Back to the future?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back to the future?

Back to the future?

A year ago I owned a 2013 F6B Deluxe in Red. Loved the ride, not so much the paint. Finally after dialog with Honda and dealer I decided to trade the paint problem with the bike and got another Harley Ultra whatever. Now after a year I'm going back to the same F6B I owned. Sat for a year and never sold.

Why? There's nothing like the 'Wing' platform for comfort and smooth. Another reason is my hearing can't take the HD noise (engine and exhaust) much more, and Doc says change your ways of plan on $10K hearing aids for the rest of your life.

So tomorrow it's back to the Future and we'll see what happens with the new bike. I'm prepared to paint it this winter if it bothers me again.

What is the paint issue?

Did you get a good deal buying your old bike back?
    I wonder how many people bought there old bikes back?

Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    Did you get a good deal buying your old bike back?
    I wonder how many people bought there old bikes back?
    It never sold is what I'm reading.

To the OP: Good luck with it man. Just curious, do you normally wear ear plugs?

Quote Originally Posted by Bike44 View Post
    I decided to trade the paint problem with the bike and got another Harley Ultra whatever. Now after a year I'm going back to the same F6B I owned.
    Let me drive your Ultra till you get tired of the F6B again?

It's all good when it comes to motorcycles, and thanks folks for the comments. Yes I wear hearing protection as required, but the Harley's (especially some of the Softails I've owned with the exhaust right under the right ear) over miles are an issue for noise. The engine is also a factor. Lots going on inside.

And yes, I never really left the F6B behind. Those that enjoy the overall experience and ride know why, the rest will never understand.

The plan is to deal with the paint with topical treatment (like Finesse-It and Liquid Glass), and if that fails to please, then repaint. I have a friend with a professional paint booth and access to real paint that's not safe to drink like the stuff Honda prefers.

Congrats on getting your old F6B back again. Probably not a common occurrence, but it speaks volumes about how great a bike the F6B is.

I have tinnitus in my left ear, mainly caused from years of riding loud Harleys and not wearing any ear protection. I started wearing ear plugs a few years back, but it got to the point that all the noise from my Harley was just getting uncomfortable after any length of riding. My last Harley Heritage still had the stock pipes which aren't very loud, but between the pipes, the motor and the wind noise it was still too much for me. The full fairing on the F6B combined with a tall windshield makes all the difference in the world. Sucks getting older, but I'm glad to be riding the F6B. The power and handling alone are leaps and bounds above any Harley I've owned and I'm having more fun on two wheels now.

Quote Originally Posted by XKnight View Post
    Congrats on getting your old F6B back again. Probably not a common occurrence, but it speaks volumes about how great a bike the F6B is.

I have tinnitus in my left ear, mainly caused from years of riding loud Harleys and not wearing any ear protection. I started wearing ear plugs a few years back, but it got to the point that all the noise from my Harley was just getting uncomfortable after any length of riding. My last Harley Heritage still had the stock pipes which aren't very loud, but between the pipes, the motor and the wind noise it was still too much for me. The full fairing on the F6B combined with a tall windshield makes all the difference in the world. Sucks getting older, but I'm glad to be riding the F6B. The power and handling alone are leaps and bounds above any Harley I've owned and I'm having more fun on two wheels now.
    Yes I agree 100%. Fifty four years of riding scooters, airplanes, firearms, chainsaws, radios, despite ear protection it takes it's toll. Plus the HD's are bedsprings with wheels when it comes to moving air around. Nice bikes, but anymore I want WX protection and peace on the road.

We'll likely see snow within a month in Fairbanks AK, so at least I'll get to ride under the waterfowl that are heading south.

Quote Originally Posted by Bike44 View Post
    A year ago I owned a 2013 F6B Deluxe in Red. Loved the ride, not so much the paint. Finally after dialog with Honda and dealer I decided to trade the paint problem with the bike and got another Harley Ultra whatever. Now after a year I'm going back to the same F6B I owned. Sat for a year and never sold.

Why? There's nothing like the 'Wing' platform for comfort and smooth. Another reason is my hearing can't take the HD noise (engine and exhaust) much more, and Doc says change your ways of plan on $10K hearing aids for the rest of your life.

So tomorrow it's back to the Future and we'll see what happens with the new bike. I'm prepared to paint it this winter if it bothers me again.
    I would love to have mine painted orange or white, both look great on this bike. The white color really helps to make others in cars feel that subliminal mind set of it being a police bike. automatic back-off or caution response.

Old Harleys are worth the ride, the new ones
    a couple old ones I crossed...
    Attachment 8022
    Attachment 8023
    ED209 says RED is faster, you have 20 seconds to comply !

There are some DIY clear coat kits out there that are very easy to apply. Opti Coat 2.0 is one option; I've applied this to all my painted surfaces in the hopes of hardening up the soft Honda paint.