Madstad wind management

Thread: Madstad wind management

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by royr View Post
    I did not like having the mirror air wings with the Madstad. It changed the air flow. I removed them.
    Everyone is different! I love my air wings, I've said before, the best addition to any bike...ever! I have one of the first Madstad's with more adjustments possible than yours.

I haven't tried the Madstat, but have had a 19" Slipstreamer with vent, Klockwerks and currently am running a Vstream. I've also tired many different shields on various other bikes over the years and here is what I experienced and concluded. A shorter shield that you look over will always provide more airflow and sometimes more buffeting than a taller shield that you look through.

If you want the most protection from the wind get the tallest shield out there with the most rake/angle and look through it. There is a difference between having clean air hit you versus turbulent/dirty air (aka buffeting). Most folks just want to get rid of as much dirty air as possible and are okay with clean air hitting them, but some riders want as little air flow as possible. If you are one of those riders then go with the tallest shield you can find for the most protection from the wind.

Finally, riding a bike will always result in more airflow on the rider than riding in a car so if you're expecting a perfectly calm cockpit you will likely never be happy.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XKnight View Post
    Finally, riding a bike will always result in more airflow on the rider than riding in a car .
    Yup, and the fairing on the6 stops/redirects a lot of wind already,,

The 6 is the first 'real' faired bike I've had. I've pretty much forgotten what it was like to ride with just a shield or a 'batwing' type fairing,,,

I stick my arm or leg out doin 70 every once in a while just to 'remind' me,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    Yup, and the fairing on the6 stops/redirects a lot of wind already,,

The 6 is the first 'real' faired bike I've had. I've pretty much forgotten what it was like to ride with just a shield or a 'batwing' type fairing,,,

I stick my arm or leg out doin 70 every once in a while just to 'remind' me,,,
    Yeah, I stand up on the pegs every once in awhile to stretch my legs and to feel the air in my hair.

5'8", Mustang seat, so I sit a little lower. Have been riding w/a couple of inches, taller than stock, manufacturer unknown, on bike when I got it,shield. Lot of wind in the face but really didn't mind it. All this talk about the Madstad and what it does and the upcoming 10 day trip, prompted me to buy one. Got my 11" Madstad yesterday, put it on and took it for a little bit of a ride, not sure whether my expectations were to high or I have just not found the sweet spot, I am hoping for better than what I am feeling now, w/the suggestions in this thread I am going to give it a try tomorrow again.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    5'8", Mustang seat, so I sit a little lower. Have been riding w/a couple of inches, taller than stock, manufacturer unknown, on bike when I got it,shield. Lot of wind in the face but really didn't mind it. All this talk about the Madstad and what it does and the upcoming 10 day trip, prompted me to buy one. Got my 11" Madstad yesterday, put it on and took it for a little bit of a ride, not sure whether my expectations were to high or I have just not found the sweet spot, I am hoping for better than what I am feeling now, w/the suggestions in this thread I am going to give it a try tomorrow again.
    Most of us have found a "sweet spot" with the Madstad. It might take a bit of trial and error to get the best setting for you but I'll be surprised if you aren't ultimately happy with it. Not that this would necessarily work for you, but my best setting was adjusting it as high as I can while still being able to see over it. And, the best angle, for me, being slightly beyond parallel with the base shield. The great feature of the Madstad is the ease with which everything can be adjusted. You might consider it the "HeliBars" of windshields.
    Ken (Hornblower)

[QUOTE=Hornblower;83667]Most of us have found a "sweet spot" with the Madstad. It might take a bit of trial and error to get the best setting for you but I'll be surprised if you aren't ultimately happy with it. Not that this would necessarily work for you, but my best setting was adjusting it as high as I can while still being able to see over it. And, the best angle, for me, being slightly beyond parallel with the base shield. The great feature of the Madstad is the ease with which everything can be adjusted. You might consider it the "HeliBars" of windshields.[/QUOTE

Hornblower, Having never really ridden w/a shield that really affords some wing protection, does the "sweet" spot illuminate most wind off of your forehead, the swirling around your ears...