Who makes the tallest windshield that will fit the F6B?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who makes the tallest windshield that will fit the F6B?

Who makes the tallest windshield that will fit the F6B?

I have a few questions about windshields.
    After doing a search that had not given me any satisfying answers I'm turning to my fellow F6B owners. A little background first, I'm 6'5" 35" inseam with a 66" chest and push 400lbs around all day.
    I run WindVests on two of my other steel steeds in the stable and love them(Rune, VTX1800) this is my first full fairing MC that I could change the shield on.
    I replaced the F6B's OEM windshield with a KW flair (13.75"measured from emblem on dash) The KW flair was JUST okay until I installed the Rocky risers(up, back & wider) and had a RDL saddle made(3" up and 4" back). Now the KW flair is way to short, so I get the Clearview Sport Touring Tall, tinted with vent, thinking that would do it.
    The Clearview was a very good improvement and fine sheild, but still not quite tall enough for me(16.75" measured from emblem on dash). There was no buffeting with the Clearview, just way to much wind noise when setting straight up, but was fine if I slouched way over, but that is not the way I ride.

After talking with Clearview they told me they could make me a shield 1" taller for $40 more, but no more than the 1". I feel I need at a min 3" more on the Clearview...so it is on its way back to Clearview and getting my $ back.
    I have attached a few pic of the KW and the Clearview, hole to hole so you can see how they compare to each other.

Here are my questions: Will the older 5 mount hole Goldwing OEM or aftermarket shields fit the 3 hole pattern the newer Goldwing/F6B mount with?
    Who makes the tallest shield, OEM/Honda or aftermarket?
    Any of you real tall guys have this type issue with their shield?

In conclusion I have come to a very somber realization NEVER BUY A WINDSHIELD UNTIL YOU HAVE THE SADLLE AND BARS SET THE WAY YOU WANT FIRST

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

Why didn't you go with the Bagger shield, I think it rings the bell at 19"with both pieces in place and 14 with just the bottom.. Hold on I'll post a pic with both pieces in place.

Attachment 6912Attachment 6913

wow a bird got me on the way home!
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post

Here are my questions: Will the older 5 mount hole Goldwing OEM or aftermarket shields fit the 3 hole pattern the newer Goldwing/F6B mount with?

YES. You may want to invest in some fender washers as the slots are a bit wider.

Who makes the tallest shield, OEM/Honda or aftermarket?
    Any of you real tall guys have this type issue with their shield?

In conclusion I have come to a very somber realization NEVER BUY A WINDSHIELD UNTIL YOU HAVE THE SADLLE AND BARS SET THE WAY YOU WANT FIRST
    With GW shields as a viable alternative,,,, you'll get best response regarding 'what's tallest' from those who have/had GL's..

If you want quiet,,,,

I'm pretty sure Madstad can make ya a wider shield.(They offered to do so for me) With that in mind, they might be able to offer you a taller (than 15) shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Fla_rider View Post
    Why didn't you go with the Bagger shield, I think it rings the bell at 19". Hold on I'll post a pic with both pieces in place.
    No offence, but I really don't like the look of the Bagger shield, just not my cup of...er....you get my drift,
    I also want to look over not through the shield and why the flair or re-curve was my first choice.

No offense taken, I run most the time without the top portion. Just the lower provides great protection and i hear the radio at 14 doing 80. Of course I have Baker Wings too!
    John (Jay) Bettua
    2014 F6b Red- sold 2016
    2020 Goldwing Matte Black
    Retired U.S. Air Force MSgt

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    How about a Tulsa?

Yeah, it's big, but I bet you can still see over it,,,

http://www.allamericanprod.com/1800.html

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    With GW shields and a viable alternative,,,, you'll get best response regarding 'what's tallest' from those who have/had GL's..

If you want quiet,,,,

I'm pretty sure Madstad can make ya a wider shield.(They offered to do so for me) With that in mind, they might be able to offer you a taller (than 15) shield.
    Thanks Scot, I'm thinking of getting one of them tall OEM 5 hole shields I see on Fleabay all the time for cheap. Now I just need to find out how tall they really are, I have the ability & tools to cut one down, drill holes, buff & polish if needed.

I have also run the Windvest on my Road Glides. I talked to Doug and he almost has the 14" ready for our F6B. He is sending me one of the prototypes and I will post pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    How about a Tulsa?

Yeah, it's big, but I bet you can still see over it,,,

http://www.allamericanprod.com/1800.html
    I'm calling them tomorrow....THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by 99m3 View Post
    I have also run the Windvest on my Road Glides. I talked to Doug and he almost has the 14" ready for our F6B. He is sending me one of the prototypes and I will post pics.
    Yea I knew Doug was working on something for the F6B, but also I know it will probably be to short for me.
    I look forward to the pic