Fork Brace? - Page 14
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Fork Brace?

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Just finished installing the SuperBrace; re-seated the front axle. Going to take her out for a spin and see how better she handles

What is involved to "re-seat" and how do you do this on the front axle..Just curious, thanks....

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    What is involved to "re-seat" and how do you do this on the front axle..Just curious, thanks....
    Loosen the front fork pinch bolts. Install and align the Super Brace with the top fork tubes; and tighten it's screws to 10 ft lbs.

Then...

Get on the bike and bounce the front end a couple of times. Get off the bike and re-tighten the front fork pinch bolts to 16 ft lbs.

What this does is makes sure that the bottom of the fork tubes are not "cock eyed" on the axle. They will move in a natural, unbinded position on the axle. I did scrutinize the axle closely before I installed the Super Brace and the axle didn't need any adjustment after the fact. But you should do it anyway, just in case it needs it

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    HTH

Symptoms

Had my local dealer do the brake master cylinder recall work and had them install new tires this weekend. Only 8500 miles on my F6B (trying Dunlop Elite 3s this time, by the way). Dealer reported some looseness in the front steering and suggested repacking the front wheel bearings. I said not now. Rode 250 miles today and, while riding straight at some speed, when I give slight input to the handlebars I feel some wobble instead of a nice, tight response. Is this what you guys have felt and addressed with a fork brace? Does anyone think a wheel bearing job would be called for in this instance?

Thanks for any input, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Rich View Post
    Had my local dealer do the brake master cylinder recall work and had them install new tires this weekend. Only 8500 miles on my F6B (trying Dunlop Elite 3s this time, by the way). Dealer reported some looseness in the front steering and suggested repacking the front wheel bearings. I said not now. Rode 250 miles today and, while riding straight at some speed, when I give slight input to the handlebars I feel some wobble instead of a nice, tight response. Is this what you guys have felt and addressed with a fork brace? Does anyone think a wheel bearing job would be called for in this instance?

Thanks for any input, guys!
    I doubt you have issues this early; with your wheel bearings. Wobble in the front end can be improper torque (looseness) of the steering stem. Or a unbalanced/out of round tire....

Can you jack up your bike so that the front wheel is off the ground; and see if you can move the forks forward and rearwards; which would indicate a loose steering stem?

I only had a slight minute wobble at a very slow speed when turning my handlebars. The Superbrace removed that as well as the wandering that I could feel on a long sweeping turn at speed. There is no play in my steering stem.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by XKnight View Post
    I installed my black Kury Gen.2 fork brace today. Very easy install and based on the quick test ride I took I believe the brace definitely makes the bike feel more stable in slow speed maneuvers. Did a bunch of close quarter U-turns and the bike felt better than ever. It's rock solid now compared to before when I could feel more movement/wiggle up front. Can't speak for high speed stability yet since I only road around my neighborhood at no more than 45 MPH to test the fork brace and make sure nothing was binding.
    My opinion as well....I could feel the difference since I ride the first time after installing the fork brace.

Will, I don't have a way to jack up the front end. What if, while the bike is in neutral and the brake applied to the front, I push/pull on the handlebars to look for looseness? Wouldn't this accomplish the same thing and get the forks moving if in fact there is a loose steering stem?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Rich View Post
    Will, I don't have a way to jack up the front end. What if, while the bike is in neutral and the brake applied to the front, I push/pull on the handlebars to look for looseness? Wouldn't this accomplish the same thing and get the forks moving if in fact there is a loose steering stem?
    No, the articulation of the front shocks would mask any looseness of the steering stem; if you did it in that manner.

At 1:15 in the below video; you can follow the process for checking a loose stem:

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Awesome video! Thanks so much!

devil's advocate

Okay, this is coming from someone who has almost no opinion, good or bad on a fork brace. And even less knowledge on one. But, it might bring up an interesting discussion (or maybe just be ignored).

It comes to mind why something so simple as a fork brace is not included in Honda's original design.

Maybe the flex lessens the strain on other parts. Not limited to fork sleeves/sliders, seals - even tires? It seems if the forks were completely rigid, bumps would be felt more by the internals? Opinions?

Again, this is just up for thought. I'm not arguing any ones point of view.
    Albuquerque, NM