Gas mileage is sic!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gas mileage is sic!

Gas mileage is sic!

OK, I know we don't buy these toys to expect good mileage, but I like to check mine once in awhile just to see if everything is still performing as it should.

I finally got the items squared away that caused me to miss the Franklin Rally so last week I decided to take a road trip. I headed South from Northern Indiana for the Smoky Mountains for a 3 or 4 day loop. I traveled more Interstate miles than I really like to, but I had limited time. I did stay a night in Franklin at the Microtel(Good experience) and also enjoyed a meal at Fatz next door(endless ribs)before making the turn to head North through Cherokee and Pigeon Forge.

Intstead of just mentally calculating my mileage at each fill up I kept all of my gas receipts and figured my fuel consumption when I got home. All in all I was amazed at the mileage this F6B got compared to my '98 Valkyrie which normally returned about 36mpg on a trip like this.

Anyway, I traveled a total of 1207.8 miles and burned 26.925 gallons of gas for an average of 44.85mpg.
    When on the Interstate highways I was running at 72 - 80 mph and when on surface roads it was whatever the conditions dictated. I don't know what others are getting for mpg, but I'm really happy and surprised at my results even with a heavier bike with 300 more cc's. I think that the aerodynamic shape of the fairing & my small Clearview compared to the "barndoor" OEM Valkyrie windshield greatly contributed to my good mileage.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Great way of keeping track of mileage. Glad you had a safe trip.

that is probably a better way to calculate milage than what I'm using. I set the trip odometer at every fillup and calculate every time I fill up. Using that method which has a degree of error ( I do fill it only to the bottom of the filler pipe for precision and to keep it from spilling) I have gotten from 42 to a high of 50.
    The lower figure is on the highway averaging speed of between 75 and 90 MPH. The higher averages are in the mountains where I am at lower RPMs between 4th and 5th gears with no need to downshift normally. She just pulls from anywhere.
    Pretty happy with the mileage.
    I may start to use totals and gas receipts to be more precise...

I have tracked mine since day one 3 miles with an iPhone app. I average 39.77 over 2200 miles.

I don't know and don't care...... but the math does keep your mind sharpe!!!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    As I said in my original post, I just figure it once in a while to make sure something hasn't gone "out of wack". That was my first trip on the "6" and I now have a baseline to compare with in the future.

I've 1600 miles on F6. I may track the mileage eventually

I was just...wait for it...
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

I was just...wait for it...
    Lol....

Valkyries are notoriously thirsty bikes. Especially the 1997 models. Six carbs & snappy performance pretty much guarantees that!
    I too am pleased with the nice increase in MPG that the F6B gives me. I can remember on a trip to the Keys with me on my Rocket III & the wife on my '97 Valkyrie how much better MPG the 2.3L Rocket had than the Valk!

Didn't matter, I still sold the Rocket to get the wife her own Valkyrie!!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    '97 Valkyrie Tourer, SOLD!
    '98 Valkyrie Tourer, traded for wife's F6B
    '99 Valkyrie Tourer, traded in on MY NEW F6B!!!!
    '05 Shadow Spirit 750 traded for wife's F6B
    '05 Triumph Rocket 3, gone but not forgotten
    2013 F6B, black standard.
    2013 F6B, red Deluxe for the wife.