Maintenance. Self or Dealer ?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maintenance. Self or Dealer ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Maintenance. Self or Dealer ?

U do it or let the dealer do it ? I paid $1300 that covers 3 years all factory maintenance including labor and I get priority that means I don't have to wait. When it is due I'll be the first in line. Did I do good or bad. I wud say I ride close to 10K miles a year. Considering it is F6B my annual mileage may go up.

Also Do u use regular, semi or full synthetic oil ? Ahhh the Oil question. I dnt knw y I even asked that . It is F6B, doesn't matter. May be if it was harley then full synthetic wud show difference. Anyway just checking...

If you already paid for the service then that would be the better option. For input on oil just do a search. We've discussed it many times.

[QUOTE=wantone;44147]U do it or let the dealer do it ? I paid $1300 that covers 3 years all factory maintenance including labor and I get priority that means I don't have to wait. When it is due I'll be the first in line. Did I do good or bad. I wud say I ride close to 10K miles a year. Considering it is F6B my annual mileage may go

So what does the factory maintenance cover? Oil changes, who pays for oil you or dealer? Spark plugs?
    I don't think this bike will need a lot of maintenance.

Well.... the dealer charges $100 for an oil change so in three years you will have broke even...if you have any problems , you are money ahead. Now for an oil change, I did it Sun, filter was $6 and oil was $12 for synthetic from Wal Mart on sale. I added the Fumoto valve and was done in about an hour. I got to clean some parts that were off and hard to get to and most of all, I enjoyed myself!

This all boils down to...... wait for it....... if you enjoy tickerin....if you don't, you did good!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

I do all my own maintenance except tire replacements. I'll take off the wheel, but not the tire.
    I save big $ by doing everything myself, but more importantly, I know it's done correctly. Of course, a shop manual is a prerequisite for this.
    As for oil, Shell Rotella T6 synthetic in 5W-40 weight. As for oil filters, I waffle between Purolator Pure One, Wix, Napa Gold, and OEM. Because the lower cover must be removed to get a longer filter in there, I just stick to the stock filter size.

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    As for oil, Shell Rotella T6 synthetic in 5W-40 weight. As for oil filters, I waffle between Purolator Pure One, Wix, Napa Gold, and OEM. Because the lower cover must be removed to get a longer filter in there, I just stick to the stock filter size.
    ...... NOT True ...... Unless the 2012-2014 lower covers have been re-designed from it's predecessor. I just replaced my oil (T6 also) and LONG Bosch 3323 oil filter this past weekend, although it's tight, didn't have to remove any body parts. Patience is key and a rubber strap oil filter wrench does the trick.

Rotella T6 and Bosch 3323 filter replacement ..... 15 minutes at most for me and under $30 total cost.

Goldwing is Happy, Happy, Happy

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

The two time consuming maintenance items you will need during your maintenance agreement are air filter change and valve adjustment. If you were going to pay the dealer to do all your maintenance, these tasks along with liquid changes (oil, rear end, and brake/clutch fluid) dictated by Honda should make the agreement price you paid a good deal.

I do my own maintenance. Just a part of the fun of the hobby for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Texas TC View Post
    I'll be by to let ya put any mods I get! I'll watch and hand ya wrenches as needed!
    "Great Britain's a great country, but it's not an idea ... that's how we see [America] around the world, one of the greatest ideas in human history." Bono

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas TC View Post

Quote Originally Posted by SmallPasture View Post
    I'll be by to let ya put any mods I get! I'll watch and hand ya wrenches as needed!
    IMHO, mods are lots more fun and far more satisfying than plain old oil changes. Haven't run into anything too tough yet,,,, but I'll let the stealer mount/remove tires from wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    ...... NOT True ...... Unless the 2012-2014 lower covers have been re-designed from it's predecessor.
    I question why you would say it's not true, when you imply you haven't tried it.