Looking for info on the best passenger backrest & luggage rack
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Looking for info on the best passenger backrest & luggage rack

Looking for info on the best passenger backrest & luggage rack

Hi guys,
    I'm new to this forum but I've already got a heap of info from people out there willing to help, many thanks.

I live in AU and my current bike is a 2004 BM 1150 RT which i have put 125,000 km over the past four years including around Australia (19,000k)with separate trips to Darwin and Alice springs and Adelaide (10,000k). as you may imagine, the BM wants a rest and I'm looking at a new F6B (about $29,000au).

I have already decided on a centre stand and a larger screen. I'm interested in your opinions on the medium size screen as i think the original for my type of riding is too small and the large is a bit too high.

I have decided not to include the factory passenger backrest at some (800 au plus fitting) but i would like to here any suggestions that you may have, including links, regarding a backrest and rear luggage rack that may be available in the US or elsewhere. TA

Back in 75 i had one of the original 4 cylinder gold wing 1000 which was fantastic and i'm sure the F6B will suit me perfectly.Attachment 8278
    Attachment 8279

Regards and best Chris

Welcome to the forum from another Aussie. There are a number of different rear racks including Mp3, Show Chrome, however , good luck getting a passenger back rest other than the OEM one. As far as i know, ( please correct me, anyone , if i'm wrong ) but no one makes one. Probably due to the unusual way it mounts. I bit the bullet and bought the Honda one for ( $700). As for the bike itself, you should be able to pick one up cheaper than $29000. Mine was $22000, ride away and included a centre stand. The taller screen is all down to personal preference. I was happy with the short one until i made up my taller one. It changes the whole feel of the ride and i wouldn't go back now. Good luck.

PS We have a number of friends who live in Canberra. You've got some great roads to ride up there. We were up there in March on the bikes.

I bought the seat back extender and a Corbin backrest off forum members, so there are some optionsP1180383.jpgP1180380.jpg

I'll have to shop around

Thanks for the info guys, i guess the backrest isn't critical at the moment, I still have to buy the bike and sell my RT.
    Still not sure what trade in the dealer will give me on the RT, he seems a bit cagey about it but i won't be giving it away for nothing.

Cheers Chris

rumble-b, you are just down the road, may be we can catch up sometime!

Quote Originally Posted by cosborn View Post
    Thanks for the info guys, i guess the backrest isn't critical at the moment, I still have to buy the bike and sell my RT.
    Still not sure what trade in the dealer will give me on the RT, he seems a bit cagey about it but i won't be giving it away for nothing.

Cheers Chris

rumble-b, you are just down the road, may be we can catch up sometime!
    LOL Just down the road by Aussie standards I've been into the Honda dealer in Canberra....lots of nice toys in there. They had a Red F6B in there that a mate of mine from McArthur was going to take for a ride. He decided not too just in case he liked it....he REALLY loves his Thunderbird and MT-01 and doesn't want to get rid of either. I warned him that once he'd ridden the F6B he'd have to have one.

Hi I am new as well and just picked my 6 up last week from CMC in Canberra, put a deposit on it before a test ride because of the price as it was a 2013 model. Took a 2014 model for a ride and then signed on the dotted line. Just got back from a loop through Murrumburra for lunch then Young, Boorowa and back home. The wife loves the seat and the OEM backrest and started to doze off it was so comfortable. Absolutely love this bike. The tall OEM windscreen in my opinion is a must, the short one was just to noisy for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ReserveBum View Post
    I bought the seat back extender and a Corbin backrest off forum members, so there are some optionsAttachment 8312Attachment 8313
    Any idea what model or part # that Corbin backrest is?
    Did its bolt holes match up with the Ultimate extender bolt holes, or did you have to fabricate?
    My wife would also like a larger backrest than the Honda accessory backrest that is now on my bike.

Hi Denisr, Was it the yellow or red one. I think they were better priced, when i spoke to CMC about the 2014 model with taller screen, centre stand and backrest.....which i think should all be standard, the price was around the 29. At that price i would want a good trade in for the RT. Will give you a wave if i see you around.

I will probably pick up a black one within the next month or so. My riding partner who has just sold his BM R100RT and replaced it with a Silver wing (you do this when you get old) is trying to get me to do the around Aust thing again, I think the F6B would take it in its stride.

By the way what does OEM stand for and did you end up with the standard Honda backrest?

Just by the by, talking about Canada as we were, that will be my next ride, lovely country, had the opportunity to be there a number of times with the Army. Alberta 1975, London Ontario 80s and 90s with DDGM.

Best Chris

By the way what does OEM stand for and did you end up with the standard Honda backrest?
    OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer

The OEM for anything to do with an F6B is Honda

Hi Denisr, Was it the yellow or red one. I think they were better priced, when i spoke to CMC about the 2014 model with taller screen, centre stand and backrest.....which i think should all be standard, the price was around the 29. At that price i would want a good trade in for the RT. Will give you a wave if i see you around.

I will probably pick up a black one within the next month or so. My riding partner who has just sold his BM R100RT and replaced it with a Silver wing (you do this when you get old) is trying to get me to do the around Aust thing again, I think the F6B would take it in its stride.

Just by the by, talking about Canada as we were, that will be my next ride, lovely country, had the opportunity to be there a number of times with the Army. Alberta 1975, London Ontario 80s and 90s with DDGM.

Best Chris
    I know this is in Melbourne but it is $10000 cheaper. Demo model. Even with shipping to Canberra its a good deal. http://www.bikesales.com.au/dealer/A...=0&pss=Premium