Need deer protection!!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need deer protection!!

Need deer protection!!

On my way home the other night about 11:00 pm I hit a doe. The bike and I are just fine. I got her in the back legs as she shot in front of me on a woods edged road. All that hit her was the front tire, and all I got was hair on the front fender. I just spun her around. She got right back up and ran off.
    My guardian angel was flying with me!!
    Now, since I have changed my shorts, I am all about looking for the brightest headlights I can put on the bike.
    Any suggestions?
    How about the deer alert "whistles", do they work?
    Thanks in advance for any advice, good, bad, hopefully funny and otherwise!

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar
    You definitely had your Guardian Angel.
    I speak on behalf of most, on this thread please DO NOT post pictures of your shorts

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

I hit my first deer in Pennsylvania. #2 in California Deer whistle? Not sure in Pennsylvania first bike had them, however I was bike 3. Maybe if the whistles are mounted backwards the deer would run away?
    Deer Slayer
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it.

Go with H.I.D.... at least you will be able to see their sad face as you hit them!!!!! There is a board member selling a great set for 1/2 price...look in "for sale"
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pap View Post
    How about the deer alert "whistles", do they work?
    Thanks in advance for any advice, good, bad, hopefully funny and otherwise!
    Sure glad to hear your OK,
    As for Deer Whistles,

My experience with those "Deer Whistles"
    showed me they are useless.
    When I was an over the road truck driver I lost count how many deer I hit, I put a set on a couple of my trucks but it made no difference. I have hit a few deer with every truck I had. I am sure they hear a 425hp CAT screaming down the road with 18 tires growling away, the problem seems to be that if they are already running you will not stop or redirect them. Deer are totally unpredictable!!!
    When deer get 'light' in their eyes at night they usually either freeze or run.. and if they run, then just a motorcycle rider, they go where they look... and what is it they can see? Yup, the light. Which puts us on a collision coarse with them. I have also noticed that blowing a horn often times produces a reaction from the deer, but due to the unpredictability, but you never know what the reaction will be.

as always ..just my 2 cents and barely worth that!!

If you should happen to install the deer whistles on backwards, you'll have a herd of deer chasing you down the highway !!!

I'd mount one on top of each front turn signal, that'll look cool

maybe a set of curb feelers off each saddlebag too
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2013 F6B Black
    Buell Lightning S1
    DR400sm
    Qlink Sumo

I put deer whistles on all my vehicles, including my F6B. All I can say is that I see fewer animals at night with them than without them. Before I put the latest batch on my daughter's car, I blew them in the house. The dog and the cat went nuts, so they must do something. I figure they might work sometimes and not always. And they only work at speeds of 40 mph and higher. But they are so cheap that there's no reason not to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    Sure glad to hear your OK,
    As for Deer Whistles,

My experience with those "Deer Whistles"
    showed me they are useless.
    When I was an over the road truck driver I lost count how many deer I hit, I put a set on a couple of my trucks but it made no difference. I have hit a few deer with every truck I had. I am sure they hear a 425hp CAT screaming down the road with 18 tires growling away, the problem seems to be that if they are already running you will not stop or redirect them. Deer are totally unpredictable!!!
    When deer get 'light' in their eyes at night they usually either freeze or run.. and if they run, then just a motorcycle rider, they go where they look... and what is it they can see? Yup, the light. Which puts us on a collision coarse with them. I have also noticed that blowing a horn often times produces a reaction from the deer, but due to the unpredictability, but you never know what the reaction will be.

as always ..just my 2 cents and barely worth that!!
    I would have to agree with you. but as stated so cheap worth a shot I guess. I put two on after a couple of close calls but still see the antlered rodents every where.

After covering close to a million miles in 4 wheeled vehicles and over 800,000 on 2 wheels I almost always installed deer alerts. Except a couple of years ago when I was commuting on my Wife's Suzuki B-King when I hit a "deer out of nowhere" and spent 3 days in the hospital. Needless to say I have them on the F6B. I am not sure they work but it can't hurt. Make sure to read the installation instructions because you are not supposed to just stick them on top or sides of the front fender. Very specific installation on cars and trucks too.