Fork Brace? - Page 12
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Fork Brace?

Quote Originally Posted by khahn View Post
    First off let me say my riding style is so mellow I haven't felt the need to improve the bikes suspension and I don't plan to. I'll take the word of those that ride more aggressively and have installed the fork brace and have noted an improvement. My background is in engineering and I see the telescoping front suspension of a motorcycle as an over constrained system. In mathematics, 2 points define a line, 3 points define an arc. In the case of the front suspension 6 points are trying to make parallel lines, not gonna happen. Because there are machining tolerances of the upper triple tree clamp and the lower clamp and the axle involved, there is already fight in the system. Some will have a lot of fight, some not so much, kinda the luck of the draw on how closely the 3/6 points line up. One of the factors for seal and bushing wear in the forks is how good or bad these 3/6 points of constraint do in establishing parallel lines. I believe adding a 4th/8th level of constraint may accelerate the bushing and seal wear, or it may not, depending on how close those 8 points are to creating 2 parallel lines. So in my case I'm not taking the chance since I don't need to.
    I completely do not follow you at all; with what you described.

Adding that additional constraint (fork brace) is going to help reduce any inherent ability of the front forks trying to arc (flex) from the intended line of travel within them. The top of each fork tube body is now supporting the other laterally; not just at the axle pinch bolts and the triple tree clamps. Overall; the ability of these two fork systems to flex as an arc is now lessened. And that results in decreased bushing and seal wear.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

I installed a Superbrace yesterday, but I haven't had time to test it out, maybe take a spin after the Bears game.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg O View Post
    I installed a Superbrace yesterday, but I haven't had time to test it out, maybe take a spin after the Bears game.
    Da bears

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post

Adding that additional constraint (fork brace) is going to help reduce any inherent ability of the front forks trying to arc (flex) from the intended line of travel within them. The top of each fork tube body is now supporting the other laterally; not just at the axle pinch bolts and the triple tree clamps. Overall; the ability of these two fork systems to flex as an arc is now lessened. And that results in decreased bushing and seal wear.
    I think I will officially "bow out" of this fork brace discussion as it has become worse than the many oil threads....I am also not convinced that these things are necessary, or that they really work in the long run....So I intend to leave well enough alone and enjoy my F6B as it works fine for me....Those that swear by them and have positive results, more power to you and I appreciate your opinions and experience with a fork brace.....Ride safe and regards....

+1.I ran a Forkbrace on a 1500 Goldwing for 150 thousand miles with no seal problems.Biggest problem with seals failing in my experience is dirt and grime getting down in them.Keep those tubes clean and they seem to last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    I think I will officially "bow out" of this fork brace discussion as it has become worse than the many oil threads....I am also not convinced that these things are necessary, or that they really work in the long run....So I intend to leave well enough alone and enjoy my F6B as it works fine for me....Those that swear by them and have positive results, more power to you and I appreciate your opinions and experience with a fork brace.....Ride safe and regards....
    Nice to see you.Now I know you will sleep better not frettin anymore over that forkbrace you don't need.

All of this "engineer speak" is way over my head!

Performance has always come at a price.

On one hand a Honda Civic will run trouble free for thousands and thousands of miles on gas and regular oil and tire changes.

On the other hand a Fuel Dragster will need a complete engine rebuild in less than 1/4 miles and less than 4 seconds. Everything else in in between.

I like the sound of my OEM quiet exhaust, but there are a lot of guys here with aftermarket pipes. I personally do not see the need to go on those threads and declare the possible evils of such a change. Now--If I did install a Crobra system and did not like the drone that I read so much about, then I would voice that opinion on every thread possible. But never ridden a F6B with that change, why would I go and speak against something that I have never experienced---especially if they happened to be a forum sponsor who helps pay the bills around here. If I had a reason to discredit a sponsor for poor performance, then I would But think how laughable that would be if I followed ever "drone" or Cobra thread with words of how I don't need or want that stuff on my bike and how superior my bike is because I don't have it and never tried it.

Just sayin........
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ryder View Post
    Performance has always come at a price.

On one hand a Honda Civic will run trouble free for thousands and thousands of miles on gas and regular oil and tire changes.

On the other hand a Fuel Dragster will need a complete engine rebuild in less than 1/4 miles and less than 4 seconds. Everything else in in between.

I like the sound of my OEM quiet exhaust, but there are a lot of guys here with aftermarket pipes. I personally do not see the need to go on those threads and declare the possible evils of such a change. Now--If I did install a Crobra system and did not like the drone that I read so much about, then I would voice that opinion on every thread possible. But never ridden a F6B with that change, why would I go and speak against something that I have never experienced---especially if they happened to be a forum sponsor who helps pay the bills around here. If I had a reason to discredit a sponsor for poor performance, then I would But think how laughable that would be if I followed ever "drone" or Cobra thread with words of how I don't need or want that stuff on my bike and how superior my bike is because I don't have it and never tried it.

Just sayin........
    +1 Well said.

Well lookie here now....guess what just arrived?

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Well lookie here now....guess what just arrived?

That's the one I installed, top notch