Heat from radiator while riding warning.......
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heat from radiator while riding warning.......

Heat from radiator while riding warning.......

Today was extremely hot- 111 degrees. Needed to run an errand so I wore shorts. Once bike warmed up (To the point the cooling fan would kick on) the heat coming off the engine when traveling above above 30 mph was excruciating. I could barely keep riding the 20 minutes home. Turned my shins beet red at mid shin. It was about a 4" wide swath on both legs. I even tried splaying my legs to get away from it to no avail.

Clearly I should no longer wear shorts while riding anymore. Has anyone had this issue and found a way to deal with it?

Mike
    Hot in Sacramento

Dude, shorts, really???
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

Quote Originally Posted by Marauderm View Post
    Today was extremely hot- 111 degrees. Needed to run an errand so I wore shorts. Once bike warmed up (To the point the cooling fan would kick on) the heat coming off the engine when traveling above above 30 mph was excruciating. I could barely keep riding the 20 minutes home. Turned my shins beet red at mid shin. It was about a 4" wide swath on both legs. I even tried splaying my legs to get away from it to no avail.

Clearly I should no longer wear shorts while riding anymore. Has anyone had this issue and found a way to deal with it?

Mike
    Hot in Sacramento
    112, 113, 114 in PHX gets pretty warm even with jeans on.
    Yeah, the radiators really do their job.
    Go FASTER!!
    "1.21 gigawatts?! 1.21 GIGAWATTS??! Great Scott!!"

My previous bike was a Harley.
    You are talking "heat from the engine".
    Compared to that, F6B is not even HOT to me.

Go rent a Harley touring models and ride it for
    a day in the 100+F temp.
    I bet you will be glad n appreciate your F6B!

Talking to a Goldwing rider at the gas pumps and he had Bakers wings on his bike. Claimed they deflect the heat pretty good.

will the bakers bring the heat in on cold days?
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by zeus661 View Post
    will the bakers bring the heat in on cold days?
    With the hand wings, only in the sense that they block wind coming in. You pivot the wings to either direct air in or block air. They are surprisingly effective considering the small size.
    Ken (Hornblower)

Compared to my Harleys, the F6 feels like it has AC. I've never ridden it with shorts though nor do the temps get over 100 very often here. We just get a steady few months of 90+ degrees and 90% humidity. If you like feeling like you're in a sauna all day then Houston is the place to be.

HD Heat vs F6

There is no comparison whatsoever in my opinion. The heat coming off the rear cylinder of the Harleys is a ball fryer. I do not even notice any heat off my F6 and I regularly wear shorts riding in south TEXAS. I know some will frown on that but after 50 years of riding, most of that as a Police Officer, believe me clothes shred off you fast in an accident. Wearing boots, Gloves and a Helmet are what really count. The pic below I was wearing gloves and still got my hand shredded.Attachment 7307Attachment 7308Attachment 7309

They one and only thing I ever felt myself, as far as heat, is from the left engine bank at my left foot in extremely high Florida temps of well over 100 degrees. The left bank sits just a tad further back than the right bank (of cylinders). Bu then I am a dark person too, maybe that helps with heat.
    ED209 says RED is faster, you have 20 seconds to comply !