Need deer protection!! - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need deer protection!!

As for brighter lights, the only thing that will do is to blind the deer. They are primarily a nocturnal animal and over the centuries their eyes have adapted to "night vision". They see better at night than we do in the daytime. Bright lights blind and confuse them so if they react to the whistles at all they can't see where they're going. I don't ride or drive at night unless absolutely necessary but when I do my eyes are constantly panning back and forth. It's just a crapshoot.

Quote Originally Posted by FF-Ed View Post
    +1
    I too have had them jump out in front of the fire truck at night (lights siren and air horn all going)...

Hitting a deer is like hitting the lottery, you never know when it's gonna happen & the only way you can prevent it is by "not playing".... Or in this case, not riding
    Well, since it is quite hard to hit the lottery, I might have had my "win" then. Hope to never win again!! Lol !!!

[QUOTE=six2go;49938]As for brighter lights, the only thing that will do is to blind the deer.

I'm fine with blinding the deer. Just wanting to find something to find them quicker. With the rut starting here, just this week alone, I've had two buck walk right in front of me while looking at me the entire time. They are getting to their "stupid" season now.

Quote Originally Posted by six2go View Post
    As for brighter lights, the only thing that will do is to blind the deer.

I'm fine with blinding the deer. Just wanting to find something to find them quicker. With the rut starting here, just this week alone, I've had two buck walk right in front of me while looking at me the entire time. They are getting to their "stupid" season now.
    Have deer always been attracted to you?
    Ever since I nailed one on my van, they just sneer at me and walk away....slowly.
    I think it's a "mob" thing.
    Be safe,
    Steve

I think it's a "mob" thing.

I believe you may be right. They taunt you and hope you will get out of the vehicle. Then the ones that are hiding in the woods come out and stomp you!!
    Deer are wicked

Last Sunday I was on the Blue Ridge Parkway in SW VA. Had 3 different near encounters with one or more deer standing in the road. This was late morning. I was mostly doing the 45 mph speed limit or a little more as I know it is deer time of year on the roads around here. I was able to slowdown with plenty of time to spare.

I noticed something though. They were all surprised. I don't think they heard me coming. I guess because the F6B is so quiet. The effect of this was they were not already spooked and running when I got close to them. That's a lot better than finding yourself in the middle of a herd of deer that are already moving in random directions because they heard you 3 seconds ago but couldn't see where you were.

They just looked up at the headlights. Then they were almost casual about running all in the same general direction off the road away the lights. These encounters were easier to manage if you ask me and less stressful. They didn't panic. I didn't panic. No one got hurt. It was a good day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Before the breathing air is gone, before the sun is just a bright star in the night sky.

The best deer warning is your own intuition. It's not just about watching for blinking eyes in the hi beams or mountain passes when the deer are coming off the elevations in the cooler weather. You have to ride with all your senses at 100%, including your sixth sense. I can 't tell you the number of times I've slowed down based on a gut feeling or inner guidance to find deer around the bend or on the road. I learned the hard way to follow my gut feeling, but I learned and am still around to talk about it.
    ss^,
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    I teach that technique to students....
    Steve
    For me three years ago that didn't work deer
    didn't wont to play with Jeep Cherokee but head butted me in ribs!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by fxdl2051 View Post
    The best deer warning is your own intuition. It's not just about watching for blinking eyes in the hi beams or mountain passes when the deer are coming off the elevations in the cooler weather. You have to ride with all your senses at 100%, including your sixth sense. I can 't tell you the number of times I've slowed down based on a gut feeling or inner guidance to find deer around the bend or on the road. I learned the hard way to follow my gut feeling, but I learned and am still around to talk about it.
    I'll agree with that. Works on the Police too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Before the breathing air is gone, before the sun is just a bright star in the night sky.

Why do cars think it's funny to honk at deer?

Returning home from Cripple Creek just before dusk last Sunday, we were riding about 100 yds behind a car, when I see brake lights and notice the eyes of a big doe and 2 yearlings grazing 20-30' off the road in a field ahead to our right, minding their own business! We slowed down and sure enough, the car in front of us honks and mama spooks and runs right across the road in front of the car ("Look Junior, its a deer!") and of course, the twins try to follow! The car speeds up and leaves, but thankfully the F6B has better brakes and horn than my old HD! I blipped the horn repeatedly, flashed the lights hi and low and apparently the yearlings heard and saw me, stopped and they stayed put in the ditch, as we crept by them! Sheesh! That could have been ugly, as I've had deer actually run in to the side of cars before!
    Keep the rubber side down... the brakes work better that way!