Need deer protection!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need deer protection!!

If you choose to run deer whistles, be sure to clean the bugs out. One bug no work!
    Deer Slayer
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it.

I think I will at least go with the deer wistles. Can't hurt , and they are inexpensive.
    As for the curb detectors, I would use them if they would shower sparks in the corners!

If I end up riding early evening, I look for a car to follow. I figure a car can plow the roads better than I can.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadWeary View Post
    If I end up riding early evening, I look for a car to follow. I figure a car can plow the roads better than I can.
    I teach that technique to students....
    Steve

Deer protection

I have been using the hornet deer whistle and have seen deer
    stop grassing and look around as I pass by.
    When a deer hears a abnormal sound he usually stops
    what he is doing to look for the sound for just a brief
    second before he runs that second could enough time to
    react to avoid a collision.

I think nothing phases them in Bailey. You drive by and they continue to munch in the ditch by the sides of the road. They even take naps in the shade near our house project with all the noise going on!
    Please don't spook the road-sheep.

Deer and other Nightime wildlife

I try NOT to ride on Country Roads at night, and if I have to; I wait for a car or truck to get on their ass and stay there until I get to my exit. In our part of the the country we have lots of deer, whitetail and axxis, and ferrell hogs and the occasional loose cow or steer. They will ruin your day for sure.

They sell the same things here in Australia to protect against colision with kangaroos. I have them on all my vehicles and have never seen a kangaroo standing by the side of the road with its paws over it's ears.

I beleive they have more of a placebo efect on the vehicle owner rather than a deterent to animals.

After hitting three deer over the years while driving a fire truck with lights flashing, siren blaring and using the air horns when I saw them, I am convinced that some silly little plastic silent dog whistle device isn't going to do anything other than giving one a sense of false security.

There are an abundance of forest rats around me mostly due to loss of habitat from the expansion of suburbia and the lack of many local predators. It's just a percentage game when your going to end up in the exact same place they are at the exact same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Ritsema View Post
    After hitting three deer over the years while driving a fire truck with lights flashing, siren blaring and using the air horns when I saw them, I am convinced that some silly little plastic silent dog whistle device isn't going to do anything other than giving one a sense of false security.

There are an abundance of forest rats around me mostly due to loss of habitat from the expansion of suburbia and the lack of many local predators. It's just a percentage game when your going to end up in the exact same place they are at the exact same time.
    +1
    I too have had them jump out in front of the fire truck at night (lights siren and air horn all going)...

Hitting a deer is like hitting the lottery, you never know when it's gonna happen & the only way you can prevent it is by "not playing".... Or in this case, not riding
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2013 F6B Black
    Buell Lightning S1
    DR400sm
    Qlink Sumo