Fork Brace?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fork Brace?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    I've contemplated a fork brace, but it is not on my priority list of add ons. I recently forked( no pun intended) over the money to buy the Heli Bars. I can say this, that besides the comfort gained, my handle bars feel taught and firm as they should be. I recently got to give them a thorough work out on a trip through NC and the mountains. After some high spirited twisty riding, I am very pleased. I don't know if the fork brace would add any appreciable difference now or not. I do like riding pretty aggressive.
    I'm with ya on the heli-bars! I put a Kury fork brace on at the same time as I did the heli-bar install so I can't say how much is the bars and how much is the brace but with both the improvement in handling is substantial. Different bike, really.

It's a Sportwing!
    (heard that on another thread and have decided to use it)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Before the breathing air is gone, before the sun is just a bright star in the night sky.

Did not purchase a brace yet. Haven't noticed the need for one, find the bike very stable at speed. Chased down a fast kid on a 750 cc crotch rocket yesterday on high speed romp on a very twisty road well known Westchester County road, on his tail the whole time and went around him on the outside at one point. But I'm a very experienced sport bike rider and ride the F6b the same way I ride my ZX12R. Very, very Impressed with the handling of the F6b, UNBELIEVEABLE is a better word for a bike as big and heavy as it is. Only thing lacking, for me anyway, is not enough power and not having a sixth gear. The kid was amazed that I was riding a Goldwing, his words not mine, LOL. Told him had I been on my 12R I would have been around him and gone three miles back LOL. Love the F6b yesterday was first time I really pushed it to the limit since I got it two weeks ago. Great bike, a true sport tourer ! Glad my wife wasn't on the back, she freaks if I go Over 60mph.

Quote Originally Posted by pvmarcon View Post

Only thing lacking, for me anyway, is not enough power

Contact George Parker ( gl1800turbotech@shaw.ca )... $9,000 for a Garrett T-28 single turbo kit installed. I think he'll need your bike at his shop for the work.

I can't say what tuning he's doing or not doing... but with Guhl actively working on a true reflash of fuel and timing, I think it's just a matter of time before someone has a real barnstorming Goldwing.

Sorry to hijack... regarding the turbo, I'm not too impressed with the demonstration videos that I've seen so far... but at this point I really couldn't say if all it needs is better tuning or if the piping is just not optimized. Turbos are quite finicky about their piping; it's got to be done *just* right to get the most out of them.

So I'm now wondering (hoping) that a fork brace will help control my high speed wobbles. If I don't win one I'm going to buy one and see.

I just ordered a SuperBrace. I have the occasional slight wobble. It's not anything really concerns me saftey-wise, just more of an annoyance. The brace may help, it may do nothing. Only one way to find out.

I'm very sensitive to the feel of the bike as it rolls along the road. I can feel the give of a tire carcass as well as chassis flex and vibrations not to mention tire slip. Due to this bikes geometry a fork brace drastically improved the handling for me. I could feel the stability (line holding) and increased responsiveness, immediately after install. It was like adding power steering to the bike. It also improved the straight up riding especially noticeable when hit with cross winds or semi-truck air turbulence and on rough roads (potholes, moguls, grooves, tar snakes) like in NY.
    So in my opinion, the F6B will handle fine without one but, it handles so much better with one.

PS: a fork brace will only enhance your ride, not the rider.
    Never cruel nor cowardly, never give up, never give in.

Interesting feedback. I'm coming up on 10,000 miles and still plan to try this mod.

Quote Originally Posted by NemisusDM View Post
    I'm very sensitive to the feel of the bike as it rolls along the road. I can feel the give of a tire carcass as well as chassis flex and vibrations not to mention tire slip. Due to this bikes geometry a fork brace drastically improved the handling for me. I could feel the stability (line holding) and increased responsiveness, immediately after install. It was like adding power steering to the bike. It also improved the straight up riding especially noticeable when hit with cross winds or semi-truck air turbulence and on rough roads (potholes, moguls, grooves, tar snakes) like in NY.
    So in my opinion, the F6B will handle fine without one but, it handles so much better with one.

PS: a fork brace will only enhance your ride, not the rider.

BTW... I went with the Superbrace. It has a split case design instead of the 3 piece style the kury and traxxion use, making it the most solid with less failure points.
    Never cruel nor cowardly, never give up, never give in.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyf6b View Post
    So I'm now wondering (hoping) that a fork brace will help control my high speed wobbles. If I don't win one I'm going to buy one and see.
    After I purchased my F6, I noticed the slight high speed wobble on the freeways. After I installed the Superbrace, my ride greatly improved. I no longer had the wobble. With that...I'm sure it also decreases the likelihood of tire cupping... so it may extend tire wear... that of course I haven't tested as I'm still on my original tires.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]