BikeMP3 cargo rack question
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BikeMP3 cargo rack question

BikeMP3 cargo rack question

I'm considering this rack,but I'm not clear about the mounting needs.
    Can I mount this directly on the rear of the bike or do I need the Honda brackets?
    Any benefit to either way if possible?
    Thanks!

Extra parts unless you have a deluxe model.

I have the standard model. What does the deluxe model have that I would need?

I have the Mp3 rack.It mounts directly to the factory back rest mounts. If you have added the back rest you are good to go. If not you will need the oem back rest mounting brackets......This is a good rack.You will be pleased with it and it appers to be about twice the size of the Honda oem rack for the same price.

Thanks for the info.

I am in the same boat....

Like you I was not aware of the brackets. If you look at the description on the bikemp3 website he tells you you will need the bracket kit and even gives the part number for either black or red covers.

I did not read that fine print initially but suspected that I would need at least the covers that have the holes per-drilled. At the dealership these were about $90 for the pair. I now suspect that there is also a bracket that goes under that cover but have no idea how much that would be to purchase. Once I got the part number for the mounting kit from the bikemp3 website, I searched it and found them on amazon.com. It was 90 bucks for the whole kit....

I will keep you posted on my progress.

Mike

Anyone who has done this on a standard model

Do I have to remove the rear case to do this install or is there some safe way to remove those covers from up above?

My installer did indeed need to remove the top case. It involved removing the rear tail light assembly as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CheckpointChcky View Post
    My installer did indeed need to remove the top case. It involved removing the rear tail light assembly as well.
    Tail light doesn't need to come out.

Seat off, small panel that sits above the tail light (has the keyhole in it) off, two small bolts behind that cover out, then the top panel pulls off. Two steel brackets bolt to existing holes in 30 seconds (right side shares the antena bolt), then it all goes back in reverse.

While the top cover is off the filler panels need to be switched, one screw under each then just carefully pop/twist out.

Have the MP3 cargo rack and it installs right on the Deluxe model with the backrest - no problem at all. As one review I read stated, "this rack renders the OEM rack a throw-away." It's bigger, OEM quality, looks awesome, great finish work. Highly recommend!