What did you do to your F6B today? - Page 17
Page 17 of 126 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262767117 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to your F6B today?

Installed CB antenna today with DeerSlayer's (Foggy Bottom Motor Works) custom-fabricated bracket. Thanks to DS, the installation went great and looks great. See here:

Attachment 10712

While I wasn't looking, DS added something a little extra...

Attachment 10714

Gotta watch that guy every minute
    Ken (Hornblower)

Paniment Valley Ride

It was a nice Hi Desert afternoon so the wife and I took a ride up the Paniment Valley in So. Cal. 65' was not bad in a sweatshirt.Attachment 10727

Removed rear fender and installed Whelen TIR3 LED light in place of the red reflector.
    I was going to recess the light using Whelen's special gasket. On taking off the reflector, I could see that a lot of plastic surgery would be necessary to cut an opening for the gasket. Not only would it affect the integrity of the plastic housing that holds the licence plate mount and licence plate light mount, it would also remove half the splash shielding that protects the exposed wiring from rear tire splash and kick-up.
    I decided to just surface mount the TIR3 instead of recessing it. Reward didn't outweigh risk on this one.

Next I'll remove the backrest, luggage rack, and the seat to get at the wiring to install a Kury 908 brake light controller for the rear brake lights and the TIR3 so they all operate in harmony.
    I also need to access the DLC under the seat for my digital gear indicator, to install at a later date.

I'll need to put a 2 pin quick disconnect in for the TIR3.
    Otherwise, if/when I need to remove the rear fender for tire service, I would have to cut the wires to the TIR3.

Attachment 10730Attachment 10731Attachment 10732Attachment 10733

From the left, pic 1 is of the TIR3 mounted where the reflector was
    To the right, this shows the 4 coloured wires from the TIR3 passing through a grommeted hole into the protected area on the inside of the fender (I drilled the hole to match the grommet size). If I were to have used the recessed grommet from Whelen, that large black separator though which the wires pass would have to be cut out.
    Next, a pic of the tire side of the fender. I used waterproof electrical mastic to seal the back of the TIR3 and the grommet. I then wrapped the 4 TIR3 wires with Scotch 33 electrical tape. I may yet add a short piece of split loom armor over the electrical tape.
    Last pic on the far right, a larger view of pic #3. To the right of the 4 coloured TIR3 wires is the electrical connector for the licence plate light.

As I continue with the install of the brake modulator, I'll post more pics showing where I'll tap into the brake filament wire (green with red stripe) leaving the harness under the seat, and the quick molex disconnect for the red and black TIR3 wires. Only 2 of the 4 TIR3 wires are connected (red and black). The other two (grey and white) are used for synch and flash pattern setup respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by six2go View Post
    Cee Bailey and Clear View measure their shields differently. My 11" CB was only marginally shorter than the Small(14"-14 3/4") Clearview using the Clearview method. I am 5'8" so we're close in size. The 11" CB kept the pressure from my chest & face and allowed some air to hit right at the top of my helmet. Worked, but still had to max out the radio to hear it at speed. I figured that the recurve at the top of the Clearview would throw the air over my helmet, and it did. I mounted it in the low(14")position and rode that way all of last Summer. Somewhere I picked up a very tiny stone chip and with it being the dark tint, it was noticeable to me(nobody else could see it but I knew it was there). That bugged me enough that I felt I wanted to get a new shield so I thought I'd try the Sport Touring this time. I mounted it in the high position(14 3/4") and sat on the bike(on the center stand). I can easily see over it and from my experience with the Sport model I think it's going to be just fine. If it hadn't been for that little stone chip, I would not have bought the new shield.
    OK thanks for everything I struggled between the Clearview & the CB. I know you choose the Clearview. Yesterday I ordered the 13" CB with a vent in clear. I have in the past with other bikes had excellent results with CB shields. After talking to a gentleman at CB and measuring the way he suggested hopefully this will be the correct height the 13.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Doug K9CRT
    Decatur, IL
    2013 F6b (Red)
    Cage 2016 Chevrolet Silverado Z71
    Cage in Avatar Honda S2000

ADDED

Uh........Hummmmmmmm........Lets see............I.........added air in the tires.

Had trailer hitch installed in prepartion of getting a camping trailer this spring also had a center stand installed at the same time to make air checks easier.

Continuing from post 163

"I'll need to put a 2 pin quick disconnect in for the TIR3. "

I was going to go with non waterproof 2 pin Radio Shack molex connectors.

After a quick eBay search, I found and ordered these. At that price for 5 with free shipping for pre-wired waterproof connectors, I'll give them a try.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161338029319...A:3160&vxp=mtr

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Installed CB antenna today with DeerSlayer's (Foggy Bottom Motor Works) custom-fabricated bracket. Thanks to DS, the installation went great and looks great. See here:

Attachment 10712

While I wasn't looking, DS added something a little extra...

Attachment 10714

Gotta watch that guy every minute
    Glad to do it. Your cb is performing well also. The addition is for da folks who wander up and ask "Is that a Harley?"
    Deer Slayer
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it.

Installed a Kury 7104 chrome sidestand.
    Not only is it shiny, but the pad surface is a lot bigger than stock (no worries on hot summer asphalt now) and it is a much more substantial piece of metal than the stock side stand. I included a pic of the exhaust spring tool I used to take off and reinstall the spring. Without a tool like that the spring would not be easy to remove.

Attachment 10760Attachment 10761Attachment 10762Attachment 10763

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    Removed rear fender and installed Whelen TIR3 LED light in place of the red reflector.
    I was going to recess the light using Whelen's special gasket. On taking off the reflector, I could see that a lot of plastic surgery would be necessary to cut an opening for the gasket. Not only would it affect the integrity of the plastic housing that holds the licence plate mount and licence plate light mount, it would also remove half the splash shielding that protects the exposed wiring from rear tire splash and kick-up.
    I decided to just surface mount the TIR3 instead of recessing it. Reward didn't outweigh risk on this one.
    I thought the same thing, but really wanted the recessed look.
    All in all it was only minor surgery, it came out very nice and the structural integrity seems to be near stock.
    If you are worried about it, there someone selling the entire rear fender assembly for a mere $25.00 on eBay.