wanted: warm hands - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wanted: warm hands

I left Central IL Christmas Day for Sarasota FL (30 degrees). Pulled back in my drive 5 days later (19 degrees). I used Powerlet heated glove liners, you can get a simple glove liner kit for 125 bucks: http://www.powerlet.com/product/rapi...-liner-kit/543

The powerlet heated glove liners worked great inside of my Klim PowerXross Gloves which are waterproof Gor-Tex (not too bulky, windproof, waterproof & $100): http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/k...erxross-gloves So if you want to avoid frozen fingers heated liners & gloves are about the same price as the grips but much more effective IMO.

As a side note, at fuel stops I would remove the Klim gloves and leave the heated liners on while I was refueling. The liners are pretty thin providing good tactile feedback yet they keep your hands warm during fuel stops (especially if you remain plugged in as I do). The Klim PowerXross gloves are great Spring / Summer / Fall gloves (without heat, and provide decent tactile feedback). This summer a group of us rode 4 hours in 60 degree rain and I was the only one with warm dry hands (everyone else was miserable).

My F6B has heated grips which are nice in the spring & fall but once it starts getting below 50 degrees for extended periods you will want to put gloves on which somewhat defeats the purpose of heated grips. Certainly if you are going to put insulated gloves on then heated grips are of very limited use.

heat

Fla_rider, Thanks for the invite, I'll stay in GA for now. I ride L Ala and the Panhandle often, P-Cola down to Mexico Beach to see family.

d-shark, Appreciate the links. Enjoyed the review on the Klim, they must be real warm without heat. The combo in the wind at 19 deg. is impressive.

I appreciate all the feedback to chew on.
    II Kings 9:20...and the driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi; for he driveth furiously. A.K.J.V.

Bridgestone Potenza RFT 195/55-R16
    BT45R 130/70-18

heated grips OTW

OEM heated grips should be in second week of Nov. The Honda install instructions posted by F6B1911 look straight forward:

http://powersports.honda.com/documen...70-MJG-670.pdf

Not included in the kit:
    1) spray bottle of isopropyl alcohol. This helps in removal of the left grip.
    2) fine sand paper to clean old glue off left bar.
    3) type A glue. Should I order Honda glue or just go with super glue?
    4) beautiful assistant to steady the 6 while I push the left grip on.
    5) other?
    [/B]
    The instructions for the install will have me pulling parts off the bike left and right. Experienced grippers, is all of the removal needed?
    If so I'll do it according to Hoyle. If not how did you do it?

Other things I should do while I'm there:
    1) time for an air filter, OEM replacement in hand.
    2) other?

Thanks.
    II Kings 9:20...and the driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi; for he driveth furiously. A.K.J.V.

BT45R 130/70-18

i got this and they not bulky at all .
    actually they are leaner then my last pair of non heated gloves .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gerbings-G3-...item4abc9168e0
    Ride what makes you happy I do and right now it is my F6B

Warm hands now..

I appreciate the input on this warm hands thread. I have $240 in OEM heated grips and installed them yesterday with the help of my son and a friend in about 2 1/2 hours. I'm very pleased with the purchase. There are no hot spots. The directions posted by Honda were good.

If you tackle this project consider an air filter change at the same time. I also upgraded my seat bolts to the tapered type. These are much easier for me to get started with little worry over cross threading. I got them used on e-bay for about $10.

Removal of the left hand grip; compressed air was applied to the end of the grip and it popped it right off. Cool trick, thanks son. Brake cleaner on a rag quickly cleaned the old glue off. Installation of the new grip required 2 people. We had a small tube of motorcycle grip glue from another project. We spread the glue on the bar only. In hind site I wonder if applying some glue on the inside of the grip would have helped it slide on. The new grip was tight so shoving took place on one end and the second person held the bike.

The rest of the project went per the Honda directions posted earlier in this thread. Wiring was plug and play. Removal and replacement of the plastic requires attention throughout. Also in hind site I would have searched for a pictorial or a youtube on removal of the plastics. I'm very satisfied with the project and hope yours goes smoothly.

Happy cold weather riding...

BT45R 130/70-18