Maintenance. Self or Dealer ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Maintenance. Self or Dealer ?

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas TC View Post

I do my own maintenance. Just a part of the fun of the hobby for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallPasture View Post
    I'll be by to let ya put any mods I get! I'll watch and hand ya wrenches as needed!
    IMHO, mods are lots more fun and far more satisfying than plain old oil changes. Haven't run into anything too tough yet,,,, but I'll let the stealer mount/remove tires from wheels.

Service

As long as you run your bike 10,000-15,000 miles a year or more you will get your investment back, for the price dealers pay for services. If you don't ride that much then you got ripped off. If you look at the service schedule mainly they just do oil changes and inspections of all the levers. Once you rack up the miles is where it will pay off with air filter changes and spark plug changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    ...... NOT True ...... Unless the 2012-2014 lower covers have been re-designed from it's predecessor.
    I question why you would say it's not true, when you imply you haven't tried it.

I did the prepaid maintenance plan on mine as well. For my dealer that means 2 major services a year, plus unlimited oil changes, for the first 3 years. Since most of the services are glorified oil changes I only use up my 2 per year on the big stuff. My bike is 10 months old, has 16k on it, and just had the service done to replace the air filter (among the rest of the service) and that was a $680 service all by itself. The service that is the first valve check (24k maybe?) is 7.2hrs of labor. I will for sure get my moneys worth by the time 3 years are up.

As was said before, if you are a person who lives in a 4k miles a year sort of climate, or have a busy lifestyle that allows for limited mileage or whatever then it would be something to skip.

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    I question why you would say it's not true, when you imply you haven't tried it.
    I qualified my response with "UNLESS" it has been re-designed by Honda . There is room on all GoldWings from 2001 - 2010.

You make a great point, since the 2012-2014 models have rectangular foglight openings in the lower cowling, it is possible that the bottom has been extended towards the rear and hence making it more difficult. I will look at a F6B in Franklin and EAT CROW if I am wrong.

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    . I will look at a F6B in Franklin ,:
    It'll be nice to have our very own Admin finally get the chance to see a real F6B 'up close and in person',,,,

I remove the cowling, due to using a longer filter, plus a magnet,plus a cover over the oil filter....this also gives me a chance to clean the area up some and add some wax...
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    My response STANDS.

I looked at both the full Goldwings and F6B's at the Annual Rally.
    The opening underneath behind the lower cowling is indeed IDENTICAL, therefore a longer oil filter will and DOES fit on the F6B. I personally looked at 3 F6B's with the longer oil filters installed and the owners had no problems installing them. As said earlier it is a little tight but doable.

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

I use the longer Bosch 3323 Filter and I don't need to take anything off to remove my filter. I have done every oil change (6 so far) on my bike with that filter.

Good gawd man; at 6 changes you should be nearing 50,000 miles... or you're changing way too frequently.