bike, so it is just a matter of timing, perseverence, and pushing Hondas buttons as far as I can, to see what they will or will not due.

In the long run...long run...Honda "will" pay for this. Either through bad press, or through a class action lawsuit, but it will cost Honda more in the long run than it would to simply take care of their loyal customers now.

I found some signs of conspiracy among Honda Mother and her dealers . Since I also noticed swirls and paint imperfections on my black 13 B + reading all stated above comments , I decided to call Customer Dept. , asking for their response . Similarly to many silly answers , they "suggested" to refer the issues to the dealer , who "should make final decision". After presenting my issues to the local one , dealer got upset I've even mentioned , what in his opinion is my "only imagination followed by other Forum complainers". Riding 55 more miles to another Honda dealer to confirm my dissatisfaction , their service manager didn't even look or try to examine my bike . He only said : "We know that , but it is , what it is and you should live with it" .

I believe , we CAN NOT leave this issue to our own vast improvements / costly re-paintings , or dismayed acceptance of the problem . I suggest to provide official letter , signed by ALL OF US and eventually enforce Honda Company to satisfy our basic demands . Until warranty conditions and time are on our side , the only strong and collective determination should review their arrogant position .

Is anybody there , who posses some judicial knowledge and is able to create properly designed complain , which can start this process ? We need everybody's involvement , so should expect some real effects , benefitting our desires to be fully satisfied . Do I ask to much ?