I was hoping to have it sold first......

Thread: I was hoping to have it sold first......

I was hoping to have it sold first......

........ but I didn't so I had my first service done yesterday at 3800 miles. That cost $174.00. So, now in have to drive it for a while to get my money's worth.

What did they do, or supposedly do, for $174.00...Curious as I am at 3485 miles but have already changed my own oil at 800 miles and really do not intend to visit the dealer until I have to.....Bike runs fine.....

Supposedly changed the rear oil as well. Checked valves, etc. you know, the nonessential stuff for more money. I think changing your own is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by CheckpointChcky View Post
    Supposedly changed the rear oil as well. Checked valves, etc. you know, the nonessential stuff for more money. I think changing your own is the way to go.
    If the dealer said they checked your valves they are 100% lying. Just FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by F6BPDX View Post
    +1

Well they might have "checked" them by listening to the engine run. I asked about the ticking in mine and they said ride it, it's a Goldwing. So I do.

Quote Originally Posted by F6BPDX View Post
    I'll second that. More dealer BS.
    Changing oil and filter is NOT worth $174. It might be to you if your time is worth more than $100/hr.
    And I'll add that they likely only checked the final drive oil level, not changed it. There's no reason for them to change final drive oil until after 3 years.

I hope they did not change the rear gear oil...Owners manual clearly states that it is not necessary for 20,000+ miles..Factory coats the gears at assembly so they wear in better...And as others have said above, it is a very "rare" dealer that does anything but listen to the valves before 32,000 miles or so....Sorry, but it sounds to me like you kinda got "ripped off"...

I prefer cherry flavored lube !!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Another part of the cost was one and a half hours of labor. From this point on however, I will change the oil myself.

Another part of the cost was one and a half hours of labor. From this point on however, I will change the oil myself.
    In my area most all the factory dealers charge $100 hr labor and the independent shops charge between $60 and $80 an hr. Until I shut my small custom shop down to the public 7 yrs ago my rate was $40 hr if I liked you and your bike did not arrive in three or four milk crates and two shopping bags and if you wanted to help & learn then it was $80 hr.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/