Handlebar risers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handlebar risers

Handlebar risers

Starting to get a little uncomfortable kinda pain between my neck and shoulder blades after a longer ride these days..Knowing I am pushing 74+ and not as young as I used to be, wondering if any who have added Kuryakyn, MBL, or others risers to the F6B bars if they helped any, and worth the money....I only ride more than 200/50 miles these days, but did get a little painful in my upper shoulder blades area after about 125 mile ride yesterday...I have the Mustang seat which sets me about 1"lower, and I think I have normal length arms??..I am about 5'9" tall with a 29"inseam and 198lbs...Any thoughts would be appreciated....

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    MBL 'Standards' here. Includes heavy allen 'cap' screws, unlike some versions w/shallow / thin head allen screws.

(Recently had a member with the shallow screw brand ("K") that had a tough time getting one of the screws back out. )

Does help with the shoulder/neck pain.

Rocky's allow you to move the grips forward (and back), but 'forward' doesn't sound like what yer lookin for.

Rocky's are my favorite, much more adjustability. Unless you want to spend the big bucks for some really good bars.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelley View Post
    Rocky's are my favorite, much more adjustability. Unless you want to spend the big bucks for some really good bars.
    +1

Just be prepared to futz with them a little before you get it right.
    Ride to work, work to ride
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Starting to get a little uncomfortable kinda pain between my neck and shoulder blades after a longer ride these days..Knowing I am pushing 74+ and not as young as I used to be, wondering if any who have added Kuryakyn, MBL, or others risers to the F6B bars if they helped any, and worth the money....I only ride more than 200/50 miles these days, but did get a little painful in my upper shoulder blades area after about 125 mile ride yesterday...I have the Mustang seat which sets me about 1"lower, and I think I have normal length arms??..I am about 5'9" tall with a 29"inseam and 198lbs...Any thoughts would be appreciated....
    About same height and same seat. Installed the Kuryakyn risers on mine set all the way back.
    Way better, for me. Everyone has their preferences.

I installed the regular MBL risers and they helped a lot with the pain between the shoulder blades. I'm of similar height and also have the Mustang seat installed. Ideally I'd like to get the bars up a little more and back another inch, but am not ready to spend the extra money for HeliBars. The risers are a good and cheap fix for now.

Thanks for the responses..Have not yet decided what I will do for now.. Doing some more research....Thanks again...

Well, for my 2 cents, I'll chime in here. I bought the Kury risers. They indeed brought back subtly the handlebars. However, I've noticed, after some longer days in the saddle, some sore neck and muscles between my shoulders. It's odd, because, I don't necessarily feel uncomfortable when I ride down the road. I do wish the bars were just a bit closer. I'm seriously planning to get the Helibars. Yes they're not cheap, but if I can get the ergonomics tweaked to be as comfortable as my Valk, I'll be extremely happy.

After riding again for a while today I did not notice much neck/shoulder discomfort as on my last couple rides..I think my age is working against me a little, at times, and also how much physical work I have done around the yard/house before I take a spin on the bike...So..for now I am going to leave the bars alone and not worry about it as most times things are fine when I ride....If I get a little pain, I'll just stop and rest for a few......

I've tried both versions of MBL's and thought my comfort zone would be somewhere between the two so I got a set of adjustables from Rocky. They are all good BUT Rocky's are adjustable and more importantly, thicker. There is definitely less bounce and a more solid feeling felt at the grips with the thicker risers. IMHO...