Maintenance. Self or Dealer ? - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Maintenance. Self or Dealer ?

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    I'm well aware that Rotella is JASO MA rated. I'm also aware that Rotella has extra additives for ash deposit control. Does a Goldwing engine require ash deposit control? No. How does the ash deposit control additive affect the clutch? You and I don't know unless we test it scientifically. I'll spend the extra $2/liter (Canada) for Goldwing specific oil. If I could buy a sleeping pill prescription for the saved $8 then I would send them to you. It seems you are more agitated by my not using Rotella than I am.
    I subscribe to this philosophy.

I have a question mark in the back of my head when I reach for the oil jug and it says diesel on it. On the other hand, when I reach for the jug of Pro Honda GN4 and it says full synthetic motorcycle oil on it I don't have those doubts.

It's my bike; I get to choose the oil

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Hey Z, here's my original thread on it:

http://hondaf6b.com/showthread.php?3...ghlight=Fumoto

Any questions, shoot me a PM
    That's where I found the p\n! Thanks Ken!

This baby fits perfectly and has a hose nipple; you can use it with or without a hose attached. I'd prefer to have a 90 degree elbow on the end so that the oil didn't stream out. I almost went with another p\n that would allow me to fit an extension and an elbow on it, but eh, this one will do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyWho View Post
    I use the longer Bosch 3323 Filter and I don't need to take anything off to remove my filter. I have done every oil change (6 so far) on my bike with that filter.
    How much oil does it take per change with longer filter! I plan on doing oil changes once per year when I put the bike in the barn in the fall! genuine Honda oil!
    RIDE FREE/RIDE HARD/RIDE OFTEN

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    Good gawd man; at 6 changes you should be nearing 50,000 miles... or you're changing way too frequently.
    Personally, I don't believe in too frequently. I spent over 20K on a bike I plan on owning for many years the cost of an oil change doesn't bother me in the least.

Changes to date 1k, 2500, 5k, 10k, 15, 20k, almost ready for 25k. 5K is super easy to remember too, plus I get the all important "warm and fuzzy feeling"

Quote Originally Posted by F6BLK View Post
    How much oil does it take per change with longer filter! I plan on doing oil changes once per year when I put the bike in the barn in the fall! genuine Honda oil!
    Same one gallon.....
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    Same one gallon.....
    +1

I've checked it several times, its always spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyWho View Post
    Personally, I don't believe in too frequently. I spent over 20K on a bike I plan on owning for many years the cost of an oil change doesn't bother me in the least.

Changes to date 1k, 2500, 5k, 10k, 15, 20k, almost ready for 25k. 5K is super easy to remember too, plus I get the all important "warm and fuzzy feeling"
    My frequency has been every 4000 miles. I purchase several gallons of Honda oil, filters and crush washers from Wing Stuff when they have their freight free promotions. Inexpensive Honda oil with no tax and no freight is hard to beat. I have enough for the next 5 or 6 oil changes in the garage now. 2000 more miles and I will change it again at 24000. At that time, I will also change the shaft oil. I bought 4 oil changes for the shaft. I have NGK Iridium spark plugs, good for 100,000 miles, on order and will install them next week. I changed the air filter to K& N last week so I will be set for a while on the important routine maintenece items.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Happy Happy Happy

Quote Originally Posted by bob109 View Post
    It appears the "marketeers of motorcycle specific oil" have reeled in another fish Rotella T6 has the JASO endorsement on the container and the API Logo indicates it is "Non-Energy Conserving" which makes it safe for "wet clutch" applications. Diesels, by their very nature, create as much or more "shear stress" on oil, as any cycle engine, with shared wet clutch design, ever will

Logically speaking with the money saved, in not buying "motorcycle specific oil", you could buy some "Sleeping Pills" and sleep like a baby
    I like the T-6 and the Bosch 3323, but each to his own................"if it makes you happy, it tickles me plum to death", is what we say down here in GOD's Country!!!!!! After giving it careful thought I am now going to take all my motorcycle oil and go put it my Diesel Truck. Just because I can!!!!!!