Fork Brace?

Thread: Fork Brace?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    What is involved to "re-seat" and how do you do this on the front axle..Just curious, thanks....
    HTH

Symptoms

Had my local dealer do the brake master cylinder recall work and had them install new tires this weekend. Only 8500 miles on my F6B (trying Dunlop Elite 3s this time, by the way). Dealer reported some looseness in the front steering and suggested repacking the front wheel bearings. I said not now. Rode 250 miles today and, while riding straight at some speed, when I give slight input to the handlebars I feel some wobble instead of a nice, tight response. Is this what you guys have felt and addressed with a fork brace? Does anyone think a wheel bearing job would be called for in this instance?

Thanks for any input, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Rich View Post
    Had my local dealer do the brake master cylinder recall work and had them install new tires this weekend. Only 8500 miles on my F6B (trying Dunlop Elite 3s this time, by the way). Dealer reported some looseness in the front steering and suggested repacking the front wheel bearings. I said not now. Rode 250 miles today and, while riding straight at some speed, when I give slight input to the handlebars I feel some wobble instead of a nice, tight response. Is this what you guys have felt and addressed with a fork brace? Does anyone think a wheel bearing job would be called for in this instance?

Thanks for any input, guys!
    I doubt you have issues this early; with your wheel bearings. Wobble in the front end can be improper torque (looseness) of the steering stem. Or a unbalanced/out of round tire....

Can you jack up your bike so that the front wheel is off the ground; and see if you can move the forks forward and rearwards; which would indicate a loose steering stem?

I only had a slight minute wobble at a very slow speed when turning my handlebars. The Superbrace removed that as well as the wandering that I could feel on a long sweeping turn at speed. There is no play in my steering stem.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537